cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Applying AMD drivers cause black-screen, corrupt Windows boot record

Problem: Applying any number of AMD Radeon drivers (Adrenaline 19.4.1, 19.4.2, 19.4.3) appear to corrupt and crash Windows 10, causing black-screen and PC to become unresponsive (apparent boot record corruption).

How to reliably reproduce the problem (NOTE: I worked with Microsoft Support/Tier 2 to figure out root-cause/how to reproduce - they said (without hesitation) I had to come to AMD for a solution:

- Use Windows 10 1803 (OS Build 17134.1) ISO image on USB to format C drive (boot drive, 256 GB SSD) and then load Windows 10 to it.
- Microsoft Support/Tier 2 verified I now had a clean corrupt-free load of Windows 10 1803.
- Display Adapter is set to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter."
- Now boot to Normal Mode, Connect to internet, NO issues, you can browse the internet and execute apps WITHOUT issues. NO black screens.
- Now disconnect from internet, load latest AMD Radeon drivers from a USB (drivers acquired from "Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.1, 19.4.2, 19.4.3").
- Now use Device Manager, expand "Display adapters"), highlight "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", right-click, choose "Update driver", choose "Search Local PC only"
(i.e., pull only from locally loaded AMD drivers). Drivers start to load and then computer goes to BLACK screen and unresponsive.
- A subsequent reboot yields a Windows logo, and then black-screen. Going into Advanced Options shows that boot record has been corrupted.
- Boot back to safe-mode, downgrade display adapter driver to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", boot to Normal Mode and even connect to internet, everything is fine again, NO issues, NO black screen.
- I am also unable to upgrade up to Windows 1809. Same black-screen, Microsoft Support/Tier 2 believes that it is issue with AMD drivers rolled up into their KB updates.

Machine H/W and S/W Configuration:

Dell Dimension XPS 8500

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz; Processor ID: 306A9
Processor Core Count: 4
Processor L1 Cache: 256 Kb
Processor L2 Cache: 1024 Kb
Processor L3 Cache: 8192 Kb

Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (7870); specifically, Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
from: https://devicehunt.com/search/type/pci/vendor/any/device/6818
type: PCI
device id: 6818
PCI 1002 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] 6818 Pitcairn XT [Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition]
from examining the physical graphics card:
- manufacturer appears to be: ATI Technologies ULC.
- P/N: 7120700000G(226A1XX)

SATA Information:

SATA0/Port0: ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2000.3GB)

MSATA1/Port1: SAMSUNG SSD PM830 mSATA 25 (256.0 GB)

From "diskpart" command:
Disk 1, Volume 3 (drive letter C, SSD drive) is the boot drive.
Disk 0, Volume 1 (drive letter D, 2 Tb SATA drive).

From Aptio Setup Utility:
BIOS Revision: A09
BIOS Build Date: 09/05/2012
Secure Boot: Disabled (I've also tried it set to "Enabled")
Boot Mode: UEFI (I've also tried it set to "Legacy")

Key error messages from bottom of AMD "installer.log":

PMJobExecuter::executer ======= Starting installation of: AMD Display Driver =======

WrapDIFx::[26-04-2019 04:40:46] Turn ON DGPU fail
PMJobExecuter::executer::[26-04-2019 04:40:46] Install Sub-Packages first for AMD Display Driver

PackageManager::[26-04-2019 04:40:46] ExeInstaller::executeProc initiating installation of C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.4.3-Apr22\Packages\Apps\VulkanRT64\VulkanRT\VulkanRT.exe.
PackageManager::[26-04-2019 04:40:47] ExeInstaller::executeProc exit code of process returned 0.
PMJobExecuter::executer::[26-04-2019 04:40:47] : Subpakcage installed: VulkanRT

[ERROR] - ERROR_DRIVER_PACKAGE_NOT_IN_STORE::[0000005A288F8300] There does not exist an INF file in the driver store that corresponds to the INF file specified by DriverPackageInfPath.
UnCompressRSInstallExe::[26-04-2019 04:40:47] Executing ccc2_install.exe
UnCompressRSInstallExe::[26-04-2019 04:40:47] C:\AMD\WIN10-~1.3-A\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B341390\ccc2_install.exe /NCRC /S -EXTRACTONLY=YES /D=C:\Users\Dad\AppData\Local\Temp\AMDRSInstaller
UnCompressRSInstallExe::[26-04-2019 04:40:48] Create process success
UnCompressRSInstallExe::[26-04-2019 04:41:01] ccc2_install.exe process completed
WrapDIFx::[26-04-2019 04:41:11] DiInstallDriver is Successful
WrapDIFx::[26-04-2019 04:41:11] AdapterPowerChangeRequestinPX call is failed
PMJobExecuter::executer======= AMD Display Driver installed successfully!!! =======

32 Replies

The problem is Windows, specifically Windows update. This has been an ongoing issue for over a year now. Windows update interferes with the driver installing properly. There are many, many threads about this here in these forums.

