cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Maestro1334
Adept I

Bad Anti-Aliasing / shimmering edges / LOD / Texture pop-in / low-res shadows across all games

Hello everyone, I am not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but here goes.

This problem started after updating my AMD GPU driver from 20.4.2 to 20.9.1 using DDU (without safe mode, I know).

Ever since then all my games have issues that look like this. I recorded this video just now to show you what I mean and what No Man's Sky looks like for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLdB19eyFfE

I also show you my AA settings in this video. All driver settings are on default as I just did a completely fresh install of windows 10 and just installed the 20.4.2 AMD driver, which used to work perfectly fine before this problem started.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

There is an entire discord channel dedicated to finding out more about this problem. If anyone is interested here is the link:
https://discord.gg/EZcRNBGvAn

Thank you for reading and I eagerly await any replies.

15 Replies

You need to furnish basic information:

Laptop or Desktop graphics?

Which Processor/APU ?

Graphics card?

Check Device Manager for any yellow error marks.

Hey, thank you for your reply. I am happy to provide any additional information.

Desktop PC:

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 GAMING 8GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W Full Modular

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

RAM: GSkill 2x 8GB @3600mhz c16

I don't see any yellow error marks in Device Manager.

0 Likes
Maestro1334
Adept I

Anyone has any ideas?

0 Likes

I would reinstall the AMD driver..this time using DDU in safe mode. Delete all drivers in the C:/AMD folder first and have Win10 set to not check for updates.

Already tried that and unfortunately didn't work. Tried it with old drivers and new drivers.

Some things I have tried:

- Resetting PC (reinstall windows)

- Taking out GPU, run pc (no output), put back in GPU

- Reinstall drivers (obviously) older ones, newer ones, with/withouth AMD cleanup tool, with/without DDU

- Change extension cord

- Change driver settings (all of them)

I am not the only one with this exact problem. There are about 300 of us in the discord I linked. Some people there think it could be caused by Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). It just seems strange to me that only the GPU -> AA, etc would be affected.

I'm going to my parents house this weekend and bringing my whole system along to see if the problem remains there. If the problem is gone over there, it has to be some kind of electrical issue or interference.

0 Likes
Maestro1334
Adept I

Problem was still there at my parents house, meaning it is probably not electricity or EMI related.

Any ideas on what to try next?

0 Likes

Have some problem with Bad Anti-Aliasing / shimmering edges
AMD RX 6600 XT.
Formating PC,
Reinstall win10,
Install win11,
Reinstall drivers
nothing helped, solution found?

0 Likes

Did you find a fix i’m having the same problem 

0 Likes

Found the Problem 
Try this 
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhBLqTVxcBM?

0 Likes

AA is something with the game, not your card most of the time. Unless you are trying to use MLAA, which does not work at all on RDNA graphics cards. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
xBang
Journeyman III

• Same thing started happening to me 3 weeks ago when I updated my drivers. I have tried everything but nothing helps. I reinstall windows did DDu and reinstalled drivers, and transferred everything to a ssd. I have even tried changing settings nothing helps. I took a video of what’s happening to me. Here’s the link. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. 
  • https://youtu.be/8m55qZZIvns
0 Likes

Picked up and rx6700 today and same issue. Any fix ??

0 Likes

Remove drivers, with amd auto detect drives. In windows safety mode. Install Recommended drivers. Not optional. This helped me.

0 Likes

RDNA cards have an issue where MLAA does not work. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

watched your video. 

You do not seem to have any actual issues. The shimering is FXAA and TAA. MLAA, MSAA, SSAA, FSAA, etc. Don't have this issue (as much). The textures on the leg of the ship seeming to jump around is Z fighting and it happens when two textures are essentially trying to be rendered at the same distance from the camera. 

You could try the following: 

Turn off in game AA (or leave it on) and use the AMD MLAA instead since it works on GCN graphics cards. (it does not work on RDNA cards). MLAA does a better job at AA than FXAA. (but it works differently so expect some things to look a bit weird, But also remember graphics should not be smeared with it on or off, if it is, reset your drivers your 2D drawing driver likely is bugged)

Z fighitng is something the game devs would need to fix themselves. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes