Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Parkas
Journeyman III

AMD Support for Windows 8 versions

Hello,

I've been coming here every once in a while to check for driver updates on my R9-380. At the time I bought the card it was a somewhat expensive card. However I realise that support for all Windows-8 driven systems for AMD Radeon products seems to have stopped a while ago, while Windows 7 systems still get updates. This is utterly confusing to say the least - especially since there's no word of explanation to be found anywhere (at least I couldn't find any and I have looked more than a bit).

So I am turning my attention here in the hope of receiving a word of explanation what caused the support for Windows 8 to stop. Obviously even outdated systems as Windows 7 are still supported - so what's wrong with Windows 8 (in regard to AMD Graphics driver support, not in general).

Thanks for any insight!

Carsten.

0 Likes
6 Replies

AMD Dropped support for Windows 8.1 in the 17.7.2 "Pre-Vega" launch driver: 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-7-2

Despite the OS being shown as supported on their GPU specifications, boxes, etc. 
They just dropped it. 
I know of people who bought RX580 and found no Windows 8.1 drivers could be used. 

Last optional driver supporting Windows 8.1 was: 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-7-1

Last WHQL Windows 8.1 Driver was: 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-4-4

You used to be able to install Adrenalin 19.12.1 Windows 7 drivers on Windows 8.1 64 bit OS. 
The new Adrenalin 2020 Windows 7 driver would not install at all. 

If you search this forum I think I saw that someone managed to hack some Adrenalin 2020 drivers onto Windows 8.1.
I still run Windows 8.1 64bit as my main Windows OS. 
But I simply stuck to running Adrenalin 19.12.1 Windows 7 drivers on it.

I think AMD reason was "can't be bothered, too much effort".

0 Likes

Yes this has been a real point of contention with me. I don't use the OS but that box says support and the Fact that you know from day one when Microsoft is ending support then AMD should have supported it as long as Microsoft does. 

I have always thought that is bad. However it is hardly the only time AMD has abruptly decided to end support for products that defy logic as to why. Especially when Windows 8.1 isn't radically different and share more in common with Win 10 anyway. 

Bottom line is that AMD lied, they didn't honor their commitment. At least I can't see it any other way. 

0 Likes

When Microsoft dropped mainstream support(as of Jan 9 2018), Amd dropped it as well,no use wasting resources on it ,

What is the Lifecycle Policy for Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. With the general availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 had until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 to remain supported.

0 Likes

It should be supported until end of Extended Support, just like Windows 7 was. 
Nvidia do it.

Typically they should be supported for as long as it is in support from MS. Basically as long as it gets security updates. 
The fact that they still release drivers for Win 7 that is now 10.5 months out of any support means they certainly can but choose not to. 

0 Likes

Correct. 

They claim Windows 8.1 User base is too low. 
How do they know for real. 

Remember GWX was a forced, sneaky, disgraceful update. 
It was forced on many users machines w/o their prior consent or knowledge. 

It also quickly deleted the Windows 8.1. data that gave the option to roll back so you ended up stuck on an untested W10 OS.
Microsoft literally tested W10 on Consumers PC and Laptop "in the field" with no consequences to them. 
Users on the other hand have suffered lost productivity, down time, and earnings since 

I know many people with bricked laptops and PC hard drive OS installations to this day. 
That should be taken as a serious warning to anyone these days considering anything to do with Microsoft or Bill Gates.
They do not care about anything other than cutting costs and making a fat profit.

0 Likes