cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cpt_salty
Newcomer

Black Login Screen (Windows 10) After Driver Update (R9 390X DD)

Hello,
I'm having an issue with my AMD GPU (R9 390X DD 8GB)

I upgraded the drivers a few months back and when Windows 10 was booting it would show everything and then when it came to the login screen it was just a blank screen and my monitor was warning of no signal to monitor. The machine was booted up though and would shut down normally by pressing the power button and waiting.

Of course, with Microsoft impotent revamp of Boot Options/Safe Mode then it became a pain in the backside to actually get a display, it was only pure luck that after the 15th boot I managed to get a displayed Login. I uninstalled the drivers as that was the only thing that had changed and went back to the previous driver build.

I decided after being prompted that there was a new driver available to just give it one more go in the hope that this new version/build would possibly not have the same problem. I was wrong however.

I'd like to use the latest drivers BUT not have to suffer these problems. Microsoft solution to possibly enter a safe mode is just shocking with forcing a faux failed boot etc. It's a HDD killer really.

My setup is as follows:

Intel Xeon  E3-1225v3

32GB RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 256GB

XFX R9 390X DD 8GB

Dell 27" - U2713H connected via Mini Display Port.

Hopefully someone has a solution. I can't really have the downtime involved and/or potential HDD damage cause by having to reboot constantly in the hope that I will get a login screen.

0 Likes
8 Replies

Is this a Server in a company since I see that the Xeon is a Server CPU?

Here is the latest AMD Driver for a Desktop Computer from AMD Support: Desktop​ .

To tell you the truth, if this is a Server, I don't know if the AMD Desktop drivers would be compatible. Maybe one of the Moderators can shed some light on this. Or you can email AMD Support and see what they say : http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

0 Likes

No, It's not running in any server roles.
A Xeon doesn't have to be used in a server environment, you'll find many workstations using Xeon CPUs.
Mostly for stability and the ECC Support.

Surely the mere fact my GPU is a dual slot 30cm long card would rule out even the notion it's running in a server role though lol

0 Likes

Am not familiar with those types of CPUs.

You can try Previous Desktop Drivers for your GPU card if the latest is causing problems : Previous​ . and see if by any chance any of them works correctly.

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your Desktop

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.

0 Likes

I'm no stranger to troubleshooting these kind of things.
However, I did all that last time and was still presented with the same issue and in the end resorted to the previous drivers.
I did it this time and I'm currently on the latest version. It's still given me the odd black login screen though but seems a bit more consistent.
Just going to have to see how long it lasts. Will keep you updated and I'm going to try running Display Port instead of Mini Display Port.

0 Likes

LoL, I know. I can tell that you are tech savvy by your answers. I just give basic tips in troubleshooting but when it comes down to very technical type of troubleshooting a driver or computer issues I just google and try to learn how to best assist.

On your MiniDisplayPort did you happen to have an Adapter installed to like convert MiniDP to HDMI or or some other format?

0 Likes

Nah mate, no adapters.
My monitor has HDMI, Display Port, Mini Display Port and a few other features like daisy chaining etc.
Currently leave HDMI and Display Port for other machines/devices that might require them.
I'm using the cable that came with my monitor, so it'll be of decent quality. It's a DP to mDP.

Easiest thing for me to try would be the HDMI but I'm not 100% sure if it will cope with the screen resolution, colour gamut or refresh rate depending on the HDMI revision. Display Port is always the more advanced and best option.

Have deliberately NOT been restarting my workstation as much as I've had work to do and also don't really want it to go down again in the meanwhile.
I'll give it a few days and run it in it's current configuration to see if it shows its ugly head again.

Still doing it.
Caused me a bit of downtime today.
I never had these problems when I was using the nVidia card I had previously.
Hopefully someone official can chime in...

0 Likes

This is a user to user help forum. If you want to contact AMD use one of the available links

0 Likes