cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

AMD you can do better and more stable drivers.

Please list all known issues that users are having, just because you cannot reproduce does not mean they aren't happening, you have had a huge amount of cards being returned before more then Nvidia, driver issues have existed and they are back since 22.5.2

Please take us seriously, when i say i have a problem i have problem, but when many are having problem and im being told its just me that just enough, i dont wanna buy an Nvidia gpu they are greedy, dlss3 has proven that once again.

Please fix the blackscreen issues for many this is a dejavu moment but for users that have not had AMD gpu for long time its frustating to find out nothing is wrong with your hardware when its all down to drivers.

Even agesa 1207 still has a edc bug so i am stuck on agesa 1203c as result, i have no problems on 22.5.1 recommended drivers i have problems on 22.5.2 and up and same with agesa visions after 1203c.

https://youtu.be/1uynVO4ZXl0

If had a lot of blackscreens when using whatsapp desktop especially when doing video calls or when its running in the background, so i uninstalled whatsapp started doing video calls with signal.

I even tested if signal is stable since 22.7.1 and 22.8.1 and 22.8.2 and 22.9.1 all can trigger blackscreens under 2 minutes, i started video call with my self from phone to my PC it instantly blackscreened i could not even pick it up.

These issues started happening since i got a logitech brio webcam back in juli 22.7.1 is the juli driver, if noticed these problems with 22.7.1 bassicly been testing each driver since to confirm if its stable and always go back to 22.5.1 cos its the only stable driver.

i remember 22.5.2 being stable 22.6.1 was stable, i went back tested these drivers i would blackscreen when doing a video call for like 1 to 3 hours sometimes 10 minutes or 30 minutes.

this has been the case on any driver after 22.5.2 except select few that can trigger it instantly or within 2 minutes when flip model optimisations is enabled on windows 11 22h2

Please stop censoring your feedback and flagging it as spam, im seriously tired of this, i dont wanna buy an nvidia gpu but its more and more starting to look like this is my only solution, enough is enough.

These issues have been going on for years by the looks of it, and its time you fix your drivers once and for all.

1 Solution

Makes desktop stable but games aren't stable it does't fix game stability not even close you just freeze instead of blackscreen bassicly same thing but without blackscreen, desktop use apps etc never had gpu driver crash this probably cos of MPO, while games that freeze system are result of unstable drivers took me long time to realize but disabling MPO is not worth it downsides well if you use HDR its gonna look worse without MPO so don't bother just stick to 22.3.1 or 22.5.1 generally the best drivers or any older driver of preference.

Anyway best solution right now is install old drivers and hope its stable or give up and buy a Nvidia gpu i would stay away from rtx 40 series due to 12 pin issues i would rather settle for AMD driver issues

View solution in original post

0 Likes
164 Replies

The issue still exists for me with monitor set to 10 bit 120hz with the latest AMD drivers. RX 6800. I'm going to try the new test version of Chrome that someone else mentioned next.

0 Likes

Disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay) can improve some desktop apps flicker or stutter issues.

• Stuttering or screen flickers may occur during video playback using hardware acceleration with Chrome.
  • Blackscreens may occur when alt tabbing from game (or Apps. Like Whatsapp) to browser that has video on loop.
  • Some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations.

These issues still affect some people. You can try disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay) to improve the situation.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/disabling-mpo-multiplace-overlay-can-improve-some-desktop-apps-fli...

Didn't do anything for me.

0 Likes

Oh wow, it seems to have worked. Are there any downsides to keeping it off?

0 Likes

Not much. You won't be able to unlock FPS without true fullscreen. That's about it. 
MPO was made in first place to reduce frametime latencies with forcing flip buffer model as if game always was in fullscreen mode. But with how much harm it actually does at this point for some reason benefits aren't outweighting harm.

