cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

scratch1010
Adept I

Amd Storemi Can't convert TierDrive to separate Drives (Convert to reserve failed, unable to shrink Volume)

Ryzen 3 2200g

Msi B450m Pro-Vdh

8gb G.Skill Ripjaws V ddr4 2666

Western Digital 1TB HDD

Corsair Force MP300

I'm trying to untier my drives by using "remove fast media" but It won't let me. It says "convert to reserve failed, unable to shrink volume." I tried manually shrinking to the cap and it still didn't worked. I don't know if I needed to to remove 2gb of meta data from the C: drive but I don't know how and I don't know what to do anymore. Please Help!

I press "Remove fast media" which allows to separate the SSD from the HDD.

Annotation 2019-01-10 172500.jpg

Then I pressed "Remove" which removes the Boot Drive so it separates the SSD or the "Fast" Drive.

Annotation 2019-01-08 232725.jpg

Next, I pressed "Yes" which is suppose to migrate the 89372 MB to the slow tier.

Annotation 2019-01-08 232808.jpg

But then it failed and I get this message "Convert to reserve failed, unable to shrink volume".

Annotation 2019-01-08 232839.jpg

This' the reason why I can't convert and separate my two drives. I've even manual tried shrinking the C: Drive (The AMD Bootable drive) but it still didn't worked.

Annotation 2019-01-10 173608.jpg

I've also added my disk management picture and my custom settings if it's needed.

Annotation 2019-01-10 172207.jpgAnnotation 2019-01-10 172533.jpgAnnotation 2019-01-10 174212.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
scratch1010
Adept I

Nvm. I solved the issue. If you're reading this post if you have the same issue. All you need to do is manually shrink the volume to the size of your ssd or the fast drive plus 2gb for extra padding. If the shrink option in disk management is not possible because the shrink cap isn't large enough. Download Minitool Partition Wizard that enmotus recommended and use it. Shrink the C: Drive so that there's unallocated or free space the size of your ssd plus 2gb. Apply those settings and restart the computer right now. You'll see a different screen but that's okay because it's doing its thing. Now, if you boot up windows next time. You'll see the unallocated space the size that you wanted to be at. Then press "Remove Fast Media" and it should work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scratch1010
Adept I

Nvm. I solved the issue. If you're reading this post if you have the same issue. All you need to do is manually shrink the volume to the size of your ssd or the fast drive plus 2gb for extra padding. If the shrink option in disk management is not possible because the shrink cap isn't large enough. Download Minitool Partition Wizard that enmotus recommended and use it. Shrink the C: Drive so that there's unallocated or free space the size of your ssd plus 2gb. Apply those settings and restart the computer right now. You'll see a different screen but that's okay because it's doing its thing. Now, if you boot up windows next time. You'll see the unallocated space the size that you wanted to be at. Then press "Remove Fast Media" and it should work.

pvt_duckling
Adept I

Alright, I'm blaming you if this bricks my Windows, but it takes 9 minutes for me to boot into Windows (it won't accelerate anything for me for some reason) so I don't have much of a choice.

0 Likes
fkoops
Journeyman III

I also got the "Convert to reserve failed, unable to shrink volume" error when I tried to move all the data to the slow drive and I found this thread via Google by searching the error.

Your tip to shrink the C: volume helped, thanks!

Strange that the StoreMI User Guidehttps://www.amd.com/system/files/2018-04/AMD-StoreMI-Users-Guide.pdf could not explain that clearly to me.

0 Likes