cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fancyabrew
Adept I

Re: Applying AMD drivers cause black-screen, corrupt Windows boot record

i'm having the same issue exactly the same!  Been running with the 19.4.1 drivers for a few weeks without any issues, until a couple of days ago.  Anyway I've just ordered a new MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 card so I'll see how that goes, don't really want to have to reinstall windows so I'm hoping it'll be fine, if not it might go back and I'll get an nvidia based card which is a shame as I've been AMD\ATI for ever 

0 Likes

elstaci,

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  I have, in fact, run Dell h/w diagnostics, including 45-minute stress-test against the graphics card and all came back negative.  I also tried Dell drivers, updated BIOS and chipset.  And I've been successfully running Windows 10 for quite some time now on the PC.  It's all good though...this has been a good card over the years, but now I've thrown in the towel and a new card is on the way, will arrive tomorrow.

fancyabrew,

Yes, I was more than a little surprised and frustrated that AMD can't provide drivers that are more informative at the very least; and/or provide a solid diagnostics tool to get to root-cause.  New card has has been ordered, will arrive tomorrow - not AMD (but I'm not trashing AMD, as this card has served me well over the years).

0 Likes

Thanks to all for your time and helpful suggestions.

Alas, I have thrown in the towel and a new card will arrive tomorrow (not AMD - and I'm not trashing AMD, as it has served me well over the years; but thought I'd try something different).  It's all good though, it gave me the excuse to spend money - which has its own perverse thrill associated with it.

fancyabrew
Adept I

I'm hoping the vega56 card will be fine and it's not a software issue with the drivers if it is it'll have to go back and I'll get an nvidia. What card have you gone for? I didn't really want to spend the cash but I've had the card for probably around 4 years so it'll be nice to have something new and I'm working from home tomorrow so ii hope it turns up early in the day! 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

get back here when you get your Vega 56  and hopefully the new GCN 5 architecture works better

0 Likes
fancyabrew
Adept I

Grrrrrrrr couldn't make this up just had notification from the courier company that their van has broken down! So looks like no new card for me today!

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

fancyabrew wrote:

Grrrrrrrr couldn't make this up just had notification from the courier company that their van has broken down! So looks like no new card for me today!

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Murphy is an optimist.

0 Likes
indub
Adept II

I've been having the same problem since Adrenaline 18.12.2 was released.  The most recent AMD driver package I can install is Adrenaline 18.12.1.1.  I've tried all of the "fixes" as well like installing with DDU in safe mode, etc etc.  I end up just booting into safe mode, open device manager and uninstall the AMD driver, then restart and reinstall 18.12.1.1.  Frustrating to not be able to update to the most current driver though.  Curious if you've tried reinstalling 18.12.1.1?  Here's the link on Guru3D: 18.12.1.1 driver download page

My System Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390X

Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.12.1.1 Driver Version 18.40.11.10 (Windows Driver Store Version 25.20.14011.10001)

Computer: Desktop, HP Phoenix Envy 860-170VR

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) 

BIOS: A0.59 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

0 Likes
mrsandv1ch
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issues, but with a R9 270. Tried all suggestions, but none worked. Hopefully we can get a solution!

Makes me hate the "newer software is just better" fallacy even more after this, makes me wanna uninstall Windows 10 and return to 7...

0 Likes