Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

AMDGPU-PRO Driver on Ubuntu 16.04: slow typing in Eclipse IDE

I installed the AMDGPU-PRO Driver for my RX 480 on Ubuntu 16.04. Everything seems to be working fine except if using the Eclipse IDE, while typing in this application characters appear with a noticeable lag. Scrolling is also slow.

If I disable the video card and run Ubuntu with the integrated graphics card it works fine. Maybe an issue with the driver?

Please help resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: AMDGPU-PRO Driver on Ubuntu 16.04: slow typing in Eclipse IDE

Still no way to solve the issue...

It would be great to hear from driver developers it is a recognized issue and that it'll be fixed with next updates.

Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro, Eclipse probably the most popular IDE. I bet there are many people with this same problem.

This is my first time with an AMD card, too bad I have to replace it because of this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

This is a user-to-user gaming forum. Not that many Linux users here. You should contact AMD about your issue > AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the same Problem and not clue how to fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I suggest you to report the issue as well with the page provided by kingfish. In the meantime I swap the integrated card with the rx 480 each time I reboot to windows. Quite annoying...

I'll wait for some months before changing the card. I'm waiting for new releases of the driver. Also, Ubuntu should support this card out of the box with the next release. Actually it's the 4.7 kernel which has support for the card, I tried changing to this version of the kernel but it didn't work for me. Still I'll wait for Ubuntu 16.10 and then change the card if it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I do not have the option with an internal GPU. I'm using a Xeon cpu I tried different 4.7 kernels too. No luck. I can live with the problem but it is annoying and slows down my workflow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I tried to work with the issue but since I spend 90% of the time typing or scrolling the text it becames unbearable. I put two hdmi cables to my monitor, one from the dedicated card and one from the integrated, I then configured the monitor to autoselect the source. So I basically have to enter the bios and swap from the rx 480 to the integrated each time I have to change from ubuntu to windows. It costs me about 10 seconds with each restart. This is the best I could came up with to mitigate the problem.

I suggest you to get another cheap dedicated card and do a similar configuration, unless you need the card under Linux. Using it only on Windows for gaming for me it's ok.

Otherwise I'm afraid get another card is your best option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I was able to solve this problem. This is what I did.

1. Downloaded and installed linux-firmware 1.160 from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware (no problem that 1.160 is for 16.10)
  2. Added this PPA padoka PPA : Paulo Dias  and updated all installed Mesa libs.
  3. Downloaded 4.7.2 Kernel (generic) from Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline

Links to AMD64 kernel files:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.2/linux-headers-4.7.2-040702_4.7.2-040702.2016082...
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.2/linux-headers-4.7.2-040702-generic_4.7.2-040702...
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.2/linux-image-4.7.2-040702-generic_4.7.2-040702.2...

4. Deinstalled AMDGPU PRO driver
  5. Reboot
  6. Installed the three downloaded kernel deb packages
  7. Reboot
  8. Et voila! Everythings fine.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

It works! Unfortuntely by updating the kernel my wifi adapter has stopped working, I'm looking for a solution. I have some graphic problems anyway, in some applications white is replaced by beige and some Unity transparencies don't work. I also noticed you actually don't need the 4.7 kernel, anything above the 4.4.0-36 seems to behave in the same way.

The slow typing and scrolling is definitely gone though.

That's great. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Your problem with wifi maybe is a problem with NDIS wrapper and kernel modules that can't be loaded from 4.7 kernel. Saw this while I was testing around with Linuxmint to get the RX480 work. Unfortunatly I can't help you there.

I have no problems with transparencies under Unity. Got them in my Linuxmint tests too. Maybe it is a theme related thing. I'm using Arc theme and I have no such problem.

Polaris OS hardware support exists only in kernel 4.7+

0 Kudos