cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DansWashed
Journeyman III

BIOS Flash Help

I have bought a Asus Prime B550M-K and a AMD Ryzen 5 5600, and saw after I bought it that I would need to update bios for it to support.

Do I need a compatible CPU to update BIOS?

Is there a way to update BIOS without a CPU on this board, also what usb slot do I use to do so?

https://www.asus.com/au/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b550m-k/

0 Likes
2 Replies
cwiggles
Elite

Hi,

From looking at the manual for your motherboard, I can't see any reference to being able to do a bios update without a CPU, so you'll need a compatible CPU for the BIOS the board is using.

From the ASUS support site, support for 5000 series CPUs was added in bios versions 3402. The following was taken from the ASUS support bios section.

PRIME B550M-K BIOS 3402
Version 3402
15.83 MB
2023/11/06

"1. Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.B
2. Update AMD 5000/3000 Series CPU fTPM version, please back up Bitlocker recovery key before updating this version BIOS"

If your system won't post with the 5600 then you'll need to find an older Ryzen CPU, install that and then update the bios to the latest, then install your 5600. If you don't have an older Ryzen CPU then you can try seeing if a PC shop you bought the m/b or CPU from can do the bios update for you. Some may do it for free, some may charge a nominal fee.

Best of luck

Craig 

0 Likes

According to your Motherboard Link it shows that your Motherboard doesn't have the BIOS FLASHBACK feature which means you need to have a CPU installed to access BIOS to update it.

If your current BIOS Version needs to be updated to be able to boot up and support your Ryzen 5600 processor you need to find a compatible CPU with your current BIOS Version and install it and then update your BIOS.

Maybe Asus can update the BIOS for you under Warranty or you can ask AMD for a CPU loaner.

This AMD SUPPORT Site will instruct you on how to get a CPU Loaner to update your Motherboard BIOS from here: https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/faqs/RMA-BKTS.html

0 Likes