Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

TheIronFistOfDeath
Journeyman III

Any AMD Video Driver causing BSOD on New PC

System Configuration:
Operating System: Windows 10 21H2 (tried Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, stock
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming B550-Plus, current BIOS
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (these are not on the QVL)
PSU: Corsair CX600M
Storage: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue NVMe SSD and Samsung 980 SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe

I recently purchased components to build a new Plex server and everything seems to go smoothly until I install Radeon Software or any version of the AMD video drivers, where I instantly get a BSOD.  Even if I allow Windows to install updates (and thus drivers) during the initial OS install.  However, if I disable driver updates through Windows Update and do not install Radeon Software, I don't have an issue.  And if I do install Radeon Software, I can boot into Safe Mode, remove the video driver, and the system boots and runs normally.  The system also appears to run normally if I use a SATA drive.  On a SATA drive, I can even install Radeon Software without issue.

I also cannot install Ubuntu Linux, connected to the internet or not, installing updates or third party software or not.  I can run a live session fine but when I try to install it to the drive, I receive an error stating the type of error usually indicates the drive is the problem.  After which, a live session starts and the drive disappears.  I get this same behavior on both brand new nvme drives.  I'm curious if an AMD video driver is being installed with the OS, instead of a generic one (or maybe a generic one is also problematic).

Over the past several days I have:
Tested the PSU
Updated BIOS
Run 24 hours of Prime95 without a video driver installed
Multiple runs of MemTest86 without a video driver - all passed
Set RAM at both auto and DOCP
Tried a different nvme drive
Tested the nvme drives with manufacturer's tools
Moved the nvme drive to the other m2 slot
Installed Asus provided drivers

None of the above have produced positive results or anything enlightening.  I'm leaning towards returning the processor but wanted to see if maybe there was something I missed or could try before that.  I have purchased RAM from the QVL.  I don't expect it to make any difference but if nothing else, I'll have sticks for my next gaming build.

0 Likes
2 Replies
TheIronFistOfDeath
Journeyman III

Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner but I threw an old Sapphire R7 260X in and everything worked as expected. Seems safe to say the GPU portion of the processor is the issue.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, this did not pan out. I replaced the processor and still have the same issue. Maybe I got a bad motherboard. I will contact ASUS support and see what we can figure out.

0 Likes