Adept I

Black screen after BIOS update with 7900 XTX

Details of my computer

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Radeon 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline latest (23 something)
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • LG Electronics 27GN850 27“ DP and HDMI
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Seasonic 750W Gold
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • 4x8GB 2400 mhz

Issue summary:

I recently bought the graphics card 7900 XTX. Upon installation I had some trouble but after updating and tuning the card, the PC was working.

I decided as I was updating my system, I wanted to also update my BIOS, this is where hell started.

1 - I installed the latest BIOS version (7B85v1G) for my motherboard and upon completion the computer was keep restarting in repair mode. I reset CMOS and jumped the JBAT1 with a screwdriver, nothing to do, always in repair and if I did continue to windows 10 it would get stuck.

2 - I used a laptop to install an older version (7B85v17) of the BIOS and upon completion, MB lights up Red for CPU and no more keyboard or mouse lighting up. I attempted again to do CMOS reset and JBAT1 but it seems my motherboard is not resetting to factory.

My current situation is when I turn on the PC it still shows for a couple of seconds CPU red light on MB but then disappears causing no signal to any monitors or output and no peripheral turning on, no logo or bios being accessible. 

Can someone tell me what I can do? I feel a bit helpless atm and I am starting to think my MB is not compatible with the new 7900 XTX

1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Try installing the BIOS using the Flash Bios button. You could be stuck in a boot loop if you had your BIOS configured a specific way and after installing new BIOS or resetting CMOS you didn't reconfigure it properly. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Try installing the BIOS using the Flash Bios button. You could be stuck in a boot loop if you had your BIOS configured a specific way and after installing new BIOS or resetting CMOS you didn't reconfigure it properly. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Also make sure you have separate cables powering the 7900 XTX. It also recommends an 850W PSU on the product page.

cpurpe91_0-1679198213204.png

0 Likes
Terrenus
Adept I

Thank you cpurpe91

By attempting to do Flash Bios Button the MB wouldn’t recognize the USB drive in any format. Luckily I had a other one and that made the trick. I assume the BIOS update failed due to partially accepting my previous USB drive.

As you mentioned the 7900 XTX needs a 850 W PSU now that it turns on I have graphic lag just been on the desktop but also notice every 2-5 seconds it spikes to 100% usage by doing literally nothing. Will create separate thread for this.

0 Likes