cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HiuLyX
Adept I

Audio makes Cracking and Popping noises after gpu install. (rx 6700xt)

Hello everyone, something happened to my audio after installing a rx 6700xt.

I started to notice popping and cracking noises when I listen to videos, music, movies, etc. Its driving me crazy and I cant find anything that solves this problem.

I already did a DDU 2 times now but nothing happens.

In my sound settings there are a lot of Monitor symbols with the name "AMD High Definition Audio Device" which are all disabled.

Does anyone know what Im talking about or have a solution to this ????

Thanks in advance.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Asus Dual RX 6700XT
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
  • Display Devices
    • Monitor Samsung TF35F 75hz via HD
  • Motherboard: 
  • msi b550m A-pro
  • CPU/APU
    • amd ryzen 7500g
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • 650W thermaltake smart bx1 rgb
  • RAM
    • 16GB ballistix 3200mhz

Captura de pantalla (74).png

1 Solution
HiuLyX
Adept I

Problem solved. 

It was my bad, I installed the 22.8.2 Optional driver version and not the recommended which is the 22.5.1

Once I installed the later after doing a DDU everything went back to normal.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I am assuming you are using the built-in monitor speakers.  If you have a set of external speakers you can try, I would plug those in and select them as your primary audio device.  Another thing to try is a headphone as the output for your audio and again select it to test the sound.

Perhaps there is a chipset driver update for your motherboard, specifically audio drivers.  Give that a look too.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Hey!

Well my monitor doesnt have speakers which makes me wonder why there are all TV/Monitor symbols. 

Then the chipset of the motherboard is installed, every time I did the ddu I intalled the chipset drivers too.

Oh and I also installed the Realtek audio drivers just in case that solves it. It doesnt.

On board HD Audio is Enabled on BIOS. Some more info.

Axton
Challenger

While I can't fix your issue I can confirm I also have sound issues when I moved to AMD this year. Did not have any issues with nvidia drivers, even when nvidia installed their own audio drivers.

What I can suggest is DDU the drivers (in safe mode) and just do a "Minimal" or "Driver Only" install when it asks.  This should prevent the AMD audio portion from being installed.  At least then you might be able to narrow it down. If the problem goes away.

Forewarning when you use a Minimal or Driver Only you won't have access to the fan speed adjustment so your gpu fans will run according to the vbios.  When I did this with my 6950xt the temps went into the 90s even when locked at 60fps, with hotspot pushing 100C.

You also can use Radeon Software Slimmer to do same thing AND get UI to control driver

I always did a Clean and complete uninstall on the DDU app. I can try that, ill let you know if it works.

As far as I know if I disable the iGPU of my cpu the Radeon app will provide me with the Tunning features of the gpu. Lets see.

To be fair, i had such issue with Chrome some time ago... Can be fixed by setting ANGLE background to D3D9
But never had such issue with movies or music.

I just did a clean re-install of the Razer Synapse driver and things are the same. I read somewhere that the reason for it could be the gpu. Idk it might be the gpu, dont know anymore.

Drivers can, indirectly. 
There is something going on with DX kernel in Windows and AMD GPU drivers. Games and other DX intensive applications can cause sound stutter when DX pipeline load spikes. 
Solution for Chrome frame drops is to set ANGLE to anything except D3D11 or D3D11on12 (well last one may work, but i doubt)
Solution to Chrome sound stutters (when alt-tabbing from game on load spike) may be setting Chrome ANGLE to OpenGL, but i hadn't tested it througly enough yet. 
Problem, at least one with sound stutters/crackle, is definitely DirectX kernel latency in Windows. I hadn't found a way to resolve this one, but i may try to go with around ways. 

[Small info addition]

For RDNA2 you can encounter audio stutters when alt-tab from game and in game. You probably use Enhanced Sync option in Adrenalin driver AND you also play DX11/DX12 application that uses flip-buffer presentation model (or optimized-flip model), AND game is not in exclusive full screen (one which takes some time to move from and in), but in windowed-fullscreen instead.

You can also make this problem appear in more DX11/DX12 games if you use Windows 11 and enabled "windowed-game optimization", as it forces flip buffer model. 

To avoid that just don't enable Enhanced Sync for DX11/DX12 games. Looks like you can still use it for OGL and VULKAN games though. Also it was fixed for RDNA3 based on my experience.

------------

For intermittent stutters though (ones that happen without user input, but at random instead) fix above is not one you looking for.

HiuLyX
Adept I

Problem solved. 

It was my bad, I installed the 22.8.2 Optional driver version and not the recommended which is the 22.5.1

Once I installed the later after doing a DDU everything went back to normal.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Glad you figured it out.  I guess we should stay away from the 22.8.2 optional driver update.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
sw1ft
Adept I

Hello. I am having the same or similar audio issues after installing an RX6750XT. I have tried driver versions 22.5.1, 22.11.2 and 23.2.1. 22.5.1 seems to work the best, but still has issues. If I have any audio playing, I hear clicks/pops when opening new tabs in chrome, adjusting window sizes of chrome or other apps, recording audio in Bitwig Studio (DAW software similar to Ableton Live/Pro Tools), and in other scenarios. With 22.11.2, the issue was so bad it would occur whenever I launched a game such as Valorant, though it would get better after the game was running for a bit. I tried doing a minimal install of 22.5.1, but this did not help. I did not have this issue when I was using my 5600G's built in GPU, before installing the 6750XT.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • XFX Quick 319 RX 6750XT Core
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • 22.5.1/22.11.2/23.2.1
  • Display Devices
    • Monitor LG 34GPB3A-B
  • Motherboard: 
    • Asus Proart B550 Creator
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    •  EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT 750 W 80+ Gold 750 watt
  • RAM
    • Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16

I had the same problem. Upgraded my 5600G with a discrete GPU (6700XT) and sound started to pop when I was using my motherboard's soundcard. When I was using my (older but still Win10-11 compatible) audio interface, I would always get a BSOD a few minutes after startup...

All those problems would go away with the 5600G's integrated graphics. This drove me crazy and I spent way too many hours trying to understand what was going on. I updated the BIOS and every drivers multiple times and tried everything I saw online.

From what I understand, it has to do with the PCIe lanes and the 5600G CPU. Seems like the CPU doesn't really support PCIe 3 16x even if it is supposed to.

I my case, to solve the problem, I just have to force the PCI gen in my BIOS to Gen3 and force x8+x8 lane configuration instead of Auto. The x8+x8 setting is the most important one.

After that, no more audio pops and BSODs with the audio interface. It also corrected the constant popping in EDGE and Baldur's Gate EE with DirectX rendering.

Running on PCI 3 8X instead of 16X is not ideal but I tested a few games with the 6700XT and I rarely lose more than 1 or 2 FPS...

I might try AMD's RMA process (bought the CPU 2 months ago) but there seems to be many occurrences of the problem in different forums and I might have the exact same problem with the replacement chip...

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the good info. I found the setting to force PCIe gen 3, but couldn't find a setting for x8 in my Asus BIOS. After doing some digging, I found some people saying you could tape over some of the contacts on the PCIe connector. I also found that some when some people installed their cards in the second PCIe x16 slot, it forced the x8+x8 configuration. I tried the latter option and it seems to work! I'm not noticing any substantial performance hit, and I haven't had any issues. Looking in the hardware details for my GPU in adrenaline, it does indeed look like it's running at x8, even though I have nothing in the first slot.

kingfredmu
Adept I

I have learned from reading your article. thank you very much

and I also got it fixed automatically with suonerie gratis  . thanks again