cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

markz84
Journeyman III

ASPM (Active State Power Management) Caused System Freeze Whilst Updating AMD Drivers

1st time in few years whole computer froze while trying to update drivers to 19.5.1 and almost lost hope to whole process and almost decided to re-install whole Windows 10.

Jumping into safe mode, cleaning old drivers with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and each time i did something whole system froze and in normal login mode 20-30sec in and system froze even if you didn't open anything, safe mode longer till you launched some program after 15 sec and froze again (had a few BSOD's also).

I found a solution after 5-6 hours and that was turning off any ASPM (Active State Power Management) setting from BIOS.

Reason was that i had overclocking settings on and for some reason one or two ASPM settings were on while updating to 19.5.1 and it sure didn't like it.

Just wanted to share this with you guys if you have same type of issues just reset overclocking settings back to factory defaults or at least turn off ASPM's (disable). Tested again with one of them on and after 20 sec system froze (hard reset and settings off from BIOS).

1 Reply

WIndows 10 is more sensitive to overclocking compared to 7.

This seems to be due to the compiler in use now which tends to use the instruction set more richly as compared to before.

I also have found that Windows 10 needs looser memory settings too.

0 Likes