cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hermitdeluxe
Journeyman III

Re: Black screen after updating Radeon software.

hey bro. made an account just to say i love you so hard right now omg. rolling back to 17.9.1 did the trick with the steps you provided. thanks a bunch

edit: nvm, intermittent crashing even on 17.9.1. upgraded back to 19.5.2, won't touch any games until this issue is fixed

edit 2: went back to 17.9.1 after jumping between different versions. i also upped my DRAM voltage to 1.65 from 1.50 and changed speed from 1600 to 1333. so far the issue seems to have gone away now; got to play Dark Souls III for 3 hours uninterrupted at last. i don't know what the issue is here -- whether it's either that my hardware is crap or the software just doesn't mesh well with my parts at all, i can't tell. i should add that my GPU fan doesn't spin so damn fast like before; max RPM was recorded at 1287, card at 73C, whereas before it'd spin close to 3000 at the same temps. 

specs as follows:

Asus A55BM-E

Athlon II X4 870K

HIS RX 560 2GB

Kingston KVR16N11/8

0 Likes
mitchelljones31
Newcomer

I have been having a very similar issue for as long as I have had my RX 480 GPU, however the most recent version I can update my drivers to is 17.9.3. When installing any new driver version, the progress bar freezes, my screen goes black and then my computer tries to reboot. This reboot then results in a black screen and I have to boot into safe mode to uninstall the faulty drivers. I can use version 17.9.3 just fine but I want to update my drivers so I can play some of my newer games. Has anyone actually found a fix for this and is able to update their drivers without issue? It would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hello Everyone

First off let me say i'm sorry its taken me so long to reply i have been smashed at work.

So i have been able to finally fix my issue and its an odd one indeed, but an easy fix luckily.

The problem isn’t so much with the Radeon Driver, its actually Windows and its anxious need to install drivers even when they aren’t needed. That driver for me being the on-board graphics that is a part of the AMD A7850K R7.

I tried a number of different ways to try and stop the driver from installing including removing the LAN cable prior to doing the DDU cleaner then installing the Radeon software after start-up, but as soon as then LAN cable is reconnected  Windows goes ahead and reverts and installs ye ol faithful 17.1.1 as the primary display driver even thought the primary display card is my RX480.

Clearly the problem for me is the on-board graphics driver, but I did the following and it works, after doing these steps I was able to install 19.8.2 I think it ways and have since updated (more on that at the end) but don’t fear if you get stuck because you have decided to overclock your GPU and its now had a catastrophic mental breakdown and black screened you will still be able to use the on-board graphics chip-set but it will just be working using the windows display adapter driver, more than enough to get you to what you need to do.

Thankfully after a lot of searching I found a few things and did those, I cannot find the original link I followed to do these, but I will do my best to walk you through the process that helped me, as well this link should also help guide you to where you need to go, and also do his suggestions along the way (it will save me a lot of writing or making a video)

Stop Windows From Automatically Installing Drivers - YouTube 

So the things we need to do are in Edit Group Policy:

Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Device Installation>Device Installation Restrictions

Then we need to make changes to (for me no.7 on the list): Prevent Installation of devices that match any of these ID’s

Double click on that and it will bring up a new window.

In the new window you will need to enable it, then click on “show” in the dialogue box that appears you will need to paste the display driver in there and click ok then apply in the settings.

This link showing and Intel driver doing the same will help: Stop Windows from installing drivers for specific devices - gHacks Tech News 

Go ahead now and use the DDU cleaner  to remove all traces of AMD drivers, and restart and do the install of the Radeon Driver, I would start with the very latest driver available from AMD for your particular chip-set and go from there as that’s what I did and it worked.

Now the exiting thing is i have just 2 days ago built a new PC, i did buy an MSI RX5700XT when they came out only for it to catastrophically bottleneck my CPU that being the A10-7850k (don't make my mistake).

New Specs

MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon 

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 

MSI RX5700XT

Corsiar Vengeance 3600 DDR4 4x8gb

Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB SSD

Old PC is in its box but i left the original SSD with it with windows 10 pro still installed on it if i need it at any point.

Please don't hesitate to still ask questions on this post, i know how hard it can be and frustrating. I will endeavor to help.

speedbleeder
Adept II

Try doing my last comment, it may help.

What are your PC specs?

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

I also tried doing the roll back driver to no end, but its definitely worth a try, unfortunately for me it was all about the on-board graphics getting windows nickers in a knot and then installing the display driver for that even though it wasn't being used as the primary display.

if you are using a 144hrz monitor make sure you have the latest driver installed form the company, and i would high;y suggest going with the DP port with a v1.4 cable as the HDMI just doesn't cut it as your probably aware.

See My latest reply to this Thread.

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hey Hermitdeluxe

Thanks for the reply and letting me know what you have done and tried. 

Hope all is still working?

If you are still having issues try my latest comment on this thread i hope it helps.

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Sorry for replying so late. Ticket with AMD continued for a few weeks but they just kept asking me to do the same things over and over adding something different to the mix each time, basically anything you can google and find out yourself and diagnose.

I did finally find a fix, see my latest comment on this thread.

0 Likes
troubledsoftware
Journeyman III

Hello SpeedBleeder

My system:

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • Sapphire Nitro+ vega 64
  • Asrock wifi x570

I have tried the group policy editor and now it doesn't black screen but it gives general error everything but the display driver will install. I've done everything over with a new install of windows and blocked the microsoft basic display adaptor.

Though after i close the error window and open policy editor again and disable the restriction. The screen goes back to its native resolution and stays on for a moment and flickers until it black screens. I dont know whether it is a hardware or a software issue as I know that my PSU is not the recommended wattage currently 550watts bronze. Pls help

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hello Troubledsoftware

What driver series are you trying to install?

What program/device did you ask it not to install? was it specific or vague? because if it was to vague and not like eg: 'AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT" (this being my primary, as i no longer have a supported on-board graphics).

Have you tried allowing it to install just the Microsoft basic display adapter? and blocking everything else? it needs a driver and it could be a conflict with Microsoft causing the failure.

When you disable the restriction it sounds like what ever you had blocked worked but maybe you weren't specific enough with the actual display adapter driver details?

Display adapter Driver Details.PNG

Correct me if i"m wrong but the 3600 series like the 3800 series doesn't support on-board graphics? its only the 3200/3400 that support on-board. and if your blocking your primary card then the Radeon software wont install correctly or at all and throw up an error.

After doing some research, and pondering your problem, it could also be that yes, your PSU is greatly under powered, the recommend PSU for a Vega 64 is 750W, so after the Radeon software is installed it would be taking control of the card and adjusting all parameters ram, mhz, including power. I would suggest purchasing the corsair RM850i or RM850x, i have the RM850i and its fantastic, supplying enough power to the GPU is just as important as the board and CPU required power.

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/rmi-series-config/p/CP-9020083-... 

Let me know how you go? and ill try and help with any questions you have.

0 Likes
troubledsoftware
Journeyman III

Thanks for relpying

My approach was different I blocked the microsoft basic display adapter which stop my screen from flickering and going black but it then gave me error 1603. The version that I am trying to download is amd 19.10.2. And Yes the 3600 doesnt have onboard graphics. So based on the problems do you know if it is a hardware or a software issue. Currently im doing another install of windows and repeating the steps.

0 Likes