Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caretaker
Elite

AMD Sofware does not open on my system when launched

Hello normal users and maybe devs,

Its 2022 and this issue still exists, and i have no idea why:

Using windows freshly installed less then a month ago with full wipe, the reason why its freshly installed is because the famous bug that makes the Radeon software to not launch gave me to many problems.

As of now after a fresh build of windows with all updates to date Radeon software decided not to start again, because why not.....after windows or something decided to update something in the back that made the os boot to the welcome screen setup. After that no display driver was found, so the logical solution was to reinstall the same driver or newer ones. No luck in getting Radeon Software to open.

Things that i have tried were:

- Try different driver versions with a complete DDU in safemode between each try;   - No luck with every version up until 21.9.xx;

- The roll back solution; - No luck since there was no previous driver and also after DDU no previous drivers remain;

- Registry solution changing the CN-display version to 0 or match the one reported in device manager; -No luck

- Delete the AppData local CN file solution found online; - No luck;

- Registry clean and then DDU and then recent driver install; - No luck;

Current state is that all drivers install successfully, none of them open up Radeon software.

Why is this important? Let me explain:

Since the fresh install of windows i have installed my printer and an architectural software called Archicad. Everything worked flawless until the bug happened again. The software i use requires some shortcuts that are key to the workflow, that happen to be most of the ones enabled by default in Radeon ReLive something, that can be disabled "IF YOU CAN GET THE APP OPENED". For a week now i'm working like this, can't copy, mirror, move or rotate elements using shortcuts and have to go to edit actions (move, copy, rotate, mirror etc.), you can imagine the awsome workflow i'm having. 

I don't mine, game or run hacks on my macchine and my RX580 is older but perfect for my use, also this bug happens even on newer hardware, and what bothers me is that the only ones looking into this issue is this wonderful community and other users on other forums platforms etc. What bothers me even more is that there is no real solution given by AMD other then useless tickets and reinstall using DDU only to have the bug happen again and again for me and other users. 

THIS BUG IS YEARS OLD AND IS NOT BEING MANAGED OFFICIALY,

I REFUSE TO THINK THAT A COMPANY ISSUING FSR 2.0 ULTRA UPSCALE TECH, CLUSTER CPU-S AND ENHANCED SYNC AND MANY MORE TECH, BUT FAIL TO CREATE AN APP THAT OPENS!!

While i am sure many users will try to offer some solutions as this community is known for, its absurd that this is left to the users and no officials are actively looking into this stupid, retarded bug. 

I cannot reinstall windows montly and try every driver version in hope one works everytime windows or radeon software decides to update something in the background.

1 Solution

Actually this is a peer to peer help forum, no AMD does not monitor these forums.

If that happened to me I'd reinstall windows, AMD can't fix a bad windows update...I doubt Microsoft can either.

View solution in original post

124 Replies

I suspect that you may have another program trying to take over its functions. This is what was happening to me. Do you have any other programs like IQUE, MSI, A MB takeover, (Asus is great for sconching things in windows), or an app, specific to your graphic card brand? One of my issues was from my Sapphire card and Trixx!

I also use a decent program, (free) called Glary Utilities that can help turn off some of these applications before booting into windows. It also does a clean-up for your PC and esp the registry. Finally, look into your History Reliability Report and see if there is anything going on there that might point you in the right direction. It's really strange though that you can make things function with an older driver.

Stuff like this can be very fwustwating, to be sure!

as i mentioned in the first post after a clean install of windows and installing 2 programs i daily use (nothing more, no antivirus, tools and games or services, no office apps, mining apps, tweaking os apps etc.), the system worked fine for about a month and after that with no driver update from my part the radeon software refused to open. No roll back option available, and clean ddu did nothing, as of now i use a version of radeon software that works from september 2021 i think.

Since then with no change form my part it happened again with the working driver, windows updated or something broke the driver reset everything. As for my luck a roll back was available now, no official devs response, thats why ........

Bump Bump Bump

Bump Bump Bump

Bump Bump Bump

At this point is more of a meme for me rather then expect a response on the matter. 

0 Likes

No I do not  I only use what came  with my system why add more.

