cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

arel203
Journeyman III

Artifacting and crashes only after installing latest chipset driver...

Hi guys!
So, specs are...

ASRock X370 Taichi

Ryzen 1800X

XFX Vega 56

All the latest BIOS are running fine, no special overclocking. CPU is running stable at 3.8. Vega 56 is slightly undervolted, no OCing, been stable for months.

PC has been running up until a few days ago it began artifacting and crashing after zero changes. Now, Windows may have updated the drivers without me knowing. I thought I had disabled all of that garbage but I could be wrong, so how this problem began has me worried about placebo. I can't verify either, because when the issues first began, I had no problem with immediately reformatting. This PC is mainly used for gaming so I never keep much software or things on it to worry about.

Once I reformatted, I did the usual, disabled all Windows updates for drivers via group policy and registries. Completely updated Windows before installing chipset drivers and display drivers from AMD website. Never did any overclocking/tuning/undervolting. Start a game, artifacts like crazy, crashes... Yadada, that was on the latest optional display driver.

Move on to DDU, uninstall the display driver, install the old, same thing, only now it's also not even starting AMD software. Catalyst shows up taskbar but gives an error and wont open. Restarting doesn't help, shutdown, bios resets, tried to even reseat the GPU. Nothing.

Ended up reformatting a second time. Did everything the same but installed only the last stable non-optional driver. No issues immediately. I'm thinking great? Was it a fluke? Blah blah blah… Start reinstalling everything; I install the latest chipset drivers, go back into a game. Same crap, crash, artifacts, display driver crashes and wont ever start again... Wtf.

Again uninstall both drivers. Install only the display, and its been seemingly running fine the past 24hrs. Albeit with seemingly slightly less performance, likely because i'm not running all the drivers I need.

I will say, I haven't installed older chipset drivers. Honestly I am just happy to have it running atm.

But, has anyone experienced this? I've been googling around, checking reddit, etc, haven't found a similar issue to mine.

Also as a note, now that it's running the GPU is handling high load stress tests no problems.

0 Likes
2 Replies
tab_
Journeyman III

Hi there!

This is not the reply you're looking for, but just another "Me too".

ASRock X370 Taichi

Ryzen 1700

Radeon Pro WX7100

I have a simillar problem

After updating BIOS to P5.60 version my GPU is not woking as it should. I experinced artifacting in the begining but disappeared after reinstaling windows. Anyways... since then when i am using or rendering Blender it crashes on the simplest stuff that was not a problem before. I also experience less performance of Windows generaly and some freezing (i never experienced sound, video or mouse freezing before) my external usb soundcard is turning off and on few times per day.

I know for sure that i can't go back to a preview BIOS version. So i hope someone has an ideea why is this happening.

All the best!

0 Likes

Ive got similar issues. My installation started showing all kinds of weird behaviour after updating to the newest chipset driver about 2 weeks back. For example it couldnt shut down anymore, when doing so it would hang on a black screen for quite some time before suddenly restarting. A restart from windows didnt show any problems though. The windows installation would also show boot problems and some games would become somewhat unstable. Some devices like a valve Index headset wouldnt be fully recognised anymore.

A reinstall of windows without any drivers installed didnt show these same issues although a couple of devices remained uninstalled in device manager. As soon as a would install the latest chipset drivers on such a new and clean windows installation the problems would return. Not sure what to try next.

Asrock x370 Taichi P6.20

R5 3600

memory @ 2933mhz clocked back from the 3700 that this B-die set is rated at -_-

chipset driver version: 2.10.13.408

Windows Versions: 1909 showed issues just like 2004 and 20h2

0 Likes