cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Guy123
Adept I

ASUS RX580 frame rates are terrible. Need help optimizing drivers.

I turned a dell optiplex 390 to a gaming PC by adding a corsair 750W PSU, ASUS RX580, Samsung SSD and changing the processor to an i7 2600k. It is hooked up to a sanyo TV via DP -> HMDI cable from best buy.

I really only play rocket league and some older single player games. RL runs OK but there are still random frame drops that can be frustrating at times.

I recently purchased Alan Wake on steam and was baffled that I'm only getting 20-35 fps on high settings. This has me thinking that something is not set right in my drivers. I've tried multiple times running DDU (proper way in safe mode and reinstalling drivers) and setting the power limit to 50% in adrenaline (which actually did fix the even worse frame rate I was getting in rocket league before).

Any ideas why this might be? I will add some screen shots from cpuz and the adrenaline SW. 

Guy123_0-1612571694408.png

Guy123_1-1612571736614.png

Guy123_3-1612571895741.png

Guy123_4-1612571939476.png

Any feedback/comments are greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guy123
Adept I

the fix was a combination of removing nvidia drivers from my previous video card and downgrading to the radeon 2019 drivers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Guy123
Adept I

the fix was a combination of removing nvidia drivers from my previous video card and downgrading to the radeon 2019 drivers.

Good to know it was fixed. Alot of people who have 580's and 570s are using Enterprise 21.Q3 drivers for performance boosts, etc. I'm using a RX 570 on my second rig and i can confirm that the enterprise 21.q3 drivers are the best for that card.  

0 Likes

Pardon my lack of knowledge on these drivers but what does 21.Q3 mean? Does that mean the drivers from 2021 3rd quarter?

I always thought the most up to date drivers were best but I am new to PC gaming after not having a rig for 8+ years. So much has changed.

For some reason I get frame drops and the screen tint changes on its own with the 2021 drivers, I just happened to read somewhere that people prefer the 2019 drivers and it happened to make all my games run better.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

0 Likes

Yea i think its 2021 3rd quarter drivers, i believe that's true. 

And yea imo older drivers perform better.  I have the following video cards, WX 4100, RX 570 8GB(OC Phantom edition ), WX 5100, WX Radeon Pro 7100, and 2 Radeon Pro W5500's. I have done alot alot of testing for hours, new drivers, new windows 10 install with selected updates, old drivers. 

With the Radeon Pro W5500, the new drivers work just fine, but they don't perform as fast as the older drivers. Another problem with the w5500, the quality of video degrades using cyberlink and video players and quality in general, the colors are darker and looked washed out, with any driver that is using the "newer control panel/ui", so i use enterprise 20.q3. It only happens with this card. But 20.q3 is sort of buggy, watch dogs 2 relive creates stuttering and freezing , some other games may experience freezing when using relive. But i only found watch dogs 2 has it the most. The game brink fps uses opengl, man its awful 12-25fps. That watch dogs 2 freezing thing happens with all cards using 20.q3 i have though. Besides that, its the best driver for the w5500 only because of the image/video quaity cyberlink, etc is superior looking over the rest. 

Another issue, the W5500 has a similar issue with Xt 5500, they both use 4.0 pcie, while these cards are pcie 3.0 x8 which limits performance. So overall my Radeon Pro WX 7100 is faster in some ways. But i use the w5500 despite some issue because again the video and image quality is better. I think the w5500 is a flawed card, i think the devs needed to make the card with 256bit bus and x16.  looking forward to buying a w6600 though. 

As for the RX 570 i notice a performance boost using 21.q3, any other driver above fps drops big time in games like Mafia 2, mafia definitive edition, and gear tactics, gear 5, etc. Brink gets a nice boost. Not saying the newer drivers enterprise or adrenalin or bad, they are good amazing drivers, but with my setup and cards the most performance comes from 21.q3 or adrenalin 20.8.3 

The WX 7100 (i don't use wx 4100 or wx 5100, only for backup) , its wise to use 21.q3 drivers overall.  So yea newer drivers don't mean best performance or overall best stability. I usually pick about 10 games and test each driver with those games using the same settings/benchmarks and see whats the best fps. Good luck though! 

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

@Guy123you should not be getting frame-rate drops in Rocket League with that system.

How much RAM do you have and how are your RX 580 thermals?

I have 2x 8GB or RAM, FX 8350 and RX 480, and your i7 2600k should fair much better than my CPU. Furthermore, I get 150FPS+ in Rocket League and have never noticed a drop below 75FPS.

I do get bad performance in other games though, because most games scale horribly over available cores, like ARMA 3 and the last time Unreal Engine 3 (DirectX9 versions) games perform well was in 17.7.1, thereafter AMD lost their optimizations for it which causes Unreal Tournament 3 to drop to 29FPS in areas it did 70FPS.

Kind regards

0 Likes