Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rabidbeta
Adept I

Apex Legends Is Crashing To The Desktop

Hiya all!

The reason I'm here, is that word round the campfire is the driver 19.2.1 for my R9 280x is suppose to optimize APEX LEGENDS, the new incredible BR everyone is doting on. Apparently, if you search for AMD drivers that work with Apex Legends, AMD released the 19.2.1 for the very purpose of optimization between card and game. 

And to be clear, the game runs great on my potato rig...that's a non-issue...

The issue is that 1 out of 5 matches crashes. Always mid-game at random times. And it's harshing my vibe. This happened with 19.2.1 and the previous version (whatever that was). 

19.2.2 is an optional driver as of now...should I try that? EDIT: I tried this .2.2 and it crashes also.

My specs:

Win 10 64bit

ASrock MB

i5 3570

AMD Radeon R9 280x (driver 19.2.1)

16gb DDR3

Please help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope. This game is the best BR to date...why is it the only one that crashes?

Thank you in advance. 

85 Replies

The launch options and killing all overlays seem to be doing it for me at the moment. Will post again if I see any other crashes.

0 Likes
rabidbeta
Adept I

I have finally (almost completely) fixed my crashes...and here is how...

* I begin by restarting my computer.

* I have all latest drivers installed.

* I installed the game on my OS SSD (only game on there)

* I run the game on ALL low settings (1080)

* I put in the command line launch options: +fps_max 60 -refresh 75  (I have a 60hz monitor)

* I close down all programs in task manager I know I don't need to run (you should know, don't go crazy closing stuff)

* I NEVER tab out of the game (I'm on one monitor)

Doing all this allows me to play relatively crash free. And if I crash, I restart computer, close all programs not needed again, and cross fingers. I typically only get 1 crash an hour now...before it was 1 out of 4 games.

My rig:

Win 10

AsRock MB

i5 3570

AMD Radeon R9 280x (with newest optional driver)

16 gb DDR3

Thanks all!

neallord
Adept I

Potatomasher reporting in with the same problem of Apex Legends crashing randomly mid-game.

Using Crimson 19.1.1 WHQL <--

Specs:

i5-3550 

Asus P8H67-M PRO

Club3D AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB Royalking

2x4GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Game is installed on 7,2K RPM harddrive

0 Likes

You should try the latest driver see if that helps. If not report it to AMD (reporting here is only telling other users, who can do nothing):  Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

Tried the latest 19.2.3 as well to no avail. Game still crashes. Maybe older drivers will work, but for now i'll just wait for a patch from the Apex Legends developers. I don't really think this is an AMD issue since every other game runs fine.

I checked the EA Apex Legends forums and the technical issues board show a lot of people having the same problems. Even people with Nvidia hardware, though less common. It seems people using AMD Phenom CPU's are having the most problems, weird because AMD bulldozer has a lot of similarities architecture-wise. They did state that these CPU's are not supported, but people using FX-6300 cpu's are also complaining. Game is a mess atm, the developers will need some time to fix the issues. I'm astonished by the entitled behaviour of people demanding a fix when it's a free to play game. Sigh...

The phenom issue is because they didn't code an SSE instruction as is needed for the the Phenom II's and older. Even some older Intel cpus need this. Wile not optimal many Phenom II's and Core 2 Qauds are still capable gamers with the right card. Apex's engine is the same as titanfall 2 just advance a bit more and it worked just fine with those processors. EA should fix it. Will they is another question. I think its stupid to cut out what is probably still a good amount of e sports targeted gamers.

0 Likes
grillmastercz1
Journeyman III

Hello i have same problem , one for cca 2-4 game crash to the deskop . I´m really sad because i dont know what i can do.  I test many tips for fix :   fps_max 60

Enable origins in game 

Reinstal origin

Reinstal Apex

Reinstal Drivers on graphics and got new patch 19.3.1

Lower details in game on low

Dont make alt-tab if i play 

Exit all programs what i dont need

But still not work good.