If you want to get a successful install. Do the following:

Download the AMD driver you want to load.

Download DDU form wagnardsoft_com. It includes instructions, read and follow them.

Disable hibernation/fast startup in Windows 10.

Run DDU from Safe Mode, while disconnected from the internet.

Re-Install the driver with internet disconnected. This keeps Windows update from interfering.

See if that doesn't get you going.

Thank you for your reply Pokester.

I have, in fact, tried all your recommended steps with no luck; however, I had not considered/tried disabling hibernation/fast startup.  I'll give that a try.

0 Likes

Fast startup is known to cache old driver information that conflicts when loading the new driver the first time rebooting after install.

---------

If that doesn't help, then try the card in another machine. If it also doesn't work there then you may just have a card that went bad. If it does work, you may have a Windows installation gone bad.

0 Likes

Pokester,

Thanks for trying to help out, but unfortunately nothing has worked out.  I don't have access to another machine, so I'm just going to have to call it as a card gone bad (although it is a bit of a shame that the AMD drivers can't provide a little bit more info/rollback gracefully instead of just black-screening and also that AMD doesn't provide a h/w level diagnostic tool).  Ordering a new card today.

0 Likes

Installing through device manager ?, why not do a regular install (or custom clean install)  from the downloaded driver pkg.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Goodplay,

Sorry my original problem description/steps-to-reproduce didn't include all the subsequent trial-and-error that I have done.  Yes, I did in fact try express and also custom install from the downloaded driver pkg (first running DDU, etc.).  Just going to chalk this up as a card gone bad.  Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

If you believe you HD7870 may be defective AND is not under Warranty, Try flashing the GPU's vBIOS again in case it has become corrupted.

You can get the HD7870 vBIOS from this Website: VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp . Just need to know who the manufacturer is.

But before you take such a drastic measure go to DELL Diagnostic page for your computer and run its diagnostic tests to see if it shows any hardware failing or is defective from here: Support for XPS 8500 | Diagnostics | Dell US .

EDIT: For your Dell computer there are no Windows 10 drivers. Only for Windows 7 & 8/8.1.

Try updating your BIOS to the latest version from 2018 and Dell does have a HD7870 AMD Driver but for Windows 8.1. but it several years old from here: Support for XPS 8500 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US .

I would contact Dell Support and make sure your computer is fully compatible with Windows 10 since DELL Support shows no Windows 10 drivers.

elstaci,

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  I have, in fact, run Dell h/w diagnostics, including 45-minute stress-test against the graphics card and all came back negative.  I also tried Dell drivers, updated BIOS and chipset.  And I've been successfully running Windows 10 for quite some time now on the PC.  It's all good though...this has been a good card over the years, but now I've thrown in the towel and a new card is on the way, will arrive tomorrow.

transfattyacidtrip wrote:

Goodplay,

Sorry my original problem description/steps-to-reproduce didn't include all the subsequent trial-and-error that I have done.  Yes, I did in fact try express and also custom install from the downloaded driver pkg (first running DDU, etc.).  Just going to chalk this up as a card gone bad.  Thanks for your help.

Before you bury the card in the graveyard, try it on another machine and see if it works better

there is abundant evidence that some machines do not do well with some models of radeon cards for some reason, its rare but extant

0 Likes

i'm having the same issue exactly the same!  Been running with the 19.4.1 drivers for a few weeks without any issues, until a couple of days ago.  Anyway I've just ordered a new MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 card so I'll see how that goes, don't really want to have to reinstall windows so I'm hoping it'll be fine, if not it might go back and I'll get an nvidia based card which is a shame as I've been AMD\ATI for ever 

0 Likes

get back here when you get your Vega 56  and hopefully the new GCN 5 architecture works better

0 Likes

Grrrrrrrr couldn't make this up just had notification from the courier company that their van has broken down! So looks like no new card for me today!

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Likes

fancyabrew wrote:

Grrrrrrrr couldn't make this up just had notification from the courier company that their van has broken down! So looks like no new card for me today!

Murphy is an optimist.

0 Likes
fancyabrew
Adept I

VERY interesting I have the EXACT same issue with an HD7800, I was playing battlefield 5 and the PC crashed with a corrupt blue'ish screen.  When I rebooted I just had a black screen, so (before I found this thread) went to safe mode and picked the basic MS driver and that works, but if I try and AMD drivers I just get a black screen.  Not sure whether to get another AMD card or not as I don't really know if its HD or software so a new AMD card might do the same!

