cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lechip
Journeyman III

Re: Apex Legends Is Crashing To The Desktop

I was able to get a whole 5 hours of Apex yesterday with no crashes yesterday with a variation of this solution.
In specific:

• Disable AMD FreeSync for the game using an application profile. All other Application Profile settings in ReLive are "leave to the application" or disabled.
  • Disabled all overlays, including Origin which to me seems to be the main culprit of many crashes... Origin seriously sucks).
  • Discord is open but NO overlay.
  • Launch options: +fps_max 75
  • For Video Settings:
    • Full-screen mode, native resolution (1440p)
    • Set all settings to low, no VSYNC, no FPS target, simply put all settings to the lowest possible.
    • On every successful game I played, I dialed the video settings to highest starting from bottom to top. So far I've only re-enabled up to the "Sun Shadow Coverage" to the max, will probably leave V-Sync, Adaptive Resolution FPS, Anti-Aliasing, and Texture Streaming Budget to the lowest unless I feel the game is stable enough to change those.

Running a Gigabyte Vega 56 on ReLive 19.3.2.

Will post again if there's a crash.

0 Likes
mozartsghost
Journeyman III

The game is pretty buggy right now as everybody knows, but AMD users do seem to be suffering quite a bit. Like I said mine was crashing randomly every couple games with an R9 290, and the only fix was to use the fps_max property for the game, and set it to 70. Not crashed since over a week of play. 

Before that it was random freeze / crash / closes every couple games, sometimes every game for 2-3 games.

0 Likes
mozartsghost
Journeyman III

For me the FPS_MAX was the fix. I have everything else on, the Freesync, max field of view, graphics are all low (my preference), texture streaming is 4GB. I'm currently at 70FPS so I might try 75 if that's working for you.

0 Likes
neotax
Adept I

Alone if you have problems with 3 different cards you should look for the problem with your remaining components Ram/Mainboard/HDD/ Software whatever. Because the purchase of a Nvidia card won't help the game on the 1000 series crashes even worse than on Amd cards. I have a R9 Fury in my system and have no problems at all, just like a friend has a Vega64 that has no problems, another has a Gtx 1070 that crashes every 2nd round by chance that has already tested 5 different drivers and it doesn't help. The crashes are due to the game with certain configs etc. You can only wait for an update from Respawn or just play something else.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please can you try the following solution for the crash and Bad Module errror as shown in Event Viewer?

A solution to the problem was to change the "r5apex" launcher in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex" to "Disable fullscreen optimisations" i found that this setting against either the origin launcher or the easyanticheat launcher did not yield any results.

To do this,

-Navigate to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex folder, (Or wherever you may have installed the game).

-Locate the "r5apex" application exe.

-Right click on the aforementioned file and go to "Properties".

-Click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top.

-Towards the bottom of the form set "Disable Fullscreen Optimisations" to TRUE, (With a tick).

This may launch your game in a windowed format, you can change this once you've launched."

youmustdie788
Adept I

I believe I might have just found a fix; I used an autoexec from this guy on YouTube called "Floxay", which basically does everything to make the game run smoother.

I have been playing for two days on a 144 FPS cap without crashes as opposed to a few crashes a day with a 100 FPS limit, it has to be said that Performance has generally increased a lot after applying this script (~120FPS average to an easy 144+ avg on RX580 8G, so in my case the game could maybe still crash from getting 100% usage over an extended amount of time, just have to test more if I have time to waste)

link to the YouTube vid

link to the Autoexec config

To apply this simply create a file named "autoexec.cfg" in your cfg folder (for me it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex\cfg\") and paste everything from the pastebin.

All credits for the Script obviously go to floxay on YouTube or whoever created it in the first place.

Please update if this helped anyone, I would like to know.

nolly
Adept I

Well, I tried the patch with anticipation. One game played fine, 2nd game --- BOOM. Badmodule to desktop. GAH!

pokester
MVP

I will admit my son and I both had issues with AL with our 1060 and 2060 with earlier drivers. I don't have any issue with them with the latest driver. They seem to have that fixed. I also oddly enough have had no issue running AL with my RX 580 either but do get crashes on my R9 380x.

0 Likes
nolly
Adept I

This is great man. Works a treat. What does it do to the sound exactly?

youmustdie788
Adept I

Not quite sure, it might be changing the sound distance or something as it seems.

Try commenting the sound fixes out and see what changes.

Also for anyone: I have yet to figure out which of the settings in the config actually have an impact on crashing, but there are a lot of things in there that might give you an unfair advantage over other players.

The game still has many things like debug commands to fix (e.g. +twitch_prime_linked 1, or the ea access command for the launch options).

So although it is unlikely that respawn will start banning people for stuff like this, since so many people (including big streamers) are using some of the advantages given in the autoexec, I still want to point out that you are doing this at your own risk