Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kurskievtr
Adept I

Asus TUF A15 FA506QR Windows 11 Crashes

Hi all!

This is related to this topic I created earlier:
Asus TUF A15 FA506QR Screen Blinking Problem when using latest drivers 

So, again, I have system in which there's AMD CPU - Ryzen 7 5800H with integrated graphics.

When I use the latest AMD graphics driver, I get the problem with intemittenly (at random times) blinking screen.

I found solution to use driver given at ASUS official site exactly for my system, which is older, than the latest drivers.
But...
With this older version of driver I got another problem, it is random Windows crashes when I play video in browser, most of the time I watch YouTube, and no crash occurs, but when I open some other sites and play videos at those, randomly Windows crashes, and it crashes so, that the screen just freezes and OS stops responding to anything, until I hard turn it off, and then on again; I mean no blue screen, no any message, any error windows, no whatsoever...
Each time I open Windows Event Viewer after such crash, there's always Error Event about some AMD certificate:

SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for Local system via https://AMD-KeyId-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep failed

Method: GET(16ms)
Stage: GetCACaps
Cannot resolve server name or address 0x80072ee7 (WinHttp: 12007 ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)

Intuitively I feel like the issue is that with the older driver version inside of it uses some non-actual link to check certificate, tries to make request there, gets no response (or wrong response) and in programming terms (I'm a programmer myself) unhandled exception happens, which crashes the system.

After some googling, I read somewhere that this is related to something called ftpm thingie in AMD CPU, and disabling it in BIOS might help, I didn't try that yet, may be someone will suggest a better solution (because I don't think disabling some CPU components is a good solution), so I made this topic.

In addition to that, when I play video for some time using PotPlayer app, I get error window saying "we detected a driver timeout has occurred on your system..." suggesting to Report an issue. System doesn't crash, but error popup appears.

It's like if I get latest drivers - there ya go with screen blinking, and if I install the appropriate drivers, which are older - off ya go with Windows crashing, congrats! Choose your fighter wisely)))

0 Likes
3 Solutions
kurskievtr
Adept I

So, I somewhat dealt with this.
May be my experience will help someone, so I post a reply to my own answer.

In my case, there's no option to disable TPM in bios, there's simply no such category.
After some research, I found this post:
I've tried the option with updating the TPM keys (which are located in Secure Boot settings) in BIOS - didn't help.
And someone wrote there:
"...In TaskManager, Microsoft, Windows, CertificateServicesClient there's a task called AikCertEnrollTask
In the field result of last execution: the same error ( not found 404).
I disabled that task..."
Somewhere else along the way, I've seen same thing about that task - "AikCertEnrollTask", that it is exactly it what starts some operation, which then calls some url, which in it's turn doesn't exist, and exception occurs...
So, I decided if I see it second time still, why not to try.

1 full day passed, and no crash occurs, I guess that solved my problem not only because of that, but I also don't see those errors in Event Viewer since before I disabled that task.

View solution in original post

kurskievtr
Adept I

Recently I found out this post:

https://xtreh.ru/d/98582-tpm-off-uninstall-method-for-asus-laptop-users

The guy wrote there these instructions on how to disable TPM in Asus Laptops:

In some laptops, we cannot find TPM disabling option in BIOS, so in order for you to uninstall or disable it.
1. go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers/(tpm.sys).
2. try to delete it, if cannot then, right click, properties, security,then change ownership, as well as principles, you can refer to methods in youtube.
3.now go to device manager and uninstall it.
4.restart and in the device manager, there should be an option to disable TPM after you right click the TPM security device.
Hope it helps for people who cannot disable TPM in BIOS

I've tried and was able to disable TPM. I don't know yet if it will help with crashes, but I hope so.

Update: As of now (10.12.2023), in addition to manipulations I've done in this answer, with the new AMD drivers installed, the problem gone

I have AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Version

Released 17.10.2023

And I'm gratefull to AMD for solving this finally.

0 Likes
7 Replies
kurskievtr
Adept I

So, I somewhat dealt with this.
May be my experience will help someone, so I post a reply to my own answer.

In my case, there's no option to disable TPM in bios, there's simply no such category.
After some research, I found this post:
I've tried the option with updating the TPM keys (which are located in Secure Boot settings) in BIOS - didn't help.
And someone wrote there:
"...In TaskManager, Microsoft, Windows, CertificateServicesClient there's a task called AikCertEnrollTask
In the field result of last execution: the same error ( not found 404).
I disabled that task..."
Somewhere else along the way, I've seen same thing about that task - "AikCertEnrollTask", that it is exactly it what starts some operation, which then calls some url, which in it's turn doesn't exist, and exception occurs...
So, I decided if I see it second time still, why not to try.

1 full day passed, and no crash occurs, I guess that solved my problem not only because of that, but I also don't see those errors in Event Viewer since before I disabled that task.

How to do it? I am facing the same issue. Please explain the solution properly.

0 Likes

Open Windows Start Menu, search for "task", and open up Windows Task Manager:

kurskievtr_1-1672055890625.png

(my system is in russian, but you'll get the idea, at least icons are the same )

In it, open folder Microsoft, then Windows, then CertificateServicesClient, and you'll see there a task called AikCertEnrollTask:

kurskievtr_2-1672056053993.png

Right click on it, and disable it.

Crashes still does occur, but much rarer.

Yeah, crashes are still happening some times. Thanks.

arny
Adept I

I had the same issue as you. Switching to Windows 10 Pro and disabling TPM fixed this issue for me, I no longer have these error messages in event-viewer, and importantly no more crashes.

TPM is enabled on all ASUS boards, you may just need to look under a different section. Depending on the board it is also called Trusted Computing. Check this thread for an overview of where and how to disable TPM on all boards: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1047459/

Note: Make sure you download and install the latest motherboard drivers from the manufacture first.

kurskievtr
Adept I

Recently I found out this post:

https://xtreh.ru/d/98582-tpm-off-uninstall-method-for-asus-laptop-users

The guy wrote there these instructions on how to disable TPM in Asus Laptops:

In some laptops, we cannot find TPM disabling option in BIOS, so in order for you to uninstall or disable it.
1. go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers/(tpm.sys).
2. try to delete it, if cannot then, right click, properties, security,then change ownership, as well as principles, you can refer to methods in youtube.
3.now go to device manager and uninstall it.
4.restart and in the device manager, there should be an option to disable TPM after you right click the TPM security device.
Hope it helps for people who cannot disable TPM in BIOS

I've tried and was able to disable TPM. I don't know yet if it will help with crashes, but I hope so.

Update: As of now (10.12.2023), in addition to manipulations I've done in this answer, with the new AMD drivers installed, the problem gone

I have AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Version

Released 17.10.2023

And I'm gratefull to AMD for solving this finally.

0 Likes