Please can you tell me what is still bad , what i can do better ? 

Are you working on fix this bug ? And how look it ? 

I read many post and don´t find normal answer.

Thank you for answer and for your work.  

MY graphic card is Radeon RX 580 nitro series.

0 Likes
mariojunioorr
Journeyman III

The game Apex closes out here, at the jump of the ship, or anywhere on the map, randomly. You can not point to a specific place or situation for crashes, it happens out of nowhere in any situation, sometimes in the beginning of the game, sometimes in the middle or the end.

I've done all the tests possible. I put all the settings at least, I changed resolutions. The game continues to close on its own, without warning.

I have already formatted Windows and the crash continues, I already installed on SSD (OS) or HDD (OS) still the crash persists.

I have already put easy anticheat in low priority, without positive result.

I have already added multiple lines in the advanced startup options and the error continues to be frequent.

One thing I noticed is that Crash is occurring much more often on AMD graphics cards.

SETUP:  RX580 SAPPHIRE ESPECIAL EDITION 8GB

I5 7600K

8GB RAM

SSD 240 (SO)

HD 1TB

MB: GIGABYTE GA H270 GAMING 3

WIN 10 PRO 64BITS

0 Likes

For what it's worth I just installed a Radeon VII in my system and I played Apex last night for about 5 hours straight crash free. I had a 1070 before so I fully removed all my old drivers with DDU and installed the newest display driver. I ran Apex in full screen and windowed mode with frequent minimizing. No game crashes. Only issue I had was relive's instant replay wasn't attaching to the game but that's minor.

Ryzen 1700 OCd to 3.9GHz

16GB RAM 3200

M.2 SSD 1tb

Radeon VII @ stock using newest driver from yesterday.

1440p monitor

Also for what's it's worth my friends on Nvidia cards were experiencing frequent crashing while I was not either (when I was using a 1070.)

I found this page with a lot of explanation of issues and possible ways to help with crashing in Apex so see if anything here might help:

Apex Legends: How to fix freezing and crashing | Dot Esports 

0 Likes
yany
Adept I

Intel i5 2500K + 16 GB DDR3 + Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ & Adrenaline v19.2.2

On average 5-15 mins of gameplay, then a second of freeze and crash to desktop. Sometimes it happens even in the menu.

Also I noticed that despite having a freesync monitor with capped fps at 74, the menu and intermediate screens show several hundred fps value. In the game it works at 74. I capped the frames both in the driver and with console parameter "+fps_max 74".

0 Likes
thedodo
Journeyman III

I got constant crashes while playing, the crashes are totally random, it can crash one time in hour or in first 5 minutes, when i use fps unlimited it crashes each 10min, its only playable for an hour with fps_max 80, seems like a driver issue with amd cards.

It crashes by freezing for 3secs and then just drops you out to the desktop without any warning or messages!

My Setup

RX580 4GB (19.2.3 drivers)

i3-7100

16GB DDR4 2400

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Settings: I have tried all of the ingame settings even the launch options etc, even it crashes when everything is on LOW.

0 Likes
then4p
Adept I

I also experience rare crashes to desktop. Sometimes I can play a couple matches sometimes it crashes in two matches in a row. The crash itself is the game freezing for a couple seconds and then it just closes completely.

CPU: Xeon 1231

RAM: DDR3 2133 MHz

GPU: Sapphire Vega 56 reference / MSI Air Boost 64 (tried both)

SSD: Crucial MX 500

Driver: 19.1.1 I didnt try another one since most people repost crashes with every available driver.

Windows 10 Professional 1809

I am not totally convinced this really is an AMD issue as some of my friends on Windows 7 or 10 with Nvidia GPUs experience the same. Still a good idea to look into it.

0 Likes

I've been testing this game a lot since I'm not having crashes. I've replicated 2 things that will potentially crash the game and a couple solutions that seem to help.

