cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

porcelainmouse
Adept I

amdgpu 19.30 RPM install fails "building initial module" for linux kernel 5.3

Does anyone know that amdgpu-install *should* fail on kernel 5.3?

If not, I could use some help fixing it.  All the other RPMs seemed to install fine, but during the post-install script for amdgpu-core-19.30-934563.el8.noarch, the DKMS build failed almost immediately:

CC   /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/19.30-934563.el8/build/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_drv.o
In file included from <command-line>:
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/19.30-934563.el8/build/include/kcl/kcl_version.h:4:32: error: missing expression between '(' and ')'
    4 | #define DRM_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
      |                                ^

I've had many similar problems with AMD drivers in the past, but generally have been able to make them work. So, I just don't know if this is expected incompatibility or something I can fix if I could figure out what is wrong.

5 Replies
kow
Journeyman III

Re: amdgpu 19.30 RPM install fails "building initial module" for linux kernel 5.3

This is for AMD:

I am an owner of a Ryzen 3 3200G (this is a fantastic desktop-use APU by the way!) Specific to Ubuntu, I understand that your PRO drivers only support the mainline kernel for Ubuntu's LTS releases (currently 18.04.x on 4.15 kernel). Here is the problem I am running into (remember I have a 3200G/Picasso):

- 4.15 kernel is ancient relative to the release of the 3200G. There is a lot of code in the mainline 5.x kernel that bumps up support for the new Picasso. A customer using Linux with a Picasso will need to use a 5.x kernel

- AMDGPU-PRO drivers only support 4.15 kernel. The open source version (maintained by FreeDesktop) is very, very buggy on Picasso (and I also here same for Raven). I will spare the details since this is not the right forum for the xf86 drivers.

So basically a Picasso user has to decide between

- 4.15 kernel with limited support (I haven't actually tested - it may not work at all) against the CPU-side, but full AMDGPU-PRO support on the graphics/Vega side, or

- 5.x kernel using the buggy xf86 AMDGPU drivers but with much better support on the CPU-side.

My ask/request:

- Can AMD support Ubuntu's Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE)? You'll want to look at linux-image-generic-hwe-<release>. For example, the HWE kernel for 18.04 is linux-image-generic-18.04.

- Ubuntu 18.04.x is on the 5.3 kernel.

- I would even consider dropping support for the original kernel version (the non-HWE version) when the HWE version is released. According to Ubuntu's documentation, it's generally the 2nd point release of an LTS when they roll-out HWE.

Further references that may be of help:

Kernel/LTSEnablementStack - Ubuntu Wiki 

Ubuntu – Details of package linux-image-generic-hwe-18.04 in bionic 

Thank you for your APUs and your continued support of Linux! Please don't drop your APU business - I doubt you have any plans to do so, but just in case. You guys got the APU market to yourselves - Intel and Nvidia have nothing that compares.

kow
Journeyman III

Re: amdgpu 19.30 RPM install fails "building initial module" for linux kernel 5.3

I forgot to mention.. AMDGPU-PRO 19.50 fails to build against the 18.04 HWE 5.3 kernel. I can provide debug info if requested. The failures are specific to building the modules against the kernel headers (DKMS failure, and I looked into it further and it isn't a DKMS issue - DKMS is just stating the module compilation bombed out).

burstaholic
Journeyman III

FYI, installing with `--no-dkms --headless` (plus the opencl flags) worked for me, so if you're OK with 3D rendering from the regular driver and just need OpenCL, you can get it.

matouš
Journeyman III

OK, so it's been two and a half months now and this is still a problem... Is there any way to escalate this problem so that AMD will fix it ASAP? Am at home because of the pandemic and can't work comfortably because of this

0 Likes
baszczer
Adept III

ieamdgpu.jpg

0 Likes