There are probably other things MPO was made for. But i am not graphics developer, so i am not that knowledgeable

0 Likes

Makes desktop stable but games aren't stable it does't fix game stability not even close you just freeze instead of blackscreen bassicly same thing but without blackscreen, desktop use apps etc never had gpu driver crash this probably cos of MPO, while games that freeze system are result of unstable drivers took me long time to realize but disabling MPO is not worth it downsides well if you use HDR its gonna look worse without MPO so don't bother just stick to 22.3.1 or 22.5.1 generally the best drivers or any older driver of preference.

Anyway best solution right now is install old drivers and hope its stable or give up and buy a Nvidia gpu i would stay away from rtx 40 series due to 12 pin issues i would rather settle for AMD driver issues

0 Likes

Ehmm... isn't HDR requires monitor to be 10+ bit? 
MPO should not technically engage with 10 bit and higher monitors at all. 

0 Likes

Since disabling MPO I have had almost no issues. The only thing I had going on was BF2042 locking up the entire PC at random times, several times every play session. I found out vsync was on and future frame rendering. I turned those off and had no issues since. I'm on the latest driver. I alt tab to browser and whatsapp and discord etc all the time and I have experienced the gray screens etc. I think disabling MPO is definitely a workaround if not a solution if you want to be on newer drivers, so you shouldn't just dismiss it. If you don't mind running an older driver to avoid all this then go back to the previous recommended whql one.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes

Sure. That's why we buy $1k monitors. To disable 10bpc.

0 Likes

Don't judge everyone by your mirror image. Everyone have own preferences and needs. 

0 Likes

Good day!

I didn’t want to write this, but seeing how Nvidia reacted to melting connectors and black screens on their 4090 and 4080 by releasing a global firmware update for video cards of all vendors, I just exploded.
Why doesn't AMD have the same reaction???? And I'll explain why. AMD hangs noodles on their ears with their new video cards and gullible people believe and go to buy new products. This is exactly what AMD is doing - video cards, processors are being sold, money is coming in, what else is needed?
AMD themselves said that if you were tormented by problems with the 400 and 500 series of video cards, then they have a new 5000 series and they fixed everything there. People went to buy 5000 series. But it's the same with the 6000 series, the same black screens and other problems. And AMD again, without fixing all the old problems, releases a new 7000 series - come on, people, grab it, we have fixed all the errors. It feels like AMD thinks people are stupid creatures and fill their pockets full of money. Black screens on AMD video cards did not start from the 400 or 500 series, but much earlier. I got my first black screen and driver reset on my old Sapphire HD4850. It was just that at that time these errors were rare and the blame for this was usually shifted to anything, but not to the drivers or video cards themselves.
Next, I had a Gigabyte HD5850 video card with the same driver timeouts, i.e. no bug fixes have been done by AMD with the 4000 series. Next was Asus R9 290x, everything was fine with it, except that after updating the graphics card drivers when restarting the PC, a black screen was observed if some devices, such as printers or scanners, were connected to the usb 3.0 ports of the motherboard. It's like, excuse me, is connected with the video card and drivers???? But it was, the PC could only be turned on by disabling all of the usb 3.0 ports.
Then I had a Sapphire 5700xt Nitro + and the time that I worked with her (and I worked with her for 2 years) can be called hell. Spontaneous black screens under load and no load, PC reboots, video driver crashes, etc. A lot of time was spent looking for the cause of the unstable operation of the PC,
the power supply, RAM, motherboard and even the processor were replaced in turn, but nothing solved the problem. Suspicion did not immediately fall on the video card, because. it passed without errors all tests, including FurMark. And everything turned out to be exactly in the Sapphire 5700xt Nitro+ video card !!! Namely, in ASIC quality and video card drivers. How was it possible to release an overclocked video card of the Nitro + series with ASIC quality 47.2!???! They would have released the Sapphire TOXIC series with such ASIC quality. The video card could not work stably even at its declared GPU frequency of 2010 MHz, and the video driver forced it to overclock to 2090 MHz or even up to 2150 MHz (the frequency to which the video card was overclocked depended on the driver version). And I made my 5700xt work stably, but only at a frequency of 1995 MHz, instead of the declared 2010 MHz. And this was done not through AMD Radeon Software, but through MSI Afterburner. And this was done because through MSI Afterburner, because it really worked, and did not create only the appearance of work, as AMD Radeon Software did. Through AMD Radeon Software, it was useless to limit the frequency or adjust the fan curves, the **bleep** video card worked the way it wanted, and not the way I wanted.
This is just to the fact that the AMD drivers do not work properly. 

