cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Gerhard8020
Adept I

Benchmark drop with Adrenalin 21.5.1

Just installed the update on 5800x with 6900 xt. Timespy score went from 17900 to 17200. I benchmark  after every test, usually score goes up, this change takes us back to February score. Anybody know why? 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Cloudzs
Adept I

I cannot confirm this, as my score went up a bit. But this is a normal deviation?. Nothing to worry about. 

If you feel something is not right, Uninstall the drivers with DDU and re-install them.

View solution in original post

I tried rolling back but that damned scsi driver did more damage to my clean install than I could fix so I did another clean install coming back up on 20h2.  I just got to the point where I could run Time Spy and my scores are back to normal around 17k.  Running the latest AMD chipset drivers along with Adrenalin 21.4.1.

The first thing I did once I completed my initial clean install of windows was disable automatic driver updates to prevent this from happening again.  Shame shame on you AMD for releasing a bum scsi driver update through WU then dumping a new Adrenalin driver that just pooped out all over your customers.

I'll keep auto driver updates disabled until I go back to an Nvidia gpu.  My laptop doesn't have these issues with a Ryzen 7 5800h and RTX 3060 gpu.

May 8, 2021 after clean install.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Cloudzs
Adept I

I cannot confirm this, as my score went up a bit. But this is a normal deviation?. Nothing to worry about. 

If you feel something is not right, Uninstall the drivers with DDU and re-install them.

hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Mine dropped 2k and I immediately took a screenshot of my benchmarks and used the reporting tool to inform AMD.  Likewise my gaming FPS dropped in the same way.  Now my GPU clocks are less than half of max rated and I'm not happy!!! **bleep** AMD who wrote and tested these drivers before you released them in the wild???

Strange they send another SCSI driver out through WU just before they released this driver.

Range of benchmarks.JPG

0 Likes

My firestrike score is up 700 points, no idea what you guys screw around with ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Just for fun I ran the AMD auto update tool and it recommended to downgrade back to 21.4.1 so I am.

0 Likes

Screenshots of performance changes.

April 6, 2021 17067.JPG

May 8, 2021 after AMD SCSI update-low cpu score.JPG

0 Likes

I uninstalled Adrenalin as well as all the Windows updates, reinstalled Adrenalin an updated windows. This solved my problem. Score is back to 17900ish. 

0 Likes

I tried rolling back but that damned scsi driver did more damage to my clean install than I could fix so I did another clean install coming back up on 20h2.  I just got to the point where I could run Time Spy and my scores are back to normal around 17k.  Running the latest AMD chipset drivers along with Adrenalin 21.4.1.

The first thing I did once I completed my initial clean install of windows was disable automatic driver updates to prevent this from happening again.  Shame shame on you AMD for releasing a bum scsi driver update through WU then dumping a new Adrenalin driver that just pooped out all over your customers.

I'll keep auto driver updates disabled until I go back to an Nvidia gpu.  My laptop doesn't have these issues with a Ryzen 7 5800h and RTX 3060 gpu.

May 8, 2021 after clean install.JPG

0 Likes

I don’t have the SCSI driver installed. Maybe that is why I could recover. I did have the bios go into a recovery mode where it reverted to base settings I.e. no XML profile 1 or the bridge mode. In the end it is a happy story, I’m on the latest Radeon driver installed but with zero improvement on performance. I will be more careful from now, maybe give a week before I update drivers.

0 Likes

I've never seen anything like this.  Their scsi driver embeds itself into the OS and you cannot locate or remove it.  I used AMD's driver removal tool and even it couldn't get it out.  It even corrupted my windows store files and I tried everything I know using powershell and the usual command prompt tools to fix it and I couldn't.  I also couldn't even get any of my restore points to work to rollback to before it happened.

It cut my CPU power in an abnormal way by around 1/3 as measured by Time Spy and made my rx 6900 xt drop in a similar manner although not as extreme but its performance became noticeably cyclical.  Now keep in mind that my windows build was only 1 month old.  I have a new laptop with a ryzen/rtx combo also running 10 pro and it isn't affected in the same way that this all AMD setup is.

I really wish that I would've been able to pick up a rtx 3080/90 instead of this Radeon.  Even with not allowing driver updates in windows its still pushing them through so its only a matter of time before I get nailed again.

Driver Updates Disabled but this is still coming through.JPG

0 Likes

I'm having the same issues. Solid loss of 2000 or more per benchmark, despite now having a faster CPU with more cores.

0 Likes

For me it was the one two punch of their scsi driver plus 21.5.1 that crushed my cpu performance.  After I did another clean install the first thing I did once it booted was disable driver updates.  Now windows still downloaded driver updates afterwards but it did not reintroduce the amd scsi driver that killed my system.

Right now I'm on 21.4.1 which brought my performance back to normal but today I enabled SAM which works with my 3900x boosting my Time Spy performance by 200 points over what it was without it.

Nice, Thanks for the follow up. I have a 5900x/6900xt setup and it appears that performance has only regressed in regards to DX11, DX10, and DX9 benchmarks. I understand that scores will deviate between drivers and setups, but Unigine Heaven, Superposition, Firestrike, 3DM11, Vantage...basically any synthetic benchmark that uses DX11 or below seems to  have suffered a net loss, compared to previous drivers. I do not have the AMD SCSI driver, and I read somewhere that Microsoft pulled the last AMD SCSI driver from Win Update.

0 Likes

For anyone that has the same issue. My scores are down across the board for anything NOT DX12. DX12 benchmark scores increased while everything else decreased. Yes, people still use these older benchmarks on HWBot and on my personal discord server.

3DMark06
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm06/18187070/3dm06/18191098#

3DMark Firestrike
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/25544553/fs/25315519

3DMark11
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/14377949/3dm11/14436035

3DMark Vantage
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dmv/5871476/3dmv/5875904
3DMark.com

0 Likes