cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

joffy
Journeyman III

asus strix radeon RX480 8gb lower fps than my intel laptop

Hi guys i just bought a rx 480 and im not happy with it. the fps i get is around 50/80 and my laptop gets above 90 with a tiny intel gpu. ive installed the newest amd software and updated the driver to the latest and it didnt work out. on fortnite the fps we keep dropping and it was just a hell. now ive installed a older driver from 2018 and still the same issue. i upped my power limit (on the 2018 version) to 50 and still no succes. can someone please help me!! thanks iin advance

cpu = AMD A8-9600 radeon r7

ram = 8gb

0 Likes
3 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Compare your system's scores with the user averages that will go to the Userbenchmark site. A program that reduces performance may be running in the background. If you can't find a solution, try a clean Windows installation.

0 Likes
guily6669
Elite

Check temps and clocks, the GPU might be working on low clocks and high temps (that model sadly has maybe the best cooler, but badly designed as it runs very hot sadly), also it's hard to compare with the little info you gave, I mean I can use a even lower powerful GPU than RX480 and have much better FPS by just playing on lower settings and lower resolution...

Are you really talking about same exact resolution and visual settings in the same games from the laptop to the RX480?

Also that CPU (actually APU) is very poor in gaming performance and check if your not using it's actually built-in GPU instead of the RX480 and my advice is also to try windows performance mode on the power settings and OC that CPU the max you can (if you know how to do it safely) and make sure the games are using the RX480 and not the built in Radeon R7 IGPU...

Anyway sadly you will never be able to get the full RX480 performance with that ~60€ CPU with a ~300+€ GPU back when it released...

ps: Also If I were you I'd flash that Asus Strix RX480 to Asus Strix RX580 like I did (Warning: do at your own risk, no one will be responsible if any problem happens and warranty won't cover it).

0 Likes
hardtecnica
Adept II

Check gpu usage, clock speeds and PCI-e speed under load. Use GPU-z to get that info.

0 Likes