It was manufactured by MSI, but AMD still owns the patent on the card. They are obligated to make sure their software is in full working order for the cards they own.

laynerocks1
Adept I

I also want to add - I see that the AMD software icon appears in the hidden icons tray and will even appear multiple times. I just opened it and saw about 30 instances of the icon for some reason but they all disappeared when I moved the cursor over one of them. Very strange.

bump

0 Likes

I've noticed the same, but I don't remember since when. I did nothing because since it happens the system, apparently, run normal

bumpy bump

The bumpy post

0 Likes

Have you tried a different launcher such as; Steam, GOG, Epic, Uplay, origin, etc? If those work you may need to reinstall one of them. Depending on which game you are trying to play, if one of those isn't working it might be the cause. I remember that when my AMD Gaming App failed to launch on my system it was due to my Steam account not being initialized through the AMD App.

0 Likes

thank you for the reply, however i do not play games, and i have no launcher installed on my device. Even if i had the issue would have been lauchers worked perfectly and one day every launcher works except the AMD one, thanks to some windows glich update etc.

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes

Not criticizing and I apologize, but I'm trying to understand? If you don't use the AMD launcher to launch games, why are you posting that it's not launching if you don't use it as such? What are you trying to accomplish through the launcher/software? Or should I add, exactly which AMD software isn't opening?

0 Likes

Yep, we don't know what exactly his prob. is, the goal post kept moving  in his earlier posts (and his links were to various other issues).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

hi, reading the original post would give some light on the matter, 

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2019-11/DH2-003-01.PNG

This is the radeon software i`m trying to open. As i said in previous post i dont play games on mt setup, so epic store, steam, orion and other launchers are not installed and i have no use for them. I use my PC for CAD work and by default the most used shortcuts in CAD softwares are the same as the ones used and enabled by default in Radeon software for opening overlays, recording, radeon chill etc. 

If i can get radeon software to open i can turn the shortcut overlays off, but radeon software doesnt open, also running a simulation on my PC would help to set the GPU drivers to compute rather then graphincs, still cant do that because of the issue.

My links show that the issue is so old at this point its not even funny, its sad.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No thanks to AMD reps or devs that never reply.

0 Likes

Bump

0 Likes

@caretakers

have you tried rolling back your drivers back to ones that worked in the past?

0 Likes

@CN50 Original post still hasn't been read I see, there is no rollback available since it was a fresh build of Windows, no previous drivers were available

Thanks for the reply

0 Likes

@caretaker 

sorry I must have missed the no roll back.

what version of Archicad do you use because there is a lot of issues with software using the wrong type graphics cards.

I know this because when my brother had to use his autocad for work they had many problems with the type of graphics card.

0 Likes

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/need-help-with-archicad-20-graphic-settings/td-p/15379...

Check this post out maybe there is something here that could help you?

0 Likes

@CN50 AMD drivers work, they have allways worked, but one day due to windows updates or user updates they still work but the drivers control radeon interface wont, after that the hunt for hacks begins: roll backs, changing driver files, deleting application files form various hidden user data locations, bla bla bla bla. Some get lucky some don't and the hunt continues untill the user reinstalls the OS with full wipe, like me, only to have the issue happen again after a month with nothing but 2 applications installed and running perfectlly. 

Time and time again kind users such as yourself donated time to help the person in need. NO AMD devs or reps have even bat an eye on this decade old issue.

0 Likes

@caretaker 

Yes I understand your frustrations trail and error is like your only options in these cases when you can't get and answer I wish you best of luck in your future with this issues.

Just a thought, and it's not a great solution, but maybe it's a kludge that would help. I'd expect the settings app will just be changing values in the registry. So it'd be possible to manually change those values in the registry using regedit or scripts or even knocking up a tool in VB to change those registry entries.

If you know the settings that need changing (best way would be to try on another PC with a similar setup) you could use something like Primo and Regshot to adjust settings in Adrenaline and work out what the registry changes are for each setting you need to change. Then you could manually apply those settings to the registry on your PC.

Not an elegant solution but it should work. At least until a better solution is discovered.

edit: You could also use ProcessMonitor or even just turn on Auditing in the registry and look up the changes in the event viewer if you'd prefer not to use 3rd party tools.

