cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

troubledsoftware
Journeyman III

Re: Black screen after updating Radeon software.

Also am i not suppose to block microsoft basic diplay adapter?

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hey Troubledsoftware

I would not be blocking the Microsoft display adapter, windows needs a driver to work and display the screen, that shouldn't be causing the screen to black out and flicker other than its initial install, its the installation of 17.1.1/17.1.2 that you want to stop Microsoft from installing as its the "go to" driver that Microsoft selects from the AMD line-up.

After you finish this current windows install, don't install the Radeon software, just let it idle does it flicker or black out?

Software is not your issue, i believe your issue is your power supply, its under powered by 200w you need a new power supply. With all the things running in your system HDD SSD, case fans, water cooler?, motherboard power, CPU power, and finally your vega 64.

let me know how you go with this.

0 Likes
troubledsoftware
Journeyman III

Thanks for replying again 

My screen only flickers and then goes black when im in the process of downloading drivers 19.10.2 if running on microsoft drivers it doesn't black out. Also when using pcpartpicker and other wattage calculators there predicted wattage is just under 550 which i know it is a bad thing to have it under load

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hey Troubled software

The current AMD software recommended is 19.9.2 for the Vega 64 and 19.11.2 for optional. I would be trying 19.9.2 instead of 19.10.2. there may be issues with the Vega 64 with driver 19.10.2, there are issues for the RX5700xt GPU with the new optional 19.11.2 driver so i haven't installed that driver.

Hopefully you can get a driver installed that will work for you system.

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hey Troubledsoftware

Are you auto detecting the software or going to the AMD website and selecting your VGA and downloading the driver?

0 Likes
troubledsoftware
Journeyman III

I manualy select the driver 19.9.2 from https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-9-2  and paste it on a usb drive. I did the express install but it black screen at 40% then flickered back on with native resolution. During this time my mouse and keyboard was turned off then turn back on when the screen went black. This makes me believe that there isn't enough power for the system. I get back onn  in a few weeks once i get a higher wattage psu and let you know if anything has changed

0 Likes
troubledsoftware
Journeyman III

Good news!!! I switched out my gpu and now it works

0 Likes
niiic
Journeyman III

I have a question

Today I was installing the amd drivers of my friend's new pc, ryzen 3600 + rx 5700, monitor hdmi port, but suddenly the screen just go black but the pc was still working, i don't know what happened, so i searched and is a common problem in amd lately. My problem sounds like yours, but its a new pc, everything is new. The mb dont have on board video and i can't try new ports because her monitor has only hdmi/vga (that the gpu dont support). I can access the bios, but not the windows. I don't know what to do, i can try to clean the drivers with DDU and install again (but I read that just doing it probably dont fix the problem...) but idk what else to do... Do you know if I do your steps to disable windows update from installing drivers can solve my problem?

0 Likes
1000mdanny
Journeyman III

AMD MSI r9 290

Windows 10 pro

Now just recently I was playing Overwatch (a game that has never given me or my friends any trouble at ALL) and out of nowhere (I was in a lobby, not even playing the game so no stress on my system whatsoever) my screen goes black. It didn't turn off my screen as I saw it still lit up, but black. I couldn't use any of the controls and had to use the button to turn it off.

After that, any time I boot I see my BIOS from msi like normal, I see the windows 10 icon with thr spinning loading dots under it and then black screen again. I've tried reinstalling windows on both my HDD and SSD which did not help. Safe mode would not start. Settings to prioritize the internal motherboard gpu didnt do anything. It was when I took off my external gpu (amd r9 290 from MSI) that I got the normal windows login screen. I uninstalled my amd drivers using their own uninstaller and ddu. Now i can boot with my amd gpu as primary gpu but there is a greenish virtical stripe on the left side of the screen. Windows auto updates the drivers and causes the same problem again. I turned off the autoupdate, download new drivers, unplug ethernet, install drivers. Sometimes while updating, sometimes after the following reboot, I get the black screen again and I have to start all over. I've tried version 20.1.1, 19.12.2, 19.12.1 and 19.7.3 but none work and I keep getting the same problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

finalkenpachi
Adept I

i have R9 290 Sapphire also have same problem. Cannot play any game. Also giving black screen while browsering now. It's getting worse

0 Likes