I understand that in the case of ASIC quality, the fault lies with the vendors, in this case Sapphire, but why does AMD not exercise proper control over the products of the vendors? After all, it hits the reputation of AMD themselves. After all, vendors produce the same 5700xt video card?
but one ASIC quality is 92%, and the second is 47.2%. And it is quite expected that such video cards will behave differently with the same driver version, one with ASIC quality 92% will work stably, and the second with ASIC quality 47.2% will not get out of black screens and video driver errors .
Why is it impossible to test a video card with the same driver and limit the frequencies and voltages for a specific video card instance and not equalize all video cards in one line?

And I only listed the problems of AMD video cards, without touching on AMD processors and chipsets, although there are no less problems there.

I have always believed in AMD, my first processor was AMD Am286 and for so many years I have always remained a supporter of AMD, tried to support the company and bought only their products. I have experienced all the ups and downs with AMD, even when it was a complete failure.
with the FX series of processors, I didn't buy a processor from Intel, but bought an AMD FX-8350, hoping that my purchase would help the company get through a difficult period.  But today there is almost no faith in AMD, I now have a 5950x processor and a Sapphire 6950xt Nitro + video card (why Sapphire again? but because I thought that Sapphire is a strategic partner of AMD and they release only good video cards, but how wrong I was then) and I am very tired of the constant struggle for a stable PC. Just humanly very tired.

I don't spend my money to later waste my time and nerves looking for solutions to fix various PC problems. Now I just want a normal and stable working
computer, so in the future I will probably switch for the first time in so many years to the Intel platform, as well as to Nvidia video cards.

Forgive me for my English (it's not my native language) and such a large amount of text, just sore for so many years.

0 Likes

ASIC quality is 92%, and the second is 47.2%. And it is quite expected that such video cards will behave differently with the same driver version, one with ASIC quality 92% will work stably, and the second with ASIC quality 47.2% will not get out of black screens and video driver errors .

By definition, ASIC quality is how similar one or another chip compared to PERFECT case in terms of voltage-->leakage/heating curve. Basically efficiency. It shouldn't affect overclocking THAT much unless you go in dangerous territory. Basically what it does affect - is how much core will heat given same frequency and voltage.
With higher % of ASIC quality GPU can be more prone to overclocking, but not necessarily as all that ASIC quality tells - is efficiency, not potential by itself, as GPU still may not be able to run high clocks or high voltages.

Everyone can get bad sample, It is physically impossible to get 100% product right. You may have gotten, like, 0.03% of problematic one this time. If GPU cannot get to be stable in normal use cases with stock settings, probably you should try to RMA it, then?

PS. ASIC 92% is insanely good. Everything above 83% is REALLY good. average is around 75% iirc.

0 Likes

but seeing how Nvidia reacted to melting connectors and black screens on their 4090 and 4080 by releasing a global firmware update for video cards of all vendors, I just exploded.

It is especially funny as GPU and software for GPU is ONLY thing that Nvidia works on, basically. And what this firmware update does? Ah, right... Forces yout maximum power limit to be locked to a lower value - nice solution. It is avoidance and not solution, as you can do this yourself and technically doesn't solve roots of a problem.

