cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yany
Adept I

Re: Apex Legends Is Crashing To The Desktop

Intel i5 2500K + 16 GB DDR3 + Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ & Adrenaline v19.2.2

On average 5-15 mins of gameplay, then a second of freeze and crash to desktop. Sometimes it happens even in the menu.

Also I noticed that despite having a freesync monitor with capped fps at 74, the menu and intermediate screens show several hundred fps value. In the game it works at 74. I capped the frames both in the driver and with console parameter "+fps_max 74".

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

The phenom issue is because they didn't code an SSE instruction as is needed for the the Phenom II's and older. Even some older Intel cpus need this. Wile not optimal many Phenom II's and Core 2 Qauds are still capable gamers with the right card. Apex's engine is the same as titanfall 2 just advance a bit more and it worked just fine with those processors. EA should fix it. Will they is another question. I think its stupid to cut out what is probably still a good amount of e sports targeted gamers.

0 Likes
thedodo
Journeyman III

I got constant crashes while playing, the crashes are totally random, it can crash one time in hour or in first 5 minutes, when i use fps unlimited it crashes each 10min, its only playable for an hour with fps_max 80, seems like a driver issue with amd cards.

It crashes by freezing for 3secs and then just drops you out to the desktop without any warning or messages!

My Setup

RX580 4GB (19.2.3 drivers)

i3-7100

16GB DDR4 2400

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Settings: I have tried all of the ingame settings even the launch options etc, even it crashes when everything is on LOW.

0 Likes
then4p
Adept I

I also experience rare crashes to desktop. Sometimes I can play a couple matches sometimes it crashes in two matches in a row. The crash itself is the game freezing for a couple seconds and then it just closes completely.

CPU: Xeon 1231

RAM: DDR3 2133 MHz

GPU: Sapphire Vega 56 reference / MSI Air Boost 64 (tried both)

SSD: Crucial MX 500

Driver: 19.1.1 I didnt try another one since most people repost crashes with every available driver.

Windows 10 Professional 1809

I am not totally convinced this really is an AMD issue as some of my friends on Windows 7 or 10 with Nvidia GPUs experience the same. Still a good idea to look into it.

0 Likes
frenziedmuffin
Adept I

I've been testing this game a lot since I'm not having crashes. I've replicated 2 things that will potentially crash the game and a couple solutions that seem to help.

Using Relive is unstable at least in Apex. I ran a test where I streamed to Facebook via Relive's broadcast. It worked great until about 20 minutes into a match then my screens blacked out (assuming video driver failure) then recovered and the game crashed with a DirectX error. I performed the same procedure in DMC5 and it worked without an issue.
Solution: Disable Relive completely.

Unlocking FPS. I only have a 60hz monitor so I was limiting Apex to 60fps. Since some folks here aren't I disabled it and my FPS hovers around 140-180 in game. Infrequently the game will stutter and not be smooth even though my FPS denotes everything is good.
Solution: Limit your FPS. I limited to 120 and I seem fine. Same for 60.
Solution 2: I noticed that the Radeon VII runs a little aggressive on mV at stock. Temps are also higher then I feel they should be. So I undervolted my card about 100mV with wattman and I seem much more stable at lower temps with unlocked FPS. My temps average around 65C. The Radeon VII seems to throttle itself at 79C which it was somehow hitting on stock. I think this throttling could explain the jerkiness I was seeing in game.

graeyz0ne
Journeyman III

I guess this is only adding to the list, but i'm using a R9 270 graphics card together with a AMD FX 6300 for a CPU and 16GB of RAM. The issue are these random crases to desktop w/o message log that just can't seem to be fixed.

i've tried changing the settings to medium and even low (in case) as well as setting the game to fullscreen and tweaking some other settings to check for differences.

Other thing i've heard about is disabling cores 5-6 through the BIOS interface and changing the Windows 10 shared memory limits to match my setup since some games use disk memory together with RAM to optimize gameplay and rendering (it is known that win10 limits a lot of settings by default), but at the end of the day these CTD still happened  at random points. The last two days i've been crashing in the first two minutes of the match and when there is heavy activity on screen (sometimes) like quick turning or in a crossfire with your team.

It's really game breaking

thedodo
Journeyman III

Well guys, it seems like it's a huge issue of AMD cards, few days ago i bought nVidia 1080 Ti, i was tired of crashing, so i switched, now i havent crashed once, everything is smooth, nvidia recently updated their drivers, fixed all of the apex crashes etc, amd havent done anything, the issue is more AMD card related now, haven't heard any complains of nvidia users since driver upgrade, none of the recomended game settings above will help until AMD will fix their drivers.

zlobor
Journeyman III

so.. here is what helped me.. i updated my card to 19.3.1
lowered all settings on low.. anti aliasing 2x.. set fps to 60.. and just turned on the game and no crashes to desktop for 2 hours.. hope that fixed it.. 
gpu: RX 560

oceanmv
Journeyman III

Just adding to the list of people with problems:

Setup:

CPU: i5-2400

GPU: RX 570 4 GB 

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

Driver: 19.2.3

I attempted to reinstall drivers and the sort, and none of it worked. There is the option to use an optional driver, but I haven't tried that yet.

0 Likes
lechip
Journeyman III

The launch options and killing all overlays seem to be doing it for me at the moment. Will post again if I see any other crashes.

0 Likes