GIGABYTE AX370 Gaming K3 - latest bios F22b

CPU/APU

Ryzen 1700 3.0GHz

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Antec 500W

RAM

16GB  DDR4 2400

-----

I have moved to the new AMD system recently from Intel i7 920 (only keep graphic card), fresh install windows 10 with latest update of drivers and bios for all the hardware. and the system had black screen and back to normal after using the computer for a while, sometimes the system is completely frozen. I attached the event report from windows and AMD. I never experiences this issue when I was on the old system - same graphic card. I'm very frustrated now as this is my working computer.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I never think my card is defective, because if it was defective, it wouldn't work perfectly in my Intel system which I was very happy with RX 460. Also, it works fine in my friend computer who I borrowed the 1050Ti from.

The problem happened since I bought a brand new AMD CPU R7 1700, motherboard X370, 16 GB of RAM and Samsung M.2 NVME. PSU and graphic card are moved into the new system. Since the TDR Delay issue, I started to test the RAM, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to Asrock and the issue still exist. CPU and M.2 drive are eliminated from the source of TDR Delay issue because the system is work perfectly with 1050Ti.

Another point is the problem becomes worse if I install the latest 18.3.1 driver, the screen just black out and Dr. debug on the motherboard shows code 00, which is "Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear CMOS". I pressed reset button and everything just works as normal.

Base on all the tests I have done, I still have absolutely no idea where is the TDR Delay issue comes from, my guessing is about driver issue as they are the only component different after all the tests from my end or the graphic card just doesn't "like" my new AMD build.

There no support tool to track the source of issue, and I have no support from AMD so far.

I have spent almost 4 weeks for this bug, everyday include weekend, at least 8-10 hours per day. I totally give up now, ordered Nvidia 1050 card to be in peace (The only moment that I have experience 0 issue was when I use the 1050Ti from my friend). I just want to use the browser without any issue, I don't play game, don't oc.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21 Replies
regnetcc
Adept II

No one at AMD really can help me to fix this? When the flick screen happens (screen goes to black then back to normal), there is new event in the Event viewer:

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

0 Likes

You can report these issues to AMD by:

AMD Issue Reporting Form or:

Previous posts > Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one or more of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

0 Likes

Done that many times, no response. TDR delay fix, has tried it. Still crash.

Had consultant session with MS online through live chat and remote computer session, not resolved.

Kind Regards,

Vincent Tran

0 Likes
regnetcc
Adept II

I took out the graphic card back to the old system to test, 0 issue with the same driver and os, software -> Motherboard faulty

I refunded the brand new motherboard Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3 and get the new Asrock X370 Taichi, very happy now and 0 issue so far.

regnetcc
Adept II

The problem reappear on another brand new motherboard, I can't believe it still the same event "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.", crash exactly the same as the old motherboard.

I completely frustrated now and I don't know what to do, I would say driver conflict itself on AMD system while didn't do so on Intel system.

0 Likes

See if you can unmark you "Correct" answer so that others will know the issue is not resolved.

0 Likes

Unmarked the post. Thanks

0 Likes

Found this from AMD Support:

How to troubleshoot “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered”, ATIKMDAG.sys type errors

Article Number: 27116

​​This article provides information on the possible causes an ATIKMDAG.sys type error may occur and how to troubleshoot the system to prevent the error from reoccurring.

Issue Description:

During startup or use of an application, (most commonly a game / video application) the system or application will freeze, crash or exit to the desktop / a blue screen (BSOD). Additionally, an error message appears stating that the “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered” and may reference one of the following driver files:

• ATIKMDAG.sys
  • ATI2DVAG.sys
  • ATI2CQAG.dll
  • ATIVPK.sys
  • AMD2DVAG.sys
  • AMDKMDAG.sys
  • AMDVPK.sys

Issue Cause:

The issue occurs when the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) feature available in Windows Vista® and Windows 7 detects that the graphics card (GPU) has not responded within a predetermined period of time and reinitializes it with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) to prevent the need to reboot. There is no single cause for a TDR event to be triggered.Additional Details about TDR events can be found on Microsoft’s website.

Troubleshooting:

There are several factors that can cause the TDR event to be triggered. The following troubleshooting steps can help rule out / resolve the cause of the issue:Note! If you do not feel comfortable performing any of the steps provided in these instructions, you should have your system checked by an expert.

I noticed that the reply I posted was for Windows Vista and 7. But the general troubleshooting is probably the same for Windows 10 except reinstalling DX and those associated specifically with Vista.

0 Likes

Thank you for your post. I would say all the testing have been done so far. Memory test has been done without any error, CPU is cool without OC, most of the time under 40 degree, graphic card is cool as well.

Regarding to the hardware, I took the video graphic card back to the old system Intel i7 920 6GB Ram and Gigabyte motherboard with 0 issue, same windows and driver setup -> I don't think the graphic card itself has the problem.

As I think it was because of motherboard after test with the old intel system, I have refunded the motherboard and get another brand new Asrock X370 Taichi, the issue still exist on this motherboard after using the system for half day, but not terrible as the Gigabyte, the number of crash is far less.

The latest version at this time is 18.3.1 makes the issue even worse so I would say it might be driver issue base all the testing. Already report but I feel no hope at this moment.

