cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

maxli86
Journeyman III

AMD X Series Chipset Storage Software (AHCI Drivers)

I have been a long time AMD users since Phenom era but I have noticed for Ryzen platform. 
For so long there have been no development on AHCI drivers nor storage application
and I would like to understand why? 
There is a article advising users to use Microsoft in build AHCI drivers. 

However I find it skeptical that there is RAID driver but no AHCI drivers. 
RAID drivers cannot be used in setup with 1 HDD but even with 2 HDD. 
Some are using combination of SSD and HDD so not possible to RAID them 
as the performance are vastly differently. 

I feel that when comes to storage software, AMD is lacking in this area. 
Intel wise there is the Intel rapid storage application, it provides driver and the application
to check and monitor disk drive connected in the system. 

If any HDD is faulty it will prompt on Intel system but on AMD unless you launch third party tool 
or through BIOS than you can check whether the storage connected are faulty. 
I would like to see if a AMD storage application to monitor the disk drive in the near future. 

0 Likes
3 Replies

AMD stopped updating its AHCI driver in 2015. Now AMD says to use Microsoft's own Windows AHCI driver in Windows 10 instead.

Ignore the date of the MS driver - 2006). The AHCI driver is updated each time you upgrade your Windows 10 OS. The version should be the same as the  Windows version installed.

The latest RAID drivers and related software are included with AMD latest CHIPSET Package for your motherboard at AMD Driver Download page.

Concerning using SSD, NVME, HDD  Drives for RAID. From AMD RAID GUIDE which I have attached to this reply for you to download and read if interested:

0 Likes
ishy
Journeyman III

I noticed over the years that AMD seem to lack in their driver release ability. You didn't answer the OP question properly.  He asked why are they letting MICROSOFT do their drivers, where AMD, as a hardware manufacturer, should be doing it themselves. I've noticed if I use the Win7 AHCI, the HOTSWAP works, it doesn't in normal mode, for me anyways, and shows that AMD are lacking. I've noticed they did this in their early USB drivers too.

AMD need to write a new AHCI driver with their own AHCI-mode APP so we can see status on Drive(s), be they HDD, SSD, as I know NvME is a different kettle of fish to get their SMART statistics.

He is trying to get notice, to AMD as a manufacturer, to provide these and not SLACK.  They are currently winning in the Intel vs AMD war for products, but need to get their head out of the sand and get back on track with software & drivers.

The RAID Expert is for RAID, the OP wanted one that works for AHCI normal (with RAID capability).

Regards

David.

0 Likes

OP: "For so long there have been no development on AHCI drivers nor storage application
and I would like to understand why? 
There is a article advising users to use Microsoft in build AHCI drivers. "

I gave the same answer that AMD Moderators have been saying here at AMD Forum concerning AMD AHCI driver. To use Windows 10 own native AHCI driver since AMD stopped making their own in 2015.

OP: "However I find it skeptical that there is RAID driver but no AHCI drivers. 
RAID drivers cannot be used in setup with 1 HDD but even with 2 HDD. 
Some are using combination of SSD and HDD so not possible to RAID them 
as the performance are vastly differently. "

Uploaded a image of RAID Xpert2 showing he can use RAID using various type of Storage devices.

The way I read it the OP mentions that there are RAID drivers ( but that it can't be used for different storage devices) and that there are no AMD AHCI driver.

IF the OP was making a statement then you are correct I misread his post.

But Thanks for letting me know your opinion. I wasn't upset about your reply in case that is the way it looks from my reply.

0 Likes