cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

highlybummed
Adept I

Any Workarounds for Broken Downloads?

I have several ATI FirePro V5700 PCIe graphics cards and I would like to have the latest driver/software suite for Win7x64.

Believe it or not, I am confined to a 56k dial-up connection and it is impossible for me to download this suite -- or just about any other driver software -- from your servers because they do not support resuming a broken download. There is no way that I can download more than approximately 110MB without the connection dropping. Then I have to redial and go on from there.

Is there any way that I can link to a file on your site through a server that does support a resume function or is there some other workaround that you can think of? I have a download manager that supports resume and I believe that the built-in Firefox downloader will resume. The problem is that the servers they are downloading from don't support that function -- unlike practically every other server I've downloaded from in the past ten years.

I know that I can get one of the latest -- if not the latest -- drivers through windows update but it's just the display driver, not the suite that is offered through AMD's site.

No, I can't use a workplace or friend's high speed connection. If I could, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for your kind attention!

Grant

1 Solution

Your Professional FirePro V5700 is considered to be legacy and not supported by AMD anymore with driver updates. The last driver update is from 2012:

I have downloaded the last driver for your card and uploaded it to a File Sharing site (free) that doesn't use AMD Servers. Here is the link to download the file: FirePro_8.911.3.4_VistaWin7_X32X64_140087.exe 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Could try the ones from the Softpedia servers, it's a slightly older version (8.911.3.1 vs 8.911.3.4), but they should support download managers.

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/AMD/ATI-FireGL-FirePro-FireMV-Unified-Driver-891131-for-Vista-Windows-7.shtml

great advice! in addition many 3rd party download managers are able to re-initiate downloads to resume where downloading in a browser wont so you could try that too.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

The medieval driver is here - just a few MB

Microsoft Update Catalog 

jdrobinson314
Challenger

Stashing it in Google drive might be an option - not sure if you can tell Google drive to fetch it for you - I haven't tried that before.

Nor have I tried resuming a download from Google drive. But the partiality fix might be part of the app function. 

I remember those downloaders that let you resume broken download connections, those were awesome for dial up. 

I used to use a program called flash get . I googled it and it's still around and still free. Might be worth a try to the OP. 

0 Likes
highlybummed
Adept I

Thank you to those who took the trouble to respond!

The softpedia link looked promising, but the download linked back to AMD servers, so same problem. My download manager shows no resume support for the download. Same thing for the Firefox built-in downloader -- interrupt the download and retry, it resets to the beginning. From what I've read, another download manager is not going to help. The server has to support the resume function for resuming to take place, and the AMD servers -- at least the one this file is on -- apparently do not.

I already have the Microsoft Update .cab file to try as a last resort. This is probably just the video driver, though, without the Catalyst Pro Control Center which is included in the AMD Software Suite download on this site.

It looks like there really is no normal download option that does not use AMD servers and without server resume support it looks like that's all she wrote for my quest for the Software Suite as opposed to just the video driver. I was hoping for some sort of trick that would allow you to resume a download from a server that does not support it, but, that's life in the big city. I will investigate flashget -- I think you can get it as a Firefox add-on -- to see whether it does something that circumvents the need for server resume support.

What is the down side for AMD to support resuming on their servers? The vast majority of sites I've tried to download anything from have been identified by my download manager as supporting resume. Granted, the vast majority of computer users either personally have, or have routine access to, a high speed connection and so are not likely to need a resume feature, but then why is it so common?

Anyway, thanks again.

Grant  

0 Likes

You might try some version of wget for windows, resuming a broken download with wget -c.

Not supporting resume download seems ignorant this day and age. But these are drivers, and there needs to be some level of file or at least transfer integrity check. Transfer integrity can't be done outside a single session download server-side without bloated backend logging and non anonymous log in on dynip.

0 Likes

Your Professional FirePro V5700 is considered to be legacy and not supported by AMD anymore with driver updates. The last driver update is from 2012:

I have downloaded the last driver for your card and uploaded it to a File Sharing site (free) that doesn't use AMD Servers. Here is the link to download the file: FirePro_8.911.3.4_VistaWin7_X32X64_140087.exe 

elstaci! You are da Man!

This was above and beyond the call of duty.

There were three interruptions for Unknown Server Error along the way, but I had a usable workaround for that. Eventually I was able to get the whole file -- which was not possible for me through AMD's servers.

May your foot be ever free of the heavy tread of misfortune.

Grant