Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

assumingunicorn
Adept I
Adept I

Annoying screen flickering after 15.7 update and after driver rollback

My computer notified me of a new updatae for my 7950 so I installed it and rebooted my computer. After playing games for a while, my screen started to flicker very often almost once every 30 seconds. It doesn't matter what I'm doing whether I'm playing games or watching videos. I searched everywhere online and no one has figured out a solution to it yet unless I couldn't find one. I rolled back my drivers to 14.12 but the problem is still occurring. I've cleaned out my pc of dust and my computer is connected via hdmi. Has anyone found a way to fix this annoying problem?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
agnost0s
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Annoying screen flickering after 15.7 update and after driver rollback

I had the exact same problem after updating to 15.2 and beyond, causing me to rollback to14.10 or something. I found a really simple solution today, go into CCC -> My digital Flatpanels -> Properties and at the bottom tick the "Reduce DVI frequency etc" checkbox and click apply. The flickering goes away, even after you untick that and click apply again. Even after starting a full screen game and exiting, it does not reoccur. Have not checked after rebooting, but I imagine the solution would be the same.

0 Kudos
assumingunicorn
Adept I
Adept I

I don't have the option to reduce dvi frequency under my digital flatpanels under the CCC.

0 Kudos
agnost0s
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

That's a dead end then. Have you tried using a DVI cable instead and see if the problem persists? If it does, does the above solution work for you?

0 Kudos
assumingunicorn
Adept I
Adept I

I've switched to DVI but the problem still persists. I've also used another HDMI cord but the problem is still there too.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

If your computer is fully updated from Windows Update, then try a clean install of the graphics drivers.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Kudos
assumingunicorn
Adept I
Adept I

I've fully uninstalled my graphics card and all of its drivers and installed a fresh new one about 3 weeks ago with the advice given to me from another forum. It seemed fine for about 10 minutes but it went back to normal flickering.

0 Kudos
paglamia
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yes its super annoying.  I've got a ASUS 290X on 64bit Win 8.1 where the flickering starts happening at random times.  My panels are Dell 2405WFP and a Dell U2410.

I've worked around the issue by going into the AMD Catalyst Control Center -> My Digital Flat Panel -> Properties.  Then I toggle the "Enable virtual super resolution", i.e. if it was on, I turn it off and if it was off I turn it on.  This does what looks to be reset of something as the output on my screen goes blank for a second or so and comes back - but the flickering is no longer there.  A few hours later it comes back, I pull up the AMD CCC and I toggle the setting again.

I've found workaround to be the most quickest method of getting rid of the flickering so far.

0 Kudos
mtlboomcat
Adept I
Adept I

You may need to disable your Eyefinity Group for the option to appear. I did that, enabled it and my problem doesn't seem to exist anymore.

0 Kudos
mtlboomcat
Adept I
Adept I

This solved my problem. I had to disable my eyefinity group for the DVI option to appear. Enabled it, recreated my Eyefinity group and the flicker seems to have disappeared. Thanks for the tip!

*edit: this is on a 390x with 15.7.1 drivers.

0 Kudos