Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

marmyte
Journeyman III

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 win 7 black screen

Hi all, 

This is my first post. I was recently playing ETS 2 and my system crashed out and froze on me. The only thing to do was to to hold done the power button to turn off the system - upon restarting I got a BSOD. I tried system repair and also a system restore - but nothing was available. I started the laptop in safe mode and did a backup, I have re-installed win 7 64bit professional back onto my laptop and installed all the driver from the Acer support site (as before). I am having problems with my display adapters. 

I have a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB card and an intel HD graphics driver.

I cannot get them to work properly together without win 7 booting up into a black screen. At the moment I have disabled the graphics card so that it boots up into 1920 x 1080. I am installing drivers from Acer support page and they don't seem to work anymore. I understand that my laptop is old, but she's good when working properly.

It's an Acer 8943g

Can somebody please try and help me to sort this out.

By the way - is there a utility that i can run and maybe share the results with you to help this get resolved?

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Laptop graphics update...How to 

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

For laptops with Intel/AMD graphics:

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

0 Likes
marmyte
Journeyman III

I have updated all windows files, installed the intel drivers, and tried install the Mobility driver from the Acer website for my laptop (VGA Driver (Mobility Radeon HD 5850). I still get a black screen when i try to install.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes

Is there a utility that can scan for hardware issues like the card being the issue and that i maybe need another one?

0 Likes

0 Likes

After a while (a few minutes): frozen screen (black or with stripes or with scattered colored boxes) at the default resolution 1600 x 900.
At the lower resolution 1280 x 720 no problems.

I think the issue is caused by a fault at the graphic chip level.

Let me know your opinions.

0 Likes