Using Relive is unstable at least in Apex. I ran a test where I streamed to Facebook via Relive's broadcast. It worked great until about 20 minutes into a match then my screens blacked out (assuming video driver failure) then recovered and the game crashed with a DirectX error. I performed the same procedure in DMC5 and it worked without an issue.
Solution: Disable Relive completely.

Unlocking FPS. I only have a 60hz monitor so I was limiting Apex to 60fps. Since some folks here aren't I disabled it and my FPS hovers around 140-180 in game. Infrequently the game will stutter and not be smooth even though my FPS denotes everything is good.
Solution: Limit your FPS. I limited to 120 and I seem fine. Same for 60.
Solution 2: I noticed that the Radeon VII runs a little aggressive on mV at stock. Temps are also higher then I feel they should be. So I undervolted my card about 100mV with wattman and I seem much more stable at lower temps with unlocked FPS. My temps average around 65C. The Radeon VII seems to throttle itself at 79C which it was somehow hitting on stock. I think this throttling could explain the jerkiness I was seeing in game.

graeyz0ne
Journeyman III

I guess this is only adding to the list, but i'm using a R9 270 graphics card together with a AMD FX 6300 for a CPU and 16GB of RAM. The issue are these random crases to desktop w/o message log that just can't seem to be fixed.

i've tried changing the settings to medium and even low (in case) as well as setting the game to fullscreen and tweaking some other settings to check for differences.

Other thing i've heard about is disabling cores 5-6 through the BIOS interface and changing the Windows 10 shared memory limits to match my setup since some games use disk memory together with RAM to optimize gameplay and rendering (it is known that win10 limits a lot of settings by default), but at the end of the day these CTD still happened  at random points. The last two days i've been crashing in the first two minutes of the match and when there is heavy activity on screen (sometimes) like quick turning or in a crossfire with your team.

It's really game breaking

thedodo
Journeyman III

Well guys, it seems like it's a huge issue of AMD cards, few days ago i bought nVidia 1080 Ti, i was tired of crashing, so i switched, now i havent crashed once, everything is smooth, nvidia recently updated their drivers, fixed all of the apex crashes etc, amd havent done anything, the issue is more AMD card related now, haven't heard any complains of nvidia users since driver upgrade, none of the recomended game settings above will help until AMD will fix their drivers.

zlobor
Journeyman III

so.. here is what helped me.. i updated my card to 19.3.1
lowered all settings on low.. anti aliasing 2x.. set fps to 60.. and just turned on the game and no crashes to desktop for 2 hours.. hope that fixed it.. 
gpu: RX 560

oceanmv
Journeyman III

Just adding to the list of people with problems:

Setup:

CPU: i5-2400

GPU: RX 570 4 GB 

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

Driver: 19.2.3

I attempted to reinstall drivers and the sort, and none of it worked. There is the option to use an optional driver, but I haven't tried that yet.

0 Likes
nolly
Adept I

Jus tried to play two games. Crashed to desktop after the freeze in minutes of landing in game. 

I5 - 3570k

GPU Rx580 8GB

RAM 16GB DDR3

Driver 19.3.1

My best solution:

Hello, this has been the best solution I've found so far, only the game closes for the first time, it's reliable, like this:

in the ORIGIN, disable update the game and originate automatically and then this:
They go and create a text file on the desktop, open it and copy and paste the following:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ GraphicsDrivers] "TdrDelay" = hex (b): 08,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Then they give it to "save as" and select "all the files and in the name they put" FIX.REG "and they give it to save.
Then they double click and accept everything.
that would be all, hopefully serve you.
0 Likes
juhzzin
Journeyman III

I've played for six hours with ReLive 19.3.2 no crashes since then.