0 Likes
akanehikaru
Adept I

i've tried Disabling MPO and unfortunately nothing happens on my side

anyway, i'm sorry about this, but i just want to share my issues and maybe some of u face the same issues as mine

(i've report this issues too to amd, but i dont think they will fix it soon)

1. the stuttering and screen flicker only happen when i watch the video from twitter and when the video is appears sequentially

2. i dunno if this a bug from edge or what, but my font on facebook sometimes appears too bold when doing some scrolling and fix it by it self when i pointing or just scrolling again

3. i'm an clip studio paint user, when in 22.5.1 the software run normal but after this newer update, the software suddenly become heavier even when i save the file it is become really slow, this issues is not appear when i downgrade it back to 22.5.1

If you are able to set 10 bit color depth try that if that fixes it then you probably did something wrong when trying to disable MPO, alternatively if you have a second screen move the entire browser to 2e monitor and check if the issue exist if it does not then you failed to disable MPO because MPO is only active on primary monitor not secondary.

0 Likes
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

The most annoying part right now is if AMD fixes the MPO bug they probably make no mention of it making a lot of users think its still a thing and not install future drivers for a while and then keep on bug reporting about an issue already fixed heck they may not even know its a MPO bug so how would they even known, the release notes needs to be bigger it needs to report changes made to how HDR works for example, but also changes to vsync behaviour not just oh we fixed enchanced sync no enchanced sync was never broken probably and was only working when MPO was disabled which it is at 10 bit color depth but not at 8 bit color depth, and i am quite sure they made enchanced sync be turned on by default cos MPO hates it if its not in control or synced properly.

0 Likes
BluLem7
Adept II

Yeah..... I'm rolling back to 22.5.1 drivers (SIX MONTHS OLD....) just so I get some more stability and don't crash in one of my games.

I mean.  I'd like to take better performance, have more 'options' and benefit from fixes that post drivers up 22.10.3 can provide, but not at the cost of crashing in the game....

Having to sit on 6mos old drivers with no solution from AMD is starting to make me regret building an all AMD system this time around.  So much so that I'll likely go back to nVidia at minimum (and pay extra money for their GPU), and may even on my next build drop AMD altogether.....!!!!!

I mean, I'm from the days when building a PC with an ATI GPU and MB Drivers for the AMD system was a thing, and back then their drivers were sht...   Not much has changed regarding their driver management.

Stop making new features for your drivers AMD (Unless it's to support better VR), and get your but to fixing issues with crashing unstable drivers in games....

0 Likes

brand new build here which is a 5800x3d and a 6900xt with a LG C1 OLED 120hz TV and so far 22.10.2 and 22.10.3 both have been crap. I have had nothing but issues with Timeouts and black screens that I had to revert back to 22.5.1 and so far everything had been great. AMD really needs to get on the ball. The 22.5.1 came out like 6 months ago and there have been no driver updates that are WHQL since then. 

I have been with AMD for along time but I feel they are getting bad at the drivers these days. Seems like every driver that comes out fixes one thing but breaks many. 

FFS... When Nvidia started to get issues with MPO 2 years ago and lasted them for at least a year, people took it as granted and just disabled MPO. 
When AMD after changes got issues with MPO, people just whine it out. 
JUST DISABLE MPO! Issues will get fixed eventually.

Here, i will even help you out.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

To enable MPO again, just remove that registry key (delete it).
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=-

P.S. Just FYI. This is from Nvidia thread btw
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/multiplane-overlay-issues.443121/

P.P.S. There is chance that regkey disabling MPO stopped working on Win11 22H2. Personal investigation in progress, but that would explain why Nvidia drivers got flooded with bugs after Windows update.

what exactly is the mpo and where do i disable it?

0 Likes

Google, "MPO GPU"
And i wrote that registry edit that disables MPO above. . . 

0 Likes

Ultimately I just feel bad about this..  It's really /facepalm
I really am debating dumping AMD (at least their GPUs) due to this.  6 months of driver features and improvement in other areas, but no fixes toward crashes and stability...  insufficient.

