cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

5700xt
Adept II

Antialiasing is not taking effect in DirexctX®9 applications on RDNA2 graphics

Last year i reported the same problem on RDNA graphics. It has been solved since the 2021.3.1 driver:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/antialiasing-is-not-taking-effect-in-direxctx-9-applic...

Just bought an AMD RX 6700 XT and have to see its the same problem again, tested with 22.3.1 and 21.10.2 driverAntialiasing in Radeon Software graphics settings is not taking effect in DirexctX®9 applications on 6700 XT. AA work fine with RX580, Vega56 and 5700XT.

In this thread i read "This is a common issue with 6000th generation of Radeon":

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx-6600-xt-anti-alising-not-working/m-p/488513

Is there a chance it will be fixed by amd?

21 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

In Adrenaline set those functions to use application settings.

I found this lets the game engine/software use what it can support and use the game graphics/display options as a workaround.

I do this in all my games and find that my GPU (RX 6900 XT) runs a lot smoother and temps even at load never exceed 44C.

I run DX DX9 DX11 games on my build and the only issue I encounter is intermittent audio cutouts.  

The audio cutouts have no impact on the game performance they're just a minor annoyance for me.

I've tried other brands of audio hardware and the same issue occurs which leads me to believe windows 10 is causing the problem. DXDIAG finds no problems. Command Prompts also find not problems.

0 Likes

Unfortunately there are no in game/application Antialiasing settings. The Radeon Software graphics settings are the only way.

0 Likes

Yeah some games have them and some just have scaling detail level and visual effects check boxes. Considering they are older DX9 games I should have remembered their visual and audio settings are usually more limited.

I have found that a lot of my DX and DX9 games do not respond well to those settings on my build either. With a few exceptions like StarCraft Dawn of War 40K and the original Never Winter Nights (Even Remastered version).

My build is CPU Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.2GHz with MSI FROZR L 200 watt TDP Cooler.

PSU Thermaltake Tough Power 1200 watt

MOBO MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK with latest BIOS and CPU chipset drivers.

RAM 32GB 4x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum PC3200

SSD Samsung SATA 3 870 EVO V-NANO 4 TB

GPU Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT with latest WHQL driver.

WIFI Gigabyte PCIEx1 10/100/1000 MBPs 5G/Bluetooth LAN.

OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Version 21H2.

It is possible that the new software builds on the new generation GPUs just have less compatibility with older games. Its the responsibility of the game developers to keep their games up to date unless the updating has reached the limits of their game core software in which case that is the final product unless someone creates a remastered version.

Outside of that you could try driver only download and use a AMD friendly/optimized third party GPU controller.     

You may want to open a support ticket with AMD/support.com

This doesn't mean we can't help you find a solution to the issue but at the moment I have no way of accurately testing and checking for the results you are encountering first hand. Hardware and Software on each build respond in different ways to various apps hence the term PC (Personal Computer). 

0 Likes

"It is possible that the new software builds on the new generation GPUs just have less compatibility with older games."

AMD fixed it for RDNA cards with the 2021.3.1 driver. Hope they will do also for RDNA2 cards.

"You may want to open a support ticket with AMD/support.com"

Have reported it via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

Thanks ThunderBeaver.

Problem continues in 22.3.2 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

Problem continues in 22.4.1 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

Problem continues in 22.4.2 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

0 Likes

Antialiasing is not taking effect RX 6500 XT

EFermi
Miniboss

This is indeed a common RDNA2 problem as far as I know. I have a 6900XT and use VSR for old games as a workaround solution. Modern games, luckily, have built-in AA, usually TAA or some variation of temporal filter, that does the job, but titles from the first half of 2010s and earlier are a problem - the earlier titles may not have AA at all, the later only postprocess via FXAA/SMAA which are sub-par at best, if not straight ugly, and even games that have built-in MSAA only do normal multisampling, no transparency antialiasing. Only few OpenGL titles can be overriden properly.

So, as a workaround, I recommend you use VSR for really old or not GPU intensive games, maybe sprinkle some GeDoSaTo on the titles that support it. If all that fails, there is a very decent, very high quality ReShade antialiasing shader called HQAA, which straight up kicks those wimpy MLAA/FXAA/SMAA in the balls. ReShade Forum page: https://reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/7604-h-ybrid-high-q-uality-a-nti-a-liasing-hqaa ;; Direct GitHub link to shader: https://github.com/lordbean-git/HQAA

First of all, I hope AMD will fix this for RDNA2 graphics as they did for RDNA cards last year.

When hope dies, i will try your workarounds VSR and HQAA.

Problem continues in 22.5.1 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

Problem continues in 22.5.2 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

Problem continues in 22.6.1 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

Now testet @EFermi recommendations as workaround:

Come on AMD, please fix the in driver antialiasing settings for RDNA2 cards like you did it for RDNA cards last year.

0 Likes

By stutter, do you mean low framerate or actual stutter? If it's the latter, then try disabling all in-driver synchronization / framerate options such as enhanced sync, vsync (set to off unless specified), chill, boost, anti-lag etc. 

Main culprits for me are anti-lag and enhanced sync, they produce stutters in vsr for me too. 

Yes, stuttering, there is no flow. All these options are off (default settings). Only Antialiasing is on Supersampling (with no effect).

Thank you @EFermi , but i think only AMD can help. Or i have to rebuild to 5700xt and dispose the 6700xt...

0 Likes

Problem continues in 22.7.1 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

0 Likes

Problem continues in 22.8.1 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

0 Likes
5700xt
Adept II

Problem continues in 22.8.2 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

5700xt
Adept II

Problem continues in 22.9.1 driver - reported via the Radeon bug reporting tool.

@amd: Do you read along here - does it make any sense to wait or should i rebuilt to my 5700XT or even Nvidia? Some feedback would be desirable!

5700xt
Adept II

Problem continues in 22.9.2 driver.

I give up. Just installed my RDNA 5700XT. Antialiasing works like a charm. Perhaps i try the RDNA2 6700XT with a new driver in a few months, at the moment i'm fed up.