Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

NP
Journeyman III

Apu or gpu drivers

Hello,

I recently changed my laptop's hard drive and did a clean installation of windows, as a result I'm now looking for drivers but I'm a little confused regarding AMD apu's.

I have a Lenovo g505s (Windows 10 64bit) with:

APU (A8-5550M with Radeon™ HD 8550G)

GPU (AMD Radeon™ HD 8570M)

The thing is I don't know what software I need. The apu from what I understood is a cpu/gpu mix?

The latest software is Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 WHQL or Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta (windows automatically installed catalyst) for the apu, as for the gpu  Adrenalin 21.4.1 (WHQL).

0 Likes
1 Solution

You are forced to install the old AMD drivers for your APU which will install both the Integrated and Discrete GPUs in your laptop.

Your APU Integrated Graphics is not supported with AMD Driver updates anymore and is considered to be legacy.

But your Discrete GPU is still supported with the latest AMD Driver. BUT the latest AMD Driver isn't compatible with your Non-Supported APU Integrated Graphics.

So you are forced to use the 2015/2016 AMD Drivers to make your laptop work correctly.

Users have found a work around to installing both Legacy and Latest AMD Drivers in the same laptop but you will need to search for it on AMD Forum's Search feature or google it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You are forced to install the old AMD drivers for your APU which will install both the Integrated and Discrete GPUs in your laptop.

Your APU Integrated Graphics is not supported with AMD Driver updates anymore and is considered to be legacy.

But your Discrete GPU is still supported with the latest AMD Driver. BUT the latest AMD Driver isn't compatible with your Non-Supported APU Integrated Graphics.

So you are forced to use the 2015/2016 AMD Drivers to make your laptop work correctly.

Users have found a work around to installing both Legacy and Latest AMD Drivers in the same laptop but you will need to search for it on AMD Forum's Search feature or google it.

NP
Journeyman III

Thank you

Would you recommend catalyst or crimson beta?

0 Likes

The best suggestion I can give you is use Lenovo's own AMD VGA Driver which is 100% compatible and has the same year as the AMD WHQL Driver: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g505...

Screenshot 2021-04-21 073647.png