Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

arunkumar413
Journeyman III

Best drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7640G and Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series

Hi Folks,

My HP laptop has a hybrid graphic card configuration. One with a built in graphic card and another with descrete card. I use linux distributions such as Mint and Ubunut etc. Below are the cards available on my laptop:

1) VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]

2) VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (rev ff)

What are the best drivers for these two cards on a linux machine?

I have gone through this doc RadeonDriver - Community Help Wiki  but can't figure out what is the best driver for the above cards. Could you please advise?

Thanks,

Arun

0 Likes
7 Replies

What processor/APU ? INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION 

Laptop graphics update...How to 

Laptops have different requirements/procedures than desktop computers when updating graphics drivers. It all depends on the processors....either Intel or AMD. "

For laptops with AMD processors/APU's:

You do not update the discrete graphics card...you update the APU. This updated driver serves both the integrated and discrete graphics. It is the only driver you install. It is important to know the integrated graphics on some APU's...

0 Likes

Seems like you haven't explored the manually select the driver page. It

doesn't list the APU or the cards that I mentioned.

0 Likes

You haven't told us what your APU is. If you don't know, run Speccy and it will list your processor.

0 Likes

Let me guess...you have a AMD APU  A8 4500M

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops 

For laptops with AMD processors/APU's:

You do not update the discrete graphics card...you update the APU. This updated driver serves both the integrated and discrete graphics. It is the only driver you install.

Yes, the processor is AMD APU  A8 4500M. But it lists the catalyst driver which is old. This wiki https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver  seems to suggest to use the radeon driver for the newer versions of the ubuntu. 

Also does enabling hardware acceleration put more weight on processor or the graphic card? I'd want the youtube video decoding and playback to be handled by the graphic card instead of processor.

0 Likes

They are old because your product is no longer supported with new drivers AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Hardware acceleration puts more weight on the graphics card......

0 Likes