The flickr screen happen every randomly so I don't know how to duplicate it, but it always corrupt the webpage in my Firefox Nightly which doesn't have any issue in the old system. Sometime Viber if it doesn't run in Comparability mode

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

check you hdmi cable & psu may not be the board or card or driver at fault. Alot of these common issues maybe failing PSU or Hdmi cables had this issue myself blaming everything else. Sometimes its the commong sense easy stuff over looked as I have posted in other forum postings. Check the minor easy to replace cheap things first as half the time its that not the hardware.

I have two monitors, both cables I would say pretty new, one is 3 months old (HDMI to Display Port), one is brand new as I bought a brand new screen. The thing is they works fine when I bring back the graphic card to the old Intel system to test, 0 issue in a week while I didn't have any single day 0 issue on AMD system, very sad -> Cable eliminated from the bug

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

be warry of Antec have had 2 600w units of 18 months fail which I suspect test another PSU I mean test as my 2 died coz of the cooling fan failing cooking the PSU. Its where 1 of my issues originally came from where I blamed driver which it wasn't.

0 Likes

This is a tricky one, as my old Intel platform i7 920, this cpu eats more power than Ryzen 7 1700. But the intel system doesn't have any black screen or TDR Delay issue -> I still don't think the PSU fail here, I use the same PSU for both system.

The computer is only use for web browsing, and chat application such as Telegram or Viber. No game, no OC, CPU and GPU rarely hit 100%, most of the time I would say under 10% load.

Thank you for your suggestion Plumboby!

0 Likes

best way is to use a Hardware monitoring program that shows the PSU Outputs under load. If all the outputs are within range (+/-)  under loaded conditions than it probably isn't your PSU. The important Outputs are the 3.3v, 5v & 12v outputs.

0 Likes

I just test the system with another PSU which I borrow from my friend who uses the AMD system as well, the TDR Delay issue still exist.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

might be a bugged operating system. An idea do a reinstall of operating system. Have had current issues with 10 creators edition causing havoc with drivers throwing my builds out. Had 2 go down with 10  creators bugs. Ended up going ssd & disabled fast boot in my bios fixed my boot hang I was getting. If your using windows 10 might be courted file. Do a registry clean & fresh OS install with fresh AMD drivers & try again see what happens no harm in trying if you have done everything you have posted.

0 Likes

I did have the fresh Windows install, not once, 3 times.

I am testing the 1050Ti from my friend with the current AMD system, there is 0 issue so far. I really exhausted with the bug. i'm thinking about buying a new Nvidia graphic card, but I'm still 100% sure that my RX460 is not faulty due to the card never fails in the Intel system.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

If a 1050ti crapvidia works in your system making me wonder is the 460 defective. Another idea is see if your 460 works in a m8s build & try it that way if u dont have to go crapvidia I wouldn't they are crap & there drivers are getting worse. I just managed to convert a few more to the AMD cards now as they so much better & crapvidia are bricking builds on onlder cards worse than AMD . I recomend to keep your rx460 & get it working I got a RX 560 & the best card I have bought even my stepson & his m8s are going AMD for videocards wise for ReLive & better cards.

0 Likes

I never think my card is defective, because if it was defective, it wouldn't work perfectly in my Intel system which I was very happy with RX 460. Also, it works fine in my friend computer who I borrowed the 1050Ti from.

The problem happened since I bought a brand new AMD CPU R7 1700, motherboard X370, 16 GB of RAM and Samsung M.2 NVME. PSU and graphic card are moved into the new system. Since the TDR Delay issue, I started to test the RAM, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to Asrock and the issue still exist. CPU and M.2 drive are eliminated from the source of TDR Delay issue because the system is work perfectly with 1050Ti.

Another point is the problem becomes worse if I install the latest 18.3.1 driver, the screen just black out and Dr. debug on the motherboard shows code 00, which is "Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear CMOS". I pressed reset button and everything just works as normal.

Base on all the tests I have done, I still have absolutely no idea where is the TDR Delay issue comes from, my guessing is about driver issue as they are the only component different after all the tests from my end or the graphic card just doesn't "like" my new AMD build.

There no support tool to track the source of issue, and I have no support from AMD so far.

I have spent almost 4 weeks for this bug, everyday include weekend, at least 8-10 hours per day. I totally give up now, ordered Nvidia 1050 card to be in peace (The only moment that I have experience 0 issue was when I use the 1050Ti from my friend). I just want to use the browser without any issue, I don't play game, don't oc.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Have you diabled any link stae between motherboard to videocard maybe an energy efficentcy issue throwing up the bug. To eleimanate I disable any form of power saving features OS wide & Bios wise usuallyt 1 of those things which I suspect is the bug. A trick I do with 10 is diable any power saving feature on my 10 builds with all Hard drives ssds included by not putting a timer on the hard drives all my power features on my OS are on max settings as far as I can go to eleimante any Power saving feature which I suspecting which is probly kicking in showing you bug. Handy hint dont go enery efficientcy in building if using 10 or any OS run on High preformance with link stae disabled in any Bios for hassle free Gaming, web browsing downloading streaming, I dont have issues with these bugs what so ever as I know my OS inside out to disable any form or hinderance which half these messures they incorporate can casue grimlins down the line causing issues like yours.

0 Likes