cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

epsilons
Adept III

AMD StoreMI : My PC wont shutdown and wont reboot until I uninstall StoreMI, what give?

So long story short,

I bought a second SSD that I received today. I planned to use it as a StoreMI drive to boost my 2TB SSHD drive speed (which I only use to install games).

Unfortunatly, as soon as I install AMD StoreMI, when I try to reboot my PC, the monitor will eventually go off, but the PC remain ON indefinitly for whatever reason, thus never completing the reboot.

Basically, when I reboot, the monitor will go out but the PC will get "stuck" in an ON state without completing the reboot.

I have the exact same issue if I try to shutdown my PC, the monitor will go off, but the PC remain ON.

I waited a good 5 minutes and the PC never performed a full reboot nor did he shutdown completly.

I have to hold down the POWER button on the case for 5+ seconds to shutdown nor reboot my PC when AMD StoreMI is installed.

I also noticed that my "Samsung Magican" app stopped working as soon as I installed "AMD StoreMI". I have the following error message when I launch Samsung Magician :

Compatibility Issue

DRIVER | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 9.4.0.17

Recommendation: Use Microsoft or Samsung NVMe driver.

So, is StoreMI bad and I need to return my SSD and get a refund? Or is their something I can try to fix this extremely annoying bug?

Side note : Uninstalling AMD StoreMI does fix all the problems/bug and my system immediatly begin to behave correctly when rebooting/shutting down.

Here's my full PC specfications :

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ SE RX 5700 XT
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (BIOS 2816)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3800 MHz CL16
SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (Operating System)
SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (AMD StoreMI)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Documents)
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Games)
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Videos)
PSU: Corsair AX850 Titanium Certified (Fully Modular)
CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
CPU Fan: Noctua NF-A15 chromax.black (x2)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A chromax.black (x6)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 chromax.black (x1)
Computer Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PH-ES515ETG_AG

0 Likes
1 Solution

I had the same problem with StoreMI 2. I figured out, that StoreMI needs a pagefile. I configured windows to not use a pagefile as I have 64GB RAM, so I thought I wouldn't need it (and I never had memory issues), but since I used StoreMI I was not able to shutdown or reboot my PC. After enableing a pagefile again, everything works perfectly.

Probably the pagefile should better not be on a drive that is cached with StoreMI (but I did not try to look, if this will cause trouble...)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
epsilons
Adept III

My post was automatically flagged as "spam" by the community bot, so i'm bumping it once to get more view and hopefully someone can reply and help me with this.
0 Likes

While trying to find the root of the shutdown/reboot issue with AMD StoreMI installed, I discovered that enabling "Hibernation" and thus at the same time enabling "Fast Startup" in the Power Options resolve the Shutdown issue entirely. Albeit, the computer takes a good 5 seconds longer than usual to shutdown, he did eventually shutdown on it's own, without me holding down the power button to force the shutdown.

Unfortunaly, this does not fix the Reboot issue, which remain unchanged. The monitor will eventually go off, but the PC remain ON indefinitly for whatever reason, thus never completing the reboot. Basically, the reboot get stuck" in an ON state without ever completing the reboot even with hibernation/fast statup activated.

A small step in the right direction I guess.
Atleast I can shutdown my PC normally now.

Anyone has any idea what might be causing this problem with AMD StoreMI?
Is my CPU "too-new" and not properly supported yet by the StoreMI driver/software (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Zen 3) ?

0 Likes

I had the same problem with StoreMI 2. I figured out, that StoreMI needs a pagefile. I configured windows to not use a pagefile as I have 64GB RAM, so I thought I wouldn't need it (and I never had memory issues), but since I used StoreMI I was not able to shutdown or reboot my PC. After enableing a pagefile again, everything works perfectly.

Probably the pagefile should better not be on a drive that is cached with StoreMI (but I did not try to look, if this will cause trouble...)

@lumen wrote:

I had the same problem with StoreMI. I figured out, that StoreMI needs a pagefile. I configured windows to not use a pagefile as I have 64GB RAM, so I thought I wouldn't need it (and I never had memory issues), but since I used StoreMI I was not able to shutdown or reboot my PC. After enableing a pagefile again, everything works perfectly.

And just like that, out of nowhere, you solved my AMD StoreMI issue. You sir, deserve a medal. I too always configured windows to not use a pagefile as I have 32GB RAM (never had memory issues). 

Heroes does not always wear cape.

0 Likes
k423
Journeyman III

Helpless, tried a lot of ways, but still can't