0 Likes

Disable Hotkeys registry value found using procmonDisable Hotkeys registry value found using procmon

Changing the value in regeditChanging the value in regedit

First pic show procmon running with a filter (the first two lines are the filters I added to limit to just AMD registry changes). You can see the two lines that relate to turning hotkeys on and off pretty easily (the rest is related to moving the AMD settings window, changing tabs on it and so on).

The second pic shows where you'd find the key to change in regedit. If you change the value to 1 then hotkeys will be disabled. Changing it to 0 (zero) enables it. If you can identify other settings you want to change it's possible to work out the values this way and you can then edit the registry manually as a workaround.

If for some reason you want to change these values on a regular basis you can export the key(s) to .reg files and just run them to change them without having to open regedit and do it manually. More info on that here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-add-modify-or-delete-registry-subkeys-and-values-by...

Hope that helps.

edit: Sorry forgot to add, make sure you use caution when editing the registry. Changing the AMD hotkeys value shouldn't be a problem, but changing or deleting the wrong settings can totally hose you PC to the point you're reinstalling Windows.

Interesting take, however disableing the hotkey in registry doesn`t restore functionality in other apps, it just doesn`t do anything anymore.

Restored from backup. Also no point in updating the drivers if at one point you wouldn't be interested in tring FSR 2.1 or playing with some settings in the drivers

0 Likes

I thought your biggest problem was that AMD hijacked hotkeys that you need for your CAD software and you couldn't open the AMD settings to disable that. If you disable AMD's hotkey hooks your CAD software hotkeys should work just fine. Unless of course you've remapped them in the CAD software to something else.

caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes

When this happens, have you checked Device Manager / Display ? Is it showing AMD or Microsoft drivers?

If Windows Update is installing / changing drivers...you can prevent that from happening with a Group Policy setting.

This does not effect the security, quality, patch, or any other type update...they are presented as normal.

In short...you don't have to worry about WU installing (changing) AMD graphics drivers.

Type gpedit in the search bar...follow > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

kingfish_0-1661376479566.png

On the right side scroll to Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy and double click it. Select the ENABLED option.

kingfish_1-1661376479729.png

Click 'Apply' then OK.

Reboot your computer.

Install the AMD driver of your choice

Thanks for the reply and the time spend on it, however this hack is enabled on my device and once in a while windows still updates everything, and i have to roll back the driver. 

As of now i'm stuck at version 21.8.2 anything higher then that with or without windows gpedit tweak and with or without DDU from Safe mode, and the radeon GUI app doesn't open

0 Likes

I've got to say that sounds weird. I've had driver updates turned off for awhile now and I've never seen them randomly turn back on. The only time my video drivers update is when I do it manually. That said, I'm running Windows 10 Pro, so other versions may function differently.

I have had windows updates turn themselves back on before, after having them turned off something with certain updates from windows I have found that it will magically be turned back on by microsoft windows updates.

I have watched video's about this happening  this that why now with each major windows update I check to make sure that it's still turn off so I do the driver updates and not windows 10.

Thats just part of the issue, you can roll back the driver once they update, however being stuck on a random driver version for each user that has this issue is even more stupid.

The biggest issue is with AMD not windows forcefully updating drivers. The fact that the app doesn't open even after a DDU using amd tool or the updated one on the web, and the fact that no response on the matter has been released, is a much bigger stupidity.

bump

Windows Home or Windows Pro?...
From my experience Windows Home can really limit your experience with GPEdit. Tried to disable Defender for my mom's new notebook. Well, it just ignores method (GPEdit + one toggle in Defender itself), that works for me on my Windows Pro. 

0 Likes

I was stuck on 22.5.1 for months decided to update the software and it broke. The software was missing after update I had to re-installled an old copy which I had on a USB drive, cause the newest version would just crash on me then windows gave me a notice to update the drivers. I did this and  everything seemed to be working till I had to restart my system again and the software would not open.

I ended up going into the driver area once again and click on the app (software is not compatible with the drivers) that windows installed and after that everything was working again no issues but as of  now  some how I'm now on 22.8.2 without any issues. 

This software can be a complete pain in the A**. 

Thanks for reporting this and the time spend on it, the only time i face the error is when i update the drivers manually.

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

bump

0 Likes
caretaker
Elite

Bump