Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

genmokai
Newcomer

Any AMD Driver install will crash the OS

Hello,

I setup my machine after a short move. Launch steam or discord it crashed. I made sure nothing loaded on the next boot, can open anything. If I use discord crash, steam, crash or AMD radeon it crashes. I ran AVG, Bitdefender, verified windows nothing was found. I've run CHKDSK it completed the process and rebooted into the same problems. So I reinstalled windows.

Update: I just noticed I am not running SP2 I am presently getting those updates installed. (PC boots normally. Without a graphics driver)  I apologize for overlooking that.

Reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit Home twice, first time around I installed the newest drivers from AMD. Restart as it prompted me too. BSOD, Couldn't uninstall it without an error, and DDU cause something else? Anyway reinstalled the OS again. I chose to install an older version of AMD 19.4.1 It prompts me to restart, BSOD. I'm back in safemode to run the DDU shuffle. Then I can launch normally without a problem, as I am typing to you currently. This is a normal boot without AMD Drivers, I have steam and Discord open. I  never crashed in my BIOS, I can open and install and run any application, but if I install anything form the AMD drivers, Auto detection or specific definitions instantaneous issues.

What I've Done:

Checked all the components, CPU;s cooling unit H100iGTX is secure , Graphic cards (R9 290X Crossfired - NZXT to H55 for cooling) are as snug as they can be, all SATA connections I unplugged and re-plugged one at a time to make sure it was set. PSU connections are fine, PSU is tested no pin issues or voltage problems. RAM is seated securely.

I'm at a complete loss for what I can do here, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/7/2019, 12:51:50
       Machine name: UNIT-IV-PC
   Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
       System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/03/16 10:42:50 Ver: 05.0000B
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16308MB RAM
          Page File: 2652MB used, 29959MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

0 Likes
3 Replies

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

Hello, 

Thank you for your response.

I have updated the OS completely. Everything is accounted for nothing else to install from windows. I then installed the latest drivers. It crashed upon restarting. I went into safe mode /w networking and used DDU. I did this shuffle 2 more times, with the older drivers and allowing the auto detect. Every time I was prompted to restart for the driver installation it BSOD'd when I got to the logon screen. Which I chose to DDU in safe mode to be able to use the machine without a drive in a normal boot as I am right now.

0 Likes

Double post.

Since my last post I've been able to use the machine without drivers. I think It has something to do with a conflict with windows 7 updates for a specific driver: Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA. I found from another post a mean to get all the definitions for Windows 7 without needing to check relaunch and recheck for updates.

I am now stable with AMD drivers 19.5.1 I am using this version as this is the last time recall not having an issue. I gained issues doing a fresh install in safe mode to update to the latest driver set. I guess this machine is fine for now till I move away from the AMD cards. r9 290x was a nice card and a nice experiment. I believe this card or both of them have run their course.

From what I've gathered is that the Master r9 290x when in game is ranging from 0-100% GPU usage. I've been using GPU-Z and Global WattMan I discovered that the Average GPU Usage was steadily increasing during the play session of any game. You'll find that when I close the game it drops as expected to nominal readings. I have seen some FPS drops when the machine his about an average of 55% Average Activity. I am currently using the Crossfire default settings with chill On and set to a target of 64fps.

I assume this means these cards are on their way out anyway. If you have a moment, let me know what you think.

Thanks again for the information.

0 Likes