I've just tried first game on 19.3.2 and had a crash to desktop. gah

0 Likes

Hi.. So i set 60 fps max (my monitor its 60hz) dont use monitoring programs like relive or msi afterburner if so its gonna crash. go to radeon settings and turn it off or alt + r .. I've played today for 4 hours and was fine for me. My rig its i5 3470+rx 5704gb +8gb ram

0 Likes
painful8th
Adept II

Same issue on:

• Windows 10 64 bit home (1804)
  • i5 4590k, 16gb, no O/C
  • RX480 8Gb, 19.2.2 drivers

Running the Windows reliability report shows that I'm plagued by APPCRASHes with a bad_module_info identifier (sorry, debug output in Greek):

Προέλευση
bad_module_info

Σύνοψη
Σταμάτησε να λειτουργεί

Ημερομηνία
‎16/‎3/‎2019 11:54 μμ

Κατάσταση
Αποστολή αναφοράς

Περιγραφή
Διαδρομή ελαττωματικής εφαρμογής:    bad_module_info

Υπογραφή προβλήματος
Όνομα συμβάντος προβλήματος:    APPCRASH
Όνομα εφαρμογής:    bad_module_info
Έκδοση εφαρμογής:    0.0.0.0
Χρονική σήμανση εφαρμογής:    00000000
Όνομα ελαττωματικής λειτουργικής μονάδας:    unknown
Έκδοση ελαττωματικής λειτουργικής μονάδας:    0.0.0.0
Χρονική σήμανση ελαττωματικής λειτουργικής μονάδας:    00000000
Κωδικός εξαίρεσης:    00000000
Μετατόπιση εξαίρεσης:    0000000000000000
Έκδοση λειτουργικού συστήματος:    10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Αναγνωριστικό τοπικών ρυθμίσεων:    1032

Περισσότερες πληροφορίες σχετικά με το πρόβλημα
Αναγνωριστικό κάδου:    2fa587f61571ffe999423f2b2f32e164 (120792870519)

Tried everything I could, including Radeon overlay, switching to a max performance power profile, disabling the origin overlay... Issue happened some 7 times today.

0 Likes

Please can you try the following solution for the crash and Bad Module errror as shown in Event Viewer?

A solution to the problem was to change the "r5apex" launcher in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex" to "Disable fullscreen optimisations" i found that this setting against either the origin launcher or the easyanticheat launcher did not yield any results.

To do this,

-Navigate to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex folder, (Or wherever you may have installed the game).

-Locate the "r5apex" application exe.

-Right click on the aforementioned file and go to "Properties".

-Click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top.

-Towards the bottom of the form set "Disable Fullscreen Optimisations" to TRUE, (With a tick).

This may launch your game in a windowed format, you can change this once you've launched."

mozartsghost
Journeyman III

My crashing is that it simply freezes up and goes to the desktop. R9 290

I have found just ONE fix in all the ones i've tried, and honestly I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's playable for now and i've not crashed in days (around 10-15 hours of gameplay)]

Keep tweaking the FPS_MAX XX until you find a framerate that doesn't crash.

For me it was 71, I started it at 50 and it didn't crash for an hour, as opposed to crashing every 1-3 games. I then went up in multiples of 10 every single game (a little tedious initially) 

Soon as I got to 80 I had a random crash and so I went down in multiples of 5 and so on. Ended up at 71 so far and no crashes. 

Annoyingly I have a 144HZ monitor so I like to squeeze out every frame, but for now, no crashes. 

Other things to note

I have graphics all on low, with model detail high and FOV at max (just my preference) 

Full screen res

Discord

I have disabled all Origin overlay and settings, but again that's preference, i'm not sure if that affects the game

Properties of Origin and Apex are run as Admins and disabling the full screen optimization thingy.

Hope this works as I keep joining squads and see people disconnect randomly #feelsbad.

