cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

speedbleeder
Adept II

Black screen after updating Radeon software.

Hey,

New here but not to the AMD scene, so yesterday i attempted to update my drivers from radeon crimson 17.2.1, (for some reason this version doesn't do auto updates??), so i downloaded 19.1.1, and did the usual AMD cleaner and DDU clean in safe mode, rebooted started the driver install all went well, promoted to restart so hit restart, on start-up was normal with the windows loading screen then when it transitions to the login window the screen stays blank, left it for awhile in hope that it might comeback, restarted a few times just to be sure, tried all ports currently using DVI as i always have. long story short had to turn off the computer and force safe mode and use the AMD and DDU cleaner to remove, when the computer restarts all is working well.

Then attempted version 18.12.2, 18.7.1, 18.6.1, 18.2.2, same for all these, and yes between each try i used the AMD cleaner and DDU cleaner (i also opted for DDU claner to remove the C:AMD folder, and have windows not install device drivers)

So currently i have Radeon Crimson 17.2.1 installed once again as it works, computer has been on and off heaps of times to test.

Specs

ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer

AMD A10 7850K

MSI RX 480 8GB (waiting for the new RX series)

HyperX Savage 2133 DD3 4x8GB

BenQ XL2720Z (yes drivers are installed)

Any help would be appreciated, up until now i have had no problems it games perfect, never blacked out blue screened not a single issue.

33 Replies
speedbleeder
Adept II

Re: Black screen after updating Radeon software.

UPDATE

Tinight I was able to install Crimson 17.9.1 over 17.2.1. I should also add that I have ensured that all windows updates are done.

However I'm still left with an driver that is over  a year old, I would like to update this to one of the latest adrenaline series drivers. I am also concerned that even if I did get one of the new cards coming that I will not be able to install the appropriate driver without windows black screen on startup.

Yes I have tried installing an adrenaline series driver after getting the crimson 17.9.1 driver to install.

methvenc
Adept I

I wish I had a solution for you but unfortunately all I can say is that I also have this issue. Driver v 17.1.1 seems to be the only driver that works for me.I have tried multiple other versions with same issue. Once I restart I get black screen after the windows logo. I have to force shut down computer until I can access recovery mode and then disable, remove and reinstall v 17.1.1. There are others who have experience this issue, but I have not found any solution that works for me. Some suggested an issue with hdmi but I see you are using DVI. 

My next step is to contact AMD support to see if it is an issue with my card, when I have some free time. 

One thing I see in common, is that I also have an older APU chip, but mine is an AMD A8-7600. That may be part of the issue, I think I remember reading someone else having one of these chips who had the same issue. There were suggestions about something becoming messed up and the computer thinking the internal APU GFX was set back to primary. I checked my Bios and I have the internal APU GFX disabled.

AMD A8-7600

ASRock FM2A88X-ITX

8 GB DDR3 GSkill PC3-12800

ASUS VH236H connected via HDMI

0 Likes
speedbleeder
Adept II

Hey Methvenc

Since my post i have installed windows 10 pro twice, installed every update i possibly could and still the Adrenalin series drivers don't work. i have contacted AMD support and am currently trying to resolve the issue with them and do any suggestions they have if i haven't already.

so i have noticed after searching a lot of people are having trouble with windows 17.1.1, this seems to be the base driver for Win10 that has been supplied and certified, now the ONLY way i have been able to install 17.9.1 is downloading every update possible for windows including the latest security drivers, restart your computer in safe mode i always do this with networking off, use the AMD cleaner- dont restart yet, use the DDU Cleaner tell it to delete the AMD folder also and disable windows from installing drivers, select it to restart on completion, whilst it is restarting disconnect your network cable this helped a lot stopped windows from doing anything about the drivers. before you install drivers may i suggest you follow this walk through to delete AMD and ATI drivers from the compter and registry i had heaps that AMD and DDU cleaners didn't do:

Guide to fully removing ATI drivers | guru3D Forums 

After that and you restart your computer (with no network cable or connectivity) install 17.9.1, once installed allow it to restart like normal and plug in your network cable. This should be all good, this version has worked for me every time and no problems as yet, and i will say my FPS with 17.1.1 was between 45-70 with 17.9.1 its 70-120 depending on whats happening and what game (as a reference in War Thunder i get 100fps) 

I run a 144hrz BenQ monitor and noticed a big difference when drivers are installed so if you haven't done so i suggest even with HDMI install drivers for the screen from the manufacturer, have seen a few posts both AMD and Nvidia that if the drivers aren't installed that can also cause black screen on startup.

I have been getting my old drivers from:

AMD Radeon Crimson Edition Graphics Driver 17.9.1 Hotfix Driver - TechSpot 

lots to choose from as they are not supplied on the AMD website anymore:

i should also point out that for some reason on start up the installer for windows 17.9.1 began popping up after install, if you have this issue check startup through msconfig and task manager, then check task scheduler, if it still pops up download this driver from windows and run it autoruns (its a back door of sorts for task scheduler really good) run it as the administrator and there is a section for task scheduler there will be an AMD or ATI task in there un-tick or delete it.

Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs 

I really hope this helps you or someone with similar issues. I will keep updating this as information becomes available in the hope i can help anyone with the same issue, or until i get a RX600 series or the new RX vega series hopefully the issue does not follow me into that endeavor.

methvenc
Adept I

Just wanted to thank you for your response on this. I had read it previously but never got around to responding. I still have not installed 17.9.1 but will get around to doing it eventually, that or just sell the 560 and get a new card considering the prices have been dropping recently. I do appreciate the tip using autoruns, I also had a pop up to install new AMD software on every reboot. I saw something hidden in task scheduler. 

You mentioned you had submitted a ticket to AMD support, did you get anywhere with that?

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

Going to sound strange, but maybe try enabling the CSM module / mode in the bios. That's the compatibility support module.

Apparently this was an issue for the R VII in early release, but still might be of interest since it required a gpu bios update to fix.

0 Likes
methvenc
Adept I

jdrobinson314‌ I checked my bios and that option was already enabled. I think it's time for a fresh install of windows anyway so I am going to test from scratch and see how it turns out.

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

Did you have any luck with the updates?

0 Likes
cedon
Journeyman III

exact same issue, 

Windows 10 home, retail (Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134)

asus M5A 97 LE R2.0  AM3+ ATX motherboard

AMD FX 6300 processor

Radeon R7 370 graphics card 

as soon as i update to radeon drivers i get a black screen.

either using windows update, downloading the driver directly from amd's website (radeon adrenalin 2019 driver install), install just the driver striped out of the adrenalin package, from the device manager, old version or new, all end in the same black screen.

it looks like the driver finishes loading, there is a flash/blink where things look fine for a split second, then black screen

0 Likes
nwaticky
Journeyman III

Hello ,

I have Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 and had the same problem and none of the fixes you can find on forums helped me. BUT I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION FOR ME.

Computer>Manage>Device Manager>Display adapter>Vega(or whatever card you have)>Properties>Driver>Roll Back Driver

Do that and then restart pc and then update the drivers back from the same Properties>Driver tab with Update Driver button.

I should mention that i had a clean windows 10 retail edition installed and i use 144hz monitor but i switched from DP to HDMI thinking it would solve the problem, but it didn't i was still getting black screens, only after the driver thingy was done black screens stopped, i didnt switch back to DP to use 144hz yet,so i only use 120 Hz(HDMI) atm and its working for 3 days no black screen. I hope it helped some1.

0 Likes