Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caretaker
Elite

AMD Sofware does not open on my system when launched

Hello normal users and maybe devs,

Its 2022 and this issue still exists, and i have no idea why:

Using windows freshly installed less then a month ago with full wipe, the reason why its freshly installed is because the famous bug that makes the Radeon software to not launch gave me to many problems.

As of now after a fresh build of windows with all updates to date Radeon software decided not to start again, because why not.....after windows or something decided to update something in the back that made the os boot to the welcome screen setup. After that no display driver was found, so the logical solution was to reinstall the same driver or newer ones. No luck in getting Radeon Software to open.

Things that i have tried were:

- Try different driver versions with a complete DDU in safemode between each try;   - No luck with every version up until 21.9.xx;

- The roll back solution; - No luck since there was no previous driver and also after DDU no previous drivers remain;

- Registry solution changing the CN-display version to 0 or match the one reported in device manager; -No luck

- Delete the AppData local CN file solution found online; - No luck;

- Registry clean and then DDU and then recent driver install; - No luck;

Current state is that all drivers install successfully, none of them open up Radeon software.

Why is this important? Let me explain:

Since the fresh install of windows i have installed my printer and an architectural software called Archicad. Everything worked flawless until the bug happened again. The software i use requires some shortcuts that are key to the workflow, that happen to be most of the ones enabled by default in Radeon ReLive something, that can be disabled "IF YOU CAN GET THE APP OPENED". For a week now i'm working like this, can't copy, mirror, move or rotate elements using shortcuts and have to go to edit actions (move, copy, rotate, mirror etc.), you can imagine the awsome workflow i'm having. 

I don't mine, game or run hacks on my macchine and my RX580 is older but perfect for my use, also this bug happens even on newer hardware, and what bothers me is that the only ones looking into this issue is this wonderful community and other users on other forums platforms etc. What bothers me even more is that there is no real solution given by AMD other then useless tickets and reinstall using DDU only to have the bug happen again and again for me and other users. 

THIS BUG IS YEARS OLD AND IS NOT BEING MANAGED OFFICIALY,

I REFUSE TO THINK THAT A COMPANY ISSUING FSR 2.0 ULTRA UPSCALE TECH, CLUSTER CPU-S AND ENHANCED SYNC AND MANY MORE TECH, BUT FAIL TO CREATE AN APP THAT OPENS!!

While i am sure many users will try to offer some solutions as this community is known for, its absurd that this is left to the users and no officials are actively looking into this stupid, retarded bug. 

I cannot reinstall windows montly and try every driver version in hope one works everytime windows or radeon software decides to update something in the background.

1 Solution

Actually this is a peer to peer help forum, no AMD does not monitor these forums.

If that happened to me I'd reinstall windows, AMD can't fix a bad windows update...I doubt Microsoft can either.

View solution in original post

124 Replies
caretaker
Elite

BUMP

0 Likes
ssawgift
Adept III

Same issue here. Sometimes launching it from tray icon just won't work. Sometimes I have to wait some time and then I can launch it.

ssawgift
Adept III

I forgot to mention that this always happens after a new version is installed.

0 Likes

yes the same thing happens with me I have given up on installing new updates when they come out I wait a while before doing so I cause normally it messes up an I hate having to fix their mistakes.

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
ssawgift
Adept III

Guys, try the new 22.11.1 release. It's quite stable and some known nuisances (including this one) are gone. Trust me, give it a try!

0 Likes

No, there is no change, unless you reinstall windows amd software will never open

So once in a while if you need GPU updates, just reinstall windows

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes

At least try to find culprit. As this is some definitely not common situation, there must be some software conflict that causes it to happen.
Like for me, when i couldn't start recording via ReLive ---> Culprit was Microsoft Defender "Controlled folder access", for example.

1) You hadn't wrote system specs. Except GPU.
Few people you pointed as "having similar issues" resolved them by installing drivers for their Intel iGPU drivers BEFORE installing AMD ones (through device manager).
If it is a laptop, you probably may need specific drivers from manufacturer, and not global ones.

2) From error report you sent. "Fault Module Name: mfc120u.dll" corresponds to Visual C++ Redistrbutable package. Maybe it corrupts somehow? Or something overwrites it to older version?

3) Code error c000005 = Memory access violation. Definitely either some instability going on, or straight up software conflict for RAM page allocation.

4) If you have issues with overlapping hotkeys, you still can do driver only installation. This way there will be no Adrenalin, and no hotkeys for it.

5) And on side of software conflicts. There are dozens of millions of different configuration. And even with hardware only issues, number of combinations and potentially faulty elements is immesurable. Now add here bunch of software, that is written by different companies, which can easily conflict with each other. I have good example. I have 2 games, Black Desert Online and Total War: Warhammer II. Both of them works fine. But if i launch both of them at the same time, i will catch BSOD in about 5-15 minutes. And these are just two f***ing games. Imagine testing every possible software conflict? That's why everything can happen in realm of programming.