Try 3 years covering up something broken with a crappy bandaid fix that does not fix but just leave it broken for 3 years that is my experience with Nvidia, the fact they just ignored it and then left it without bandaid for another year even more broken pissed me off even more, Nvidia is not your friend either.

AMD should not care about what their competitors cannot do right.  AMD should only care what they SHOULD be doing right.

Overall I've had more problems with AMD drivers over nVidia ones.  Plus, in wanting to explore VR, I'm finding AMD support for this as well rather insufficient.  They need to make greater in-roads in areas such as this.

0 Likes
sur6e
Elite

If 10 bpc disables MPO then that's not the issue. My monitor has been on 10 all along and I have had gray screens on many driver versions. When I switch to 8bpc I get black screens intead. Just the color changes but the issue doesn't seem different. MPO off via registry entry did seem to make the issue occur less but it still happened. I have tried every driver version for months. I'm stable on 22.5.1.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]

@sur6e wrote:

MPO off via registry entry did seem to make the issue occur less but it still happened.

Tried the same thing with older drivers and it was making the issue occur like 4 or 5 times a day...

Now, it has happened to me 1 time with the newest driver Adrenalin Edition 22.11.2 on Windows 11 22H2.

Can confirm this: it seems to make the issue occur less... at least for me.

0 Likes
Drakyry
Adept II

Started having the black screen crashes about 2 months back, haven't yet tried disabling MPO but I was using it with 10 bit settings selected in my monitor OSD and the radeon app so it's oughta be something different

I went from being an AMDrone to thinking that I will never buy another piece of this company's hardware ever again

such a shame

I have had those thoughts too. AMD recommends 22.5.1 though, and that's for good reason. Nvidia are always releasing those game ready drivers etc but do they really change their drivers? Seems to me they just create game profiles with some settings that they say are best for a particular new game. That's not a driver update. I don't know for sure but I doubt they change their driver for every game release. They do have more people I hear so bug fixes may happen a little faster. Game profiles seem like fluff to me though but they bundle it with the drivers so it looks like they update drivers way more. That's how it looks to me. I'd rather see the software have a way to download profiles as games are detected or something.

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

AMD has claimed many fixes but its already out there that enchanced sync is not fixed, enchanced sync cannot run together with fullscreen optimisations which on by default so it will blackscreen, the most they did is put a bandaid ontop so enchanced sync disengages as soon a video is played, this probably made MPO very unstable among other things they changed, what AMD needs to do already what they should've done from beginning is communicate better with third party including game devs but also Microsoft them self.

I think its about time AMD faced a class action lawsuit and be held responsible for their issues, cut the crap with the lies we know you haven't fixed a thing, and we know the main driver team is working on 7000 series while the inexperienced devs are working on 6000 series breaking drivers more and more with each new package shame on you.

I wish they had some knowledgeable community managers who could respond to all these posts and give it to us straight. Even devs who work on the drivers. Would be very nice to be open and transparent about all this. Star Citizen does that well for example. They are very involved and are allowed to respond to reddit posts and forums and issue trackers etc. At least you know what's going on and it's easier to understand and be patient with them. We're left to come together here and figure crap out on our own and still be unsure if we're on to something.

Nederlander?

I think the main problem here is a feedback loop between the quality of AMD's software and the number of people on AMD cards. The lack of investment into driver and software (DLSS/raytracing/shadowplay) causes AMD to underperform (Nvidia holds like 90% of the market nowadays IIRC with the rest split between AMD and intel), which means that it's harder to write drivers for AMD cards since they only hold like 5-8% of the market so are less exposed to a variety of software that Nvidia cards are exposed to.

At the same time since amd only holds such a minor stake in the number of gpus on the market it's harder to justify high expenditure on making the drivers, not to mention that Nvidia is just making a whole lot more money than AMD as a company overall (despite AMD also making CPUs and also console and other APUs), hence Nvidia invests more and gets better drivers.

