cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sonic67
Adept II

AMD Switchable graphics - why some programs are locked?

Jump to solution

I have a laptop with an intel CPU/GPU combo (i7-4810Q) and a Discrete/Hybrid AMD Radeon HD 8790M.

I have installed the latest Radeon Software (20.3.1) and under "Switchable Graphics" I have a few programs that have a "lock" on them. See attached. I am interested especially in PDR.exe to be associated with the "High Performance" GPU. It is a video editing software that cannot use the AMD hardware.

Can anyone explain why is that locked?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
colesdav
MVP

Re: AMD Switchable graphics - why some programs are locked?

Jump to solution

Have you seen this video - it is for an Nvidia GPU where Nvidia Control Panel is unable to make Cyberlink Power Director use the Discrete Laptop Graphics either.

Make CyberLink PowerDirector use dedicated graphics card - YouTube 

It looks like you have to use the following setttings on your laptop:
Display Settings -> Graphics Settings and choose which GPU the application should run on.
Since I have a desktop PC with multiple GPUs attached - it is selecting the two RX Vega (64 & 56 in this case) that I have attached. I also have an R9 390X and an Nvidia RTX2080 OC connected so i will have to work out how to set a low power and a high power GPU in that case.

Here is what I see.

pastedImage_2.png

Maybe you have already tried this solution out.

Bye.

View solution in original post

25 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

I know nothing about PDR, but if it is a OGL application, laptops will use the integrated graphics by default.

Here is a old post from HP...all laptops are the same:

HP Notebook PCs - OpenGL Applications Cannot Use Discrete GPU with Intel + AMD Switchable Graphics |... 

sonic67
Adept II

Jump to solution

It has an OpenCL option... that can be deactivated. No OpenGL though.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

You should ask the laptop manufacturer..use their support venue.

Edit: You can try disabling the on-board/integrated/switchable graphics and force the laptop to use the discrete graphics...this is done in the bios. The HP article describes the process.

Check for a bios update from the manufacturer.

sonic67
Adept II

Jump to solution

There isn't such an option in BIOS. Probably there isn't the actual hardware like on the HP laptops that you quote.

My laptop it's a Dell Latitude E6540.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution
sonic67
Adept II

Jump to solution

Yes,I have installed the latest one from Dec 2019.

Also I am confused what that missing OpenGL API is, because supposedly I have OpenGL installed:

amd5.PNG

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Notice the absence of OGL on the discrete card you posted. This is something laptop manufacturers decide....

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hello.

Do you know what the PDR.exe executable is?

A quick search seems to indicate it is most likely CyberLink Power Director version 15 executable.

Is that software installed on your laptop?

If that is correct then exit the software / kill it first.

Then try mouse Right Click on the launch Icon for the program and select "Run as Administrator".

Then open AMD Radeon  Settings and go to "Switchable Graphics" options and see if it is unlocked.

Bye.

0 Likes
sonic67
Adept II

Jump to solution

It is Power Director version 18 (current one). It won't have available the encoding hardware acceleration available for this card.