cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BFV DX12 MultiGPU and DX11 Crossfire Support?

It's that time again to ask the question ...
Will BF'X' (this time X = V) have DX12 MultiGPU and DX11 Crossfire Support?

I tested the Origin Access 10 hour free Trial and ...

DX11 Crossfire will not enable.

DX12 MultiGPU will not enable.

I understand it is pretty early days for the game.
I understand if they are not working yet then it might take some time to get it running.

I just wanted to know if it will be supported.

EA have disabled DX11 Crossfire Support and DX12 MultiGPU on the Trial Version of BF1 and MEA games in the past.
The feedback on the EA forum to me has been EA did not want to give people bad impression of their game and Crossfire doesn't work.

I do not think that "Crossfire Doesn't work" is true at all in general.
BF1 runs mostly ok with DX12 MultiGPU, provided I do not use Radeon Overlay or ALT Tab out of the game to use AMD Settings.

I have asked EA what is happening here: Does BFV support AMD DX11 Crossfire or DX12 MultiGPU? - Answer HQ

Just like in Forza 4 Horizon, the R9 Fury X is underperforming in BFV.
It is only running at ~ the same performance level as an RX 580 4GB according to this:
Battlefield V GPU Benchmark, 1080p, 1440p & 4K Results - YouTube

Which again indicates to me that for the R9 Fury X, the X stands for 'don't care', unless I miss some other reason why an RX580 4GB should be faster?
Similar question, as here: Why is R9 Fury X performing so poorly on Forza Horizon 4?
Why is the R9 Fury X performing so poorly, at same level as an RX580 4GB?

I recorded the R9 Fury X test results and posted the videos anyhow.

If anyone is interested to see how a single R9 Fury X runs with DX12 and R9 Fury X you can see it here:

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip1 Intro - ...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip2 Norway -...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip3 Tunis - ...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip 4 Algeria...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip 5 Hamburg...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip 6 Bridge ...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Clip 7 Final -...

BFV 10 hour Trial Origin Access 4K Ultra Maxed on R9 Fury X and R9 Nano DX12 MultiGPU Settings. - Yo...

I understand I am running this at DX12 Ultra maxed out.
I have to point out that I can run like this on BF1 with MultiGPU enabled on the same PC with same GPU's.
BF1 run at 4K Ultra settings with R9 FuryX and R9 Nano in DX12 MultiGPU. - YouTube

I also note that DX12 in BFV is 'halting' and exhibiting FPS drops in some places in the game, even at 1080p, but I think that is an issue with the game.
Bye.

0 Likes
6 Replies

any updates here? amd cards are so cheap and rtx so expensive that getting 2080ti performance using two cards makes so much sense.... please...

0 Likes

I would like to see DX12 MultiGPU and DX 11 Crossfire support in BFV but how much sense it makes will depend on what which AMD cards.
Sorry to put a potential downer on this but ... if you compare to RTX 2070/2080/2080Ti cards.... and talk about RX Vega 64 in Crossfire.

1. Power Supply Requirement - 1 RX Vega 64 Liquid in Maxed out and undervolted draws slightly more power than RTX2080Ti. That's 1 card. You will likely need a PSU upgrade. I already run with single 1200W PSU and I would need to upgrade that to 1500W to Crossfire 2 RX Vega 64 Liquids.
2. Vega 64 Reference cards throttle as is because cooler insufficient. Two in crossfire will make thermals worse. I do not think it is a good idea at all. If GPU's throttle the Crossfire Image quality and performance definitely suffers.
3. RX Vega 64 Liquid seems to perform to spec boost clock but two AIO rads is difficult to fit in your case and these GPU are very rare. EOLed shortly after launch.
4. All AIB Vega 64 are large, heavy.  Two I think worth purchasing are Powercolor RX Vega 64 Red Dragon (Costing ~ 600 now) and Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+ (450). Both >=2.5 slots high & 1 needs a support braket at 1.6Kg making it a 3 slot GPU. Physical size because of large cooler requirement & weight not good for crossfire.
5. You could put both Vega 64 on waterblocks but by that time with additional cost and expense - you will likely be better to buy a single RTX2080Ti.
6. Could try one RX Vega 64 AIB card plus a 2 slot high AIB RX Vega 56 - Powere Color RX Vega 56 Red Dragon for example. But problems reported in various places about RX Vega 64 and 56 not working in Crossfire. I am looking at it next.

In terms of GPU physical size and power requirement - I would guess similar story for some RX 590 models.

i run 2x vega

mainly because its amd and not nvidia, i have a freesync monitor so im not switching to gsync anytime soon

my pc pulls 760 from the wall while running both gpu at stock 100% and prime95 to max out cpu

i do have alot in my pc aswell so i would expect slightly less for most people

at spikes the draw can hit 900 mainly the start up point so i would suggest a good 1200w psu

with a decent undervolt it will drop down a good chunk

i have a strix and a reference under custom water blocks temps sit at 30 under full load which is about 7c above ambient

for reference in uk i paid 430 for my ref card at launch price, then 400 for my strix with the 3 games that i would going to buy anyway

making my actual cost of the 2 vega 670 plus the blocks which were 60 each making it 790

2080 comes in at 700 plus gpu block at 100

cost wise it means the 2080 and 2x vega 64 are similar price, so its down to support for crossfire and performance

i get higher 3dmark scores than the 2080, but due to lack of game support 2080 is the better option

if however crossfire was working, i would suggest 2x vega 56, at 300 each right now brings that cost to 600 for both cards, knock off 150 for the games gets you 450 which is crazy good vs nvidia

also leaves you with spare codes for each of the 3 games, but again only good if crossfire/multi gpu is supported

0 Likes

RE: with a decent undervolt it will drop down a good chunk

If I just undervolt, the XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU it runs slower and gaming FPS performance drops. It won't be very stable either if I go above a 50-25 mV undervolt on Power State 7, depending on driver version. If I run an XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid in Power Saving Mode on Secondary Low Power Bios I can also drop power consumption by lots, but I also might as well save myself 350 and be running an RX 580.

I bought my RTX2080 OC for 650. It came with a copy of BFV worth 60 I was going to buy anyhow. No need to watercool it, don't even have to run the fans at max. Outperforms and far more stable than the RX Vega 64 Liquid so far, although Adrenalin 18.12.2 is showing some performance improvement, it is unstable and doesn't even install correctly without using DDU.

0 Likes

I love when people talk about what they do, and not what they think or what they have considered to do

0 Likes
palulukas
Adept I

Greetings,

I also own two Radeon R9 Fury X and want to use it in Battlefield 5 via Crossfire (DX11) or MultiGPU (DX12).

Are there any plans from AMD-side or DICE to actually support one of the mentioned ways? I also share youngstarrocks oppinion.

With kind regards

Palulukas