But this in turn results in more people flocking to Nvidia cards hence a feedback loop that I don't know if the GPU market can escape from. One hope I have is that Intel, perhaps reinforced with the money gifted to them by the CHIPS act can actually provide some competition to nvidia on the gpu market, and then maybe amd can take the clue from intel and also invest more...

But i doubt it.

Best thing AMD can do is just be honest about issues AMD gpu owners commonly have does it matter if its their fault or not, for all i care it takes a year to fix most issues, have issue tracker where users can report problems and see each other problems, really fed up with these problems especially when not alone, they have bigger driver team then Nvidia but they are totally ignoring issues and not even listing them, as if they are to afraid to admit that the problems exist and hurts sales no it won't ignoring problems however will hurt sales.

0 Likes
trickson
Adept II

They have more than just driver issues, but we can't talk about them here. 

0 Likes

Sure you can.

0 Likes
xkingakumax
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issues I cannot run any of the newer drivers i reinstalled 22.5.1 and it stopped the black screens, then I was forced to install 22.9.1 due to warzone requiring it and so far it hasn't black screened again.

Get these **bleep** black screens fixed ASAP, how can you provide updates that break the GPU's and not extend warranty due to it not working because of your own coders not being able to code properly.

0 Likes

then I was forced to install 22.9.1 due to warzone requiring it and so far it hasn't black screened again.

22.9.1 was quite mediocre version, why did you installed it? It was not even WHQL'd at that point of time. (Frankly it was quite a bad experience for me with this specific version, but experience may differ)
There is WHQL's and recommended 22.11.2 at this point of time. 

0 Likes

from 22.7.1 to 22.11.2 its been very random for me regarding blackscreens even when enabling windowed game optimisations which clearly enables even on apps, i could reproduce blackscreens within 2 minutes while in other cases it took more then 10 minutes to up to 1 to 3 hours so there defiantly more stability in some drivers and less in others, anyway the drivers that fixed MPO flickering and any driver after is the only drivers im intrested in, cos they atleast somewhat fixed MPO issues just not stability yet.

AMD defiantly having a problem right now, feels like some of the drivers are made by driver team A and others by driver team B, both teams should work together build up experience so the problems wont ever come back in the future and hire more talented people to help as well

Also whats up with all the chipset driver updates lately if never seen so many updates as before its usually only every 6 months now its been every 1 to 3 months recently are they fixing something important ?

0 Likes

On a RX 5600XT but I am having no luck with 22.5.1 either.

Reverted and tested the situation where I had the highest occurrence of getting black screen and driver crashing. I do use a dual monitor setup though nothing fancy 2 FHD one 144Hz vrr and one 60Hz fixed.

And yep 30 minutes into testing, on an idle game scene, with high % gpu load, it generated a black screen and crash.

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

people coming here and advertising nvidia and not helping anyone, are just trolls (saying they have nvidia gpu , so what do you think they do on amd forum ? wasting time ? or trying to sell cards with propaganda and spreading lies?)

their is surely something else that is causing your black screen, lot of reason plausible (cables, screen compatibility, psu ...), are you only focusing on gpu or did you try to search other potential reasons ?

from my point of view i install every  driver updates and never have problems , i just ddu between installation, or check "reset to factory default" option ...

what is this MPO thing ? i try to read about it , but seems a bit strange that disabling it solves black screens ... seems a windows thing

from what you describe i would check psu , psu cables, ram configuration , checking temps etc , focusing on gpu can waste a lot of time, but maybe not related at all

0 Likes

Disabling MPO is a solution. It does improve some black screen or flickering issues.

This method is relatively simple.

Indeed, I have experienced problems such as flickering with AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT.

https://youtu.be/uBTVlzscOYE

This issues is in the Known Issues list > https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-11-2

Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.

After I disabled MPO, it doesn't happen anymore.

0 Likes