cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lg_karel
Journeyman III

Battlefield 1942 - please fix if possible

Today I installed this old game to play it after some time. Unfortunately it doesn't run properly. The game doesn't crash but it has incomplete ui that breaks it: no crosshair during gameplay, sliders in menu settings aren't shown at all, two white stripes at the top and bottom. Here's my system's specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X, active PBO, stock cooling

GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT (model: MSI Gaming X)
RAM: 32 GB, 3200 MHz, CL 16
Display devices: AGON AG241QG4 via DP, 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz

Driver version: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, BIOS version: 1408
PSU: Corsair RM 850, 850 W

I tried various patches and nothing worked. The game works properly on my older computer with Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU. I suppose the drivers somehow mistreat the UI of this game (my other old games using DirectDraw are working properly, it's just this one that has flaws).
I realize this game is old and played by few (or at least by not so many like newer installments) but if you could fix it for current drivers and GPUs, I'd be very grateful. Even just for inspecting it.

9 Replies

Unfortunately nobody here has control over the drivers. These are USER TO USER assisting each other forums. 

To talk to AMD about your issue go here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Apparently backward game compatibility has been an issue with Navi cards where older AMD cards are fine. 

No idea if AMD is working on it or not. You certainly are not the first to have issue. 

Some older games, not sure about that one have issues running on any GPU.

I find the Steam game discussion pages a great place for information on optimization or tips on how to get old games to run. If you have not checked their or just googled that game fore optimization tips I would try that. 

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Game is way to old now for anyone to do anything about it.I even contacted Punkbuster back when they dropped all support,It was an EA decision and no one could change it.Sad because I played that game right to the bitter end.

Tried playing it a few years back on an older machine and couldn't get it working right.

0 Likes

I have that game in Origin and it does not work anymore for me. RX 480, 20.5.1 driver.

0 Likes

It may just be Windows 10 as well not playing nice with it too and not a driver issue. Same thing happens with STALKER Clear Sky which is, or was as I haven't checked it in a while, completely broken on Windows 10 on both GoG and Steam versions, even when running it in compatibility mode and tweaking config files.

As pokester said the Steam forums are a great place to ask, as well as the EA forums, but I have to think there are better workarounds than using a legacy gaming system with period hardware and software given there is still an active community. There may be a fan made patch or two which allows it to be played properly too.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Battlefield-Games/bd-p/battlefield-1942

0 Likes
tht64
Journeyman III

Hi Dude,

Try this, it worked fine for me (german website)

I have a RX 6900 XT.

0 Likes

Try what? There is nothing there...?

0 Likes

So it looks like AMDs forum here is absolute garbage and wont even let you post links (good going guys, making troubleshooting your products even more of a hassle). The solution I found worked for me was downloading the "high definition remaster" mod from modDB for BF1942, I just installed the "dgVoodoo" + "LAA pack (UPDATED PACK)" and that fixed all the issues you've described. For reference I am using both a Ryzen 5900x and an RX 6900xt

0 Likes

0 Likes
tht64
Journeyman III

3 years later...

The link for AMD patch that saved me is

https://bf42.de.tl/BF42-Tipps-und-Hilfe.htm

0 Likes