cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yaktopus
Adept I

AMD Windows OpenGL drivers (seriously, don't buy AMD if you play Minecraft)

Hi community! I have a question about the AMD drivers, especially for OpenGL applications. Recently built a new PC, but kept the GPU, hoping it would perform good enough for the next few months. Now I want to upgrade, as soon as the prices for GPUs drop a little bit.

My specs:

• XFX RX580 8GB

• Ryzen 7 3700X

• 16GB DDR4-RAM @ 3200Mhz

Now Minecraft is pretty much the only game I play at the moment, specifically the Java Edition. And with a PC like that, it's a no brainer to try to run shaders.

However the performance is pretty bad. Often it struggles to get 60FPS, if I cap it to 45, it still gets framedrops so I either have to cap it to 30 for a "smooth" experience or disable shaders completely, which is just sad if you think about how much money I threw at the company.

I did a little research on the topic and it seems like AMD has this issue for a long time, for the last 5 years people complained, made petitions, tried to mod the game to run on Vulkan, etc, but AMD just completely ignores it. Yet the Linux open source OpenGL drivers and the Nvidia OpenGL drivers work like a charm.

Another issue is AMD ReLive, which either just doesn't record Minecraft at all or records a black screen or even crashes the whole system. And performance monitoring doesn't work, either.

I'm sorry if I sound a little angry, but when I build a PC for 1000€, I expect a game from 2009 to run. I had better performance on my old i7 3770 + GTX 560, which is just sad.

So, community;

At this point I would strongly recommend you to NOT buy an AMD GPU, if you plan to play Minecraft. I would even say I would NOT recommend AMD GPUs alltogether until they fix their customer support and actually start to tackle issues that persisted for at least the last 5 years.

Do you think there is a small chance, that AMD will look at this and fix their drivers? Or should I just switch to Nvidia? And does the staff even read this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
0 Replies