0 Likes

fancyabrew,

Yes, I was more than a little surprised and frustrated that AMD can't provide drivers that are more informative at the very least; and/or provide a solid diagnostics tool to get to root-cause.  New card has has been ordered, will arrive tomorrow - not AMD (but I'm not trashing AMD, as this card has served me well over the years).

0 Likes

Thanks to all for your time and helpful suggestions.

Alas, I have thrown in the towel and a new card will arrive tomorrow (not AMD - and I'm not trashing AMD, as it has served me well over the years; but thought I'd try something different).  It's all good though, it gave me the excuse to spend money - which has its own perverse thrill associated with it.

I'm hoping the vega56 card will be fine and it's not a software issue with the drivers if it is it'll have to go back and I'll get an nvidia. What card have you gone for? I didn't really want to spend the cash but I've had the card for probably around 4 years so it'll be nice to have something new and I'm working from home tomorrow so ii hope it turns up early in the day! 

0 Likes

Sorry fancyabrew, just realized that you had asked me a question.  So I went with an MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, since research online seemed to suggest that this card was working well for folks like myself running an older Dell Dimension XPS 8500.  I installed it and got it up and running this morning, and so far so good.  If that changes, I'll let you know (and I'm sure a new AMD card would have worked out too...but...I just went with something different).  Good luck to you!

0 Likes
indub
Adept II

I've been having the same problem since Adrenaline 18.12.2 was released.  The most recent AMD driver package I can install is Adrenaline 18.12.1.1.  I've tried all of the "fixes" as well like installing with DDU in safe mode, etc etc.  I end up just booting into safe mode, open device manager and uninstall the AMD driver, then restart and reinstall 18.12.1.1.  Frustrating to not be able to update to the most current driver though.  Curious if you've tried reinstalling 18.12.1.1?  Here's the link on Guru3D: 18.12.1.1 driver download page

My System Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390X

Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.12.1.1 Driver Version 18.40.11.10 (Windows Driver Store Version 25.20.14011.10001)

Computer: Desktop, HP Phoenix Envy 860-170VR

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) 

BIOS: A0.59 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

0 Likes

Nope not tried 18.12.1.1 didn't go that far back but I will do! Be interesting if the new card has the same issue be a bit annoyed if it does, don't really need a new card although it will be nice to have, if it arrives that is!

0 Likes

FYI, here's a link to another thread I'm writing on with more detail of everything I've tried doing so you don't waste your time. https://community.amd.com/thread/239205

0 Likes

My newest post on that thread is still under review by moderators.  AMD added a lot of features in 18.12.2 that weren't there before, I think at least my particular issue is something to do with those features.

0 Likes

Do you have the latest Win10 update? The current AMD drivers are compiled for and require it.

0 Likes

I'll check later today if there's any new windows update but as of last night was on the newest version.  Different versions of win 10 have made no difference.  My computer info (including OS build) above I copied and pasted from a post I had 4 months ago.  This has been going on for 4+ months.

0 Likes

Im running the latest win10 build. New card has arrived so I'll try I tonight or tomorrowt

0 Likes
mrsandv1ch
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issues, but with a R9 270. Tried all suggestions, but none worked. Hopefully we can get a solution!

Makes me hate the "newer software is just better" fallacy even more after this, makes me wanna uninstall Windows 10 and return to 7...

0 Likes
fancyabrew
Adept I

OK just tried 18.12.1.1 had the same black screen. New card has arrived but it has display port and hdmi and my monitor only has displayport dvi and vga and I only have a dp to mini do cable grrrrrrrrrr so I'll have to wait to get a dp cable tomorrow. Typically if it was delivered like it should have been yesterday I could have got a dp cable from work. Grrrrrrrrrre

0 Likes

Double check the stuff that came with your monitor. Since you were not using it at the time you may have gotten a display port cable and just dismissed it. Every display port monitor I have bought so far came with one. Not saying they all do though.

0 Likes

Got the monitor from work so just haven't got one at home

0 Likes
fancyabrew
Adept I

right installed the MSI VEGA56 and all is now good with the World again

fancyabrew wrote:

right installed the MSI VEGA56 and all is now good with the World again

good to hear

0 Likes
mechgineer
Journeyman III

You might want to take a look at the menyus420’s post in this thread.

I had the same issues with my Radeon HD8870M on an old Dell Inspiron 5737. The method of removing everything and installing the Chipset → Intel HD Graphics Driver → Radeon Adrenalin Software seemed to work.

Though, I installed the Chipset and Intel HD Graphics drivers recommended by Dell. 

0 Likes