And devs don't have time to search for some obscure issue without knowing how to recreate it with guarantees. It will just be waste of their time.

--------------------------
Try installing split system with cleaner application roaster and check if bug will appear there?
Try to check after which actions bug appears?

Thanks for the reply, belive me i did try to my last ideea, thats why i created this thread. Issue is still present by the way.

If i reinstall wondows then every thing is perfect including all drivers. So its not a compatibility issue.

1) Fair enough i have a ryzen 1700 CPU, RX580 GPU (4 gb sadlly), 32 gb of RAM-dual 16 kit, no overclock, undervolt or any tweak at any parts. As i said the setup after a fresh install with drivers latest and windows updates works perfect. Even after i install 2 CAD softwares that i use tho most it runs fine, no issues, no failed driver or software to open. After a random windows update everything breaks, with no change from my part. So the problem is ok as long as i dont upgrade windows and gpu driver? that's not respectable considering that it happens even on newer hardware not my aged setup. 

2. no ideea what that is, i have no error popping up

3. same response

4. That would be fine if the current 2 year old version of the driver that works, would support such features

5. i agree however i do not have a particular reason why this happens, others may have a culprit. My case is just that randomly without changing anything one day it decides to stop working, and i asume that its because of AMD allowing windows background driver updates to happen even if i disable that feature using multiple hacks.

Even as i am typing once a month i have to manually roll back drivers, with every hack to stop updates applied.

Also its absurd that windows updates AMD drivers and they break  

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

Bumpy bump bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

Bumpy road

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump into the new year

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
CN50
Adept III

Bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

Bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

Bump

0 Likes

I had already this problem several times when using  RX 5500 . I dont remember well but i think i désinstalled and reinstalled, or reinstalled an OLD driver version that worked waiting for another version to reinstall properly . Windows can be the problem too i think ( for me too ) .

caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
compaholic
Adept II

I'm having the same exact problem for the past 2 versions.  23.2.1 and 23.2.2 are really bad.  Previously the 22.12.2 drivers it opened all the time.  Now I'm lucky if I can get it to open 20% of the time. It shows the icon in the systray but utterly refuses to open. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, DDU.  Opening task manager ending AMD tasks, reloading it a few hundred thousand times seems to do the trick.  AMD fix this already!

caretaker
Elite

Bump bump

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

happen to me too, but rarely. As long as the games works normal, for me already fine. So, install the game, play it, done. No need to go to adrenalin software to change this or that... lol.

This is AMD, so i prefer use default configuration AMD provides. Too much change settings that disabled default by AMD will like crash the system. Except for undervolt, the undervolt really do a trick on my MSI 6600XT not too make noisy fan.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
ssawgift
Adept III

I am not sure if my experience is the same for all of you. I have WHQL 23.3.1 installed and when I try to launch the software from systray icon, the main window almost appears instantly (less than half a second). This is *much* better than older versions. It seems the devs at AMD did hear us and at least tried to improve this specific situation. 

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump it

0 Likes

I built a new media pc a couple weeks ago and installed windows 10, then the drivers for an rx 590, the same thing happened to me I had to find the control panel exe. and pin it to my tool bar.

It turned out windows needed a couple updates before Radeon control panel could start on it's own, now it works perfect.

No idea if this helps in someway but i hope so.

caretaker
Elite

thanks, it did not work but, i appreciate the feedfback

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
compaholic
Adept II

Oddly enough, I found that my Windows 10 build number was older running 19043.x which I believe is 21H1.  Going to windows updates in Windows does not do anything to upgrade this because it will just try to find the latest updates for your service channel number.  I instead went to Microsoft's website and downloaded the Windows Update Assist app.  This forced my OS to upgrade to the latest version 22H2, build number 19045.x.  After I did this, the issues with the AMD Adrenalin not loading went away.  Even on the latest Adrenalin 23.4.3 is still running strong.  Must have been something with the older build/channel version of windows that was causing issues.

caretaker
Elite

Im glad it hellped, its a good addition to the long list of hacks users do.

No such luck on my part, still the same issue on the above mentioned windows version.

Bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes

Honestly I think you are wasting your time waiting for Amd to fix your issue, it has to be something on your end or this message board would be full of complaints.

I've had issues over the years with .net framework becoming corrupt and had to manually search out and reinstall it to fix strange problems.

That's just a guess, it can literally be anything you have installed or a corrupt registry but nobody else has this problem or at least very few so I'd start looking elsewhere if it was me.

Just a suggestion good luck.