cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sammyq2
Journeyman III

Atikmpag.sys driver causing BSOD. How can I fix this?

This has been a long battle. I have been getting mysterious freeze-ups and BSODs for over a year.  I have been getting some help from Microsoft, you can see the thread here​ and everything I have done up to this point.

The person helping me believes it's the atikmpag.sys driver causing the problem. If I run Windows Verifier to check the drivers, my machine crashes and I get a BSOD right away. One thing I notice when I am setting up Verifier to run, there are two versions of Atikmpag.sys. Does that make any difference?

Just now I uninstalled Catalyst, with driver version 15.201.1151.1008 and replaced it with Crimson Beta, driver version 15.301.1901.0.  Apparently, this did no good because it still crashes on Verifier.

Is there a version of a driver I can access that is perhaps three years old?  Maybe I could try that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

AMD1.PNG

AMD2.PNG

0 Likes
1 Solution

This is a DESKTOP and not a LAPTOP correct?

Have you performed the SFC /scannow and DISM commands from the link? do that first and see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't then read further.

If this is a DESKTOP, I would suggest doing a Windows 10 Ingrade Repair on your computer. This will install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on your Desktop without having to reinstall anything. It is the same process when you upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 without deleting everything on the hard drive.

You would need a Windows 10 Installation DVD or USB.

Download Windows Creation Tool and download Windows 10 as an .ISO file. Once you have the .ISO file either burn it to a DVD or install in on a USB drive or on a second Hard drive other than C:\.

You can install Windows 10 .ISO file by using Window 7 USB/DVD Tool. I posted the Tool on this post so that you can either burn a DVD or install it on a USB.

Once you have the DVD or USB or Second Hard drive with the installation program. Go to your Windows desktop and locate the Windows 10 Installation and Click on the setup.exe file. This will start the installation. Make sure you click the box that mentions to save all personal data. Once Windows 10 gets installed anew again.

Check to see if you get anymore BSODs. If not after, I believe, Ten days Windows.Old should be automatically deleted. If not follow the below procedure on how to manually delete it Windows.old file

But don't delete it until you know for sure your Desktop is working normally. If the same problem continues, you can always go back to the former Windows 10 that you had installed but I don't really think that would be necessary.

Right click on the C:\ Drive  at "THIS PC"  and under "Properties" in the "General" Tab click on "Disk Cleanup" than click  "Cleanup System Files" and choose checkmark the box "Previous Windows Installation". This will delete Windows.old folder and clear up several Gigabytes of Hard drive space.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
22 Replies