cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jonilo5
Adept I

Black screen after installing drivers

Hello, recently I got this concerning issue when I have a video driver installed I get Black screen. This started happening when I didn't have a monitor and no mouse/keyboard connected to it, since I was working with my other computer while this one was supposed to boot up, when I connected my monitor and all it was black.

I found a similar post from 2019 but that solution doesn't apply to my case   My GPU is Radeon R9 270

----Desktop setup: ----

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor   
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M EXTREME4+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+

Windows 8.1, x64

I purchased the OS.
Age of system: 6 years
Age of OS: 6 years (havent re-installed as I remember)

---- -----

What I have tried so far:
* Recovery to earlier date
* Windows diagnostics
* Remove graphics drivers in safe mode using DDU

The last point is the most interesting because when I did that I could actually boot up in windows (with low resolution) and my computer crashes only when I have an active video driver on. What could cause this? The drivers worked flawlessly before. I have no idea how to fix this 

0 Likes
2 Replies
Jonilo5
Adept I

Update: 
I have tried different outputs, different monitors, removing ram sticks (since i had 16Gb but windows only shows 8gb), trying different video driver versions.

Almost considering updating to windows 10 but that is the last resort since I need to backup everything (idk how to do that properly) and might make things worse. One thing to add is that my computer doesn't have the Sleep mode button either now. 

Only "working state" is when I have the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, with other words, when I don't have a real video driver installed from AMD. 

0 Likes

Update 2021-05-02:
I got a new SSD and installed a fresh windows 10 on it, still the same issue with installing drivers leading to black screen which indicates that it must be the GPU or Motherboard hardware issues? 

0 Likes