Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

computerdooter
Journeyman III

ATI Radeon HD 5450 driver resolution problem

Hey!

I did have this problem before, but I can't find working drivers for my setup, so I'll explain the issue.

Upon trying to update my drivers via Windows' Device Manager max resolution became 1600 x 1200 while monitor has 1920 x 1080. Since something clearly failed, I decided to download official drivers for my system from https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5450 . I tried forcing a Full HD via CCC, but all I got was a stretched image with terrible refresh rate.

And so I downloaded a driver from https://www.dell.com/support/home/pl/pl/plbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=td8hg . Installation failed and installation wizard failed to show logs when asked to.

All I'd like to get is a working driver for the graphic card and I think everything should get back to normal.

My setup:
AMD Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 560s

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Driver version installed: 15.7.1 WHQL

Display Devices: Philips 222EL2SB/00 via VGA to DVI-A

Motherboard + Bios Revision: I'm not computer savvy enough to know what it means. If you tell me how to check it, I'll do it

CPU/APU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage: Delta DPS-250AB-28 J ; Max output: 250W

RAM: 4 x 1 GB 

0 Likes
1 Solution

First I would make sure Win7 is fully updated:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

There are some recent exceptions:

Microsoft to start nagging users in April about the January 2020 Windows 7 end-of-support deadline 

Go to Dell support and install any updates to bios or chipset drivers:

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

Then install the 16.2.1 update:

ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Drivers & Support | AMD 

After installation, check the 'Display' / advanced settings on your computer and choose 60hz. Sometimes new AMD drivers reset this to 59hz.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If it was working before then you went to a driver that isn't then try to roll back the driver to the one that worked. Was there a problem that you were seeking a different driver?

How to Roll Back a Driver in Windows (Windows 10, 8, 7+) 

0 Likes

I know I should've, but after installing the second driver, I could only go back to the first one that didn't really work. Either way it works now

First I would make sure Win7 is fully updated:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

There are some recent exceptions:

Microsoft to start nagging users in April about the January 2020 Windows 7 end-of-support deadline 

Go to Dell support and install any updates to bios or chipset drivers:

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

Then install the 16.2.1 update:

ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Drivers & Support | AMD 

After installation, check the 'Display' / advanced settings on your computer and choose 60hz. Sometimes new AMD drivers reset this to 59hz.