cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cryzlis
Adept I

atikmdag.sys bluescreen and multiple instances of radeon settings

I always try to keep the drivers up-to-date but the last working version Crimson is 17.11.4. With all versions after that I get a bluescreen because of atikmdag.sys.
So I just kept version 17.11.4. Sadly enough with the fall creators update for win10 multiple instances of radeon settings appear (while only one of them seems to be working).

The problem with multiple instances does not appear with the latest version of crimson but as I already said there is something wrong with the atikmdag.sys.
Is there any solution or workaround?

System: Desktop Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology GA-78LMT-S2P

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Pocessor ~3.0GHz

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7750 GRAM 2GB

Driver Version: 17.11.4

26 Replies
cryzlis
Adept I

Re: atikmdag.sys bluescreen and multiple instances of radeon settings

Wow.. Great support AMD!!!

andrius
Adept I

Reading through some of the latest threads, the users who reported this issue all have HD 7700 series cards. And in one case R7 250X, which is a rebrand of that.

How often do you get the bluescreens? It only happens about once a day to me, rare and appears to be completely random so I can't pinpoint any trigger.

cryzlis
Adept I

Basically, as soon as I update to a version newer than 17.11.4 it can happen at any time, multiple times. It does not matter what I do (play games or watch videos or whatever), so as you said it appears to be random. Nonetheless it seems to be guaranteed that I get a bluescreen.
The same goes for the multiple instances issue with version 17.11.4. Sometimes everything is fine and there is a single instance sometimes there are two.

jaz130m
Adept I

I've got the exact same problem. I've tried everything I can think of to install new drivers after version 17.11.4. and I have to go back to version 17.11.4. to keep the system from crashing. Happens when I'm browsing the web. Thinking the only thing I haven't tried is a reinstall of windows. I've tried not installing ATI settings and only installing the driver. I have tried expanding the atikmdag.sys file from the install folder. Uninstalling in device manager and installing in safe mode after using a driver uninstall app to remove everything ATI and the BSOD just keeps happening. BSOD info points to atikmdag.sys. System is working under 17.11.4 driver. Help!!

System.

Windows 10 x64

AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition 3.4Mhz

ATI R7 250X

8GB RAM

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

F7 BIOS

0 Kudos
ablaublabla
Adept I

i also have this problem for a while now.ati radeon r7 240

jaz130m
Adept I

Hi, got your message. I think I've solved it. Have you ever used a third party driver installing app? I did a while back and I just updated the driver through that and it's now a lot more stable. I did not use clean install and I did not install the Berthsuda installer. I never have to be honest. App I am using is called  SlimDrivers. It's free. I don't think it will let me post a link to their site on here but google it and it will show up. Hope it helps. So far so good for me. No BSOD so far and I've tried doing all the things that made it crash before.

0 Kudos
jaz130m
Adept I

Scrap that, just crashed again. it was working better for a few hours. That's longer than before. Only option left is to reinstall windows. I just hope that solves it because if it doesn't it's a new PC. After all the help I've had from ATI (feck aw) nVidia are looking good.

0 Kudos
mav3rick99
Journeyman III

SAME HERE

System Thread Exception Not Handled
ATIKMDAG.SYS

0 Kudos
huginus
Journeyman III

Same here.

System Thread Exception Not Handled

ATIKMDAG.SYS

I reinstall the old drivers, all was ok.

Yesterday I updating the drivers, andI got the blue screen again.

This suckt....

I think, the drivers have a problem with windows 10.

0 Kudos