cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ahmedseliem15
Newcomer

amdihk32.dll error

I have been dealing with this error for few months thinking that it was something wrong with windows. but after i reinstalled windows now just to get rid of it, i found out it's still there and it's a driver or software problem. Can anyone help me with how to fix that?

first problem : my graphics card is AMD Radeon 8850M, but it adrenaline software reads it as R9 M200X Series.

second problem : this error that happens whenever i try to open any game or even when i installed discord i got the error too. 

The drivers are up to date, i'm using version 20.4.2

and the windows is up to date too.

any idea?

0 Likes
4 Replies
ahmedseliem15
Newcomer

any help?

0 Likes

Can you post the exact Laptop model you have. If possible the S/N.

AMD generic laptop drivers most of the time won't show the exact GPU card your laptop has installed but the family or series of your GPU card. But the driver will be compatible and should work but probably won't use some of none of your laptop's special graphics features if applicable.

To get your Laptop GPU card to show correctly you must install your Laptop's Support AMD Driver. Which is always the best since it is customized for your laptop and any specific new features installed by the manufacturer.

If you have an Intel APU you must have the latest Intel Graphics and CHIPSET drivers installed with the latest BIOS version from your support site. Windows must be fully updated via Windows Update.

If your laptop has a AMD APU then you must download the APU driver which will automatically install both the Integrated and Discrete Graphics driver for your laptop.

0 Likes

Hi, thanks a lot for replying to me.

I have tried to install the amd driver for my laptop that's provided by dell. but the installation fails due to failing to connect to amd server. I think the software is very old and the amd server IP it tries to connect to is not existing anymore. 

Here is the laptop model : Dell inspiron 5537

and here is a screen shot from from dxdiag shows system model and bios version.

Here is what you needed the serial number for. that's my laptop's page in dell website. it shows service tag and express service code. not sure which one u needed from these. it also shows the drivers and catalog pdf in documentation.

Support for Inspiron 15R 5537 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

0 Likes

As far as I am aware, you don't need the internet to install the AMD driver package. Unless Dell drivers requires it.

Its fine about the S/N since you found the correct laptop Dell Support download page. It is best to input the S/N at the Dell Support site to get the correct Laptop drivers page. Since there may be several Dell models of the same laptop.

Do you have the latest Dell BIOS version installed - 2019?

Here is Dell's own Windows 10 AMD Graphic driver that has been updated in 2019: AMD Radeon HD Graphics Driver | Driver Details | Dell US  from your laptop support page.

Also try using Intel's own Driver updater from Intel to update all of your laptop's Intel drivers. It is called Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Here is the latest AMD Driver for your GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8850m... 

Here is the Previous AMD Driver for your GPU card in case the latest doesn't work correctly: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/am... 

When you install the Dell or AMD Graphics driver use this basic method and see if it install correctly without any errors:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

If you still are getting an error installing either the Dell AMD Driver or the generic AMD Driver than run Dell's diagnostics page at the link you posted and see if you have any software or hardware issues that pops up.

Dell's AMD driver should install without any issues since it was made for your laptop.

EDIT: Also check Device Manager that your GPU is showing up and without any errors. Also run GPU-Z and make sure at the bottom of the GPU-Z data it show OpenCL and OpenGL and 1 or 2 others boxes have a Check mark next to it. This shows the driver has been properly installed.

Also make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update for the AMD Driver to work correctly.

0 Likes