cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sufiking7812
Journeyman III

Audio gone after adrenaline update RX 480

I recently did a driver update to my Radeon RX 480 graphics drivers. I used the detect/install most up to date option with the AMD website and downloaded the  adrenalin 2020-20.11.2 minimal setup and it proceeded to install the most up to date version. the 20.9.1 version of drivers. I noticed upon the restart i had lost my audio. I have the red x next to a speaker saying no audio output device is installed. I then go to device manager and see that both my High Definition Audio bus under System devices have a yellow triangle. Also that my sound, video and game controllers have suddenly become "hidden". How can i resolve this problem and get my audio back ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Install the whole driver suite..not the minimal setup.

I have the same problem. RX 480. I followed your advice by uninstalling the minimal and installing the full suite, but it did not correct my problem. Thoughts? 

0 Likes

Use device manager to see if there is any yellow marks...errors

0 Likes

Yes. There were errors. I could not resolve them.

What solved this issue for me was completely uninstalling the recent graphics driver update from AMD and rolling it back to what I had before which was: win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.2-may25

I did, what I guess you would call a "clean install" (complete uninstall of previous version and selected the "Full Boot?" option before installation in order to dump any previous settings) for both new updates 20.11.2 & 20.9.1. However, my problem persisted until I did a clean install and reboot of 20.4.2.

I suppose the moral of the story here, at least from my experience this one specific time, is: "Don't update your graphics drivers unless you absolutely have to. Hahaha

0 Likes

Thank you for the help by the way, kingfish. I am still interested in what might have caused the issue for me and how I may have solved it. However, I am just so happy and blessed now to have everything back in order that I don't think I want to tackle another new update for a while. #gunshyofnewupdates lol.

0 Likes

Good move...btw I am still using 20.8,3 drivers. Updates are only necessary if a issue you are having is fixed...or new features added. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

0 Likes