0 Likes

I was able to get a whole 5 hours of Apex yesterday with no crashes yesterday with a variation of this solution.
In specific:

• Disable AMD FreeSync for the game using an application profile. All other Application Profile settings in ReLive are "leave to the application" or disabled.
  • Disabled all overlays, including Origin which to me seems to be the main culprit of many crashes... Origin seriously sucks).
  • Discord is open but NO overlay.
  • Launch options: +fps_max 75
  • For Video Settings:
    • Full-screen mode, native resolution (1440p)
    • Set all settings to low, no VSYNC, no FPS target, simply put all settings to the lowest possible.
    • On every successful game I played, I dialed the video settings to highest starting from bottom to top. So far I've only re-enabled up to the "Sun Shadow Coverage" to the max, will probably leave V-Sync, Adaptive Resolution FPS, Anti-Aliasing, and Texture Streaming Budget to the lowest unless I feel the game is stable enough to change those.

Running a Gigabyte Vega 56 on ReLive 19.3.2.

Will post again if there's a crash.

0 Likes

For me the FPS_MAX was the fix. I have everything else on, the Freesync, max field of view, graphics are all low (my preference), texture streaming is 4GB. I'm currently at 70FPS so I might try 75 if that's working for you.

0 Likes
cowtown62
Adept III

i honestly cant believe everytime a buy a amd card i regret it. 380x constant crashs to desktop. rx 480 crashs to desktop.  now the rx 590 i just bought crash's to desktop. all different games different situations. luckily im in a position i can just bring the card in and buy a 1660 or 1660 ti hell i might just stick with my gtx 780. Ive tried a few fixs but im just kinda tired of these garbage products. Why should i even try to fix it? id just sell your cards and get some Nvidia ones to be honest. i tried the old drivers and the new ones i ddu uninstalled i have all overlays disabled its simple AMD's problem i dont know why people blaming developers pretty sure amd market share still not so great they just dont care about the minority. 

0 Likes

Does every game crash to the desktop?

0 Likes

If you are only changing your GPU and the rest of the system remains the same then consider that it could possibly be there is another software/hardware component that is causing the issue.

0 Likes

The game is pretty buggy right now as everybody knows, but AMD users do seem to be suffering quite a bit. Like I said mine was crashing randomly every couple games with an R9 290, and the only fix was to use the fps_max property for the game, and set it to 70. Not crashed since over a week of play. 

Before that it was random freeze / crash / closes every couple games, sometimes every game for 2-3 games.

0 Likes

Alone if you have problems with 3 different cards you should look for the problem with your remaining components Ram/Mainboard/HDD/ Software whatever. Because the purchase of a Nvidia card won't help the game on the 1000 series crashes even worse than on Amd cards. I have a R9 Fury in my system and have no problems at all, just like a friend has a Vega64 that has no problems, another has a Gtx 1070 that crashes every 2nd round by chance that has already tested 5 different drivers and it doesn't help. The crashes are due to the game with certain configs etc. You can only wait for an update from Respawn or just play something else.

0 Likes

I will admit my son and I both had issues with AL with our 1060 and 2060 with earlier drivers. I don't have any issue with them with the latest driver. They seem to have that fixed. I also oddly enough have had no issue running AL with my RX 580 either but do get crashes on my R9 380x.

0 Likes

This does not sound like the GPUs are the problem. Try stability testing your PC with prime95 and memtest. If a lot of applications are crashing to desktop you might have defective RAM in your PC.

0 Likes

I believe I might have just found a fix; I used an autoexec from this guy on YouTube called "Floxay", which basically does everything to make the game run smoother.

I have been playing for two days on a 144 FPS cap without crashes as opposed to a few crashes a day with a 100 FPS limit, it has to be said that Performance has generally increased a lot after applying this script (~120FPS average to an easy 144+ avg on RX580 8G, so in my case the game could maybe still crash from getting 100% usage over an extended amount of time, just have to test more if I have time to waste)

link to the YouTube vid

link to the Autoexec config

To apply this simply create a file named "autoexec.cfg" in your cfg folder (for me it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex\cfg\") and paste everything from the pastebin.

All credits for the Script obviously go to floxay on YouTube or whoever created it in the first place.

Please update if this helped anyone, I would like to know.

This is great man. Works a treat. What does it do to the sound exactly?