cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

KT1
Adept I

AMD Software Not Compatible

To begin I know this error message is due to Windows installing AMD drivers.

However, there is an additional problem.  I did the factory reset.  Windows reinstalled their AMD driver over Adrenalin's.  I used Revo Uninstaller and wiped every Radeon reference from my hard drive and registry.  I was then able to manually have Windows use their basic video driver.  After a restart, I then installed Radeon 10.2 since I have been having some issues with the 11.2 drivers.  Windows, within a couple hours with no update, reinstalled their AMD drivers.  I'm guessing it's because their driver version is more up to date than 10.2.  However, it's complete crap.  Microsoft may be licensed to use AMD drivers, but AMD needs to keep them limited to being optional.  They were until a few months back where they were included with the regular windows update, taking my choice of using Adrenalin away, apparently.

I'm almost to the point of switching to and Nvidia card due to this crap.  Shame when I just purchased the 6800XT a year ago, but I won't be having this unnecessary headache.

Completely unsat for AMD to allow Microsoft to have more control over their drivers than AMD does.

0 Likes
5 Replies

If you did stop Windows Update from installing drivers than it should install any drivers at all unless you give it permission to do so.

At Eleven Forums it show 2 ways to completely stop Windows Updates for drivers including Registry change for Windows Home editions: elevenforum- enable-or-disable-include-drivers-with-windows-updates-in-windows-11.2232/ 

Maybe you didn't do it correctly or used the wrong method. Verify your method with the above link.

ThreeDee
Paragon

I run a 5700xt, 6700xt, 6800 in my wife's, daughter's and my setups under Windows 11 (5800x,5900x X 2) and don't have any issue's on all 3 setups

Listing your full hardware specs would be helpful 

Things that might help .. might not, but good to do regardless

Update your motherboard's BIOS

Install latest chipset drivers from either AMD.com or Intel.com .. depending on what you are running

Do a CLEAN install of Windows

https://rtech.support/docs/installations/install-10.html

Use the group policy editor to disable automatic driver updates

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-automatic-hardware-driver-updates-on-windows-10/#:~:text=St....

Run the program called DDU to remove all traces of AMD GPU drivers as well as past Nvidia drivers IF you  ran an Nvidia GPU on this install of Windows .. reboot and THEN install latest drivers from AMD.com

ThreeDee PC specs

Used the group policy.  Thank you for the suggetion.

All the other have been done except a fresh install of windows.  I'm planning on doing that in the near future when I install a new cpu.

kornja510
Journeyman III

I had the same problem last week (6700 XT, Win10 Pro, Intel 12400 CPU).  As the two above have said, disabling automatic driver updates by Windows as described via those links solved the problem.

I doubt you need to update BIOS, reinstall Windows/chipset drivers, so I wouldn't start there.

But as ThreeDee said, you should run DDU (in safe mode) to scrub the existing GPU drivers before trying to reinstall.  I manually uninstalled the Adrenalin software from the "Apps & Features" settings/control panel first, and then also ran the AMD cleanup utility before running DDU.  I'm not sure you necessarily need to do all three - I just wanted to make sure I got rid of as many residual files/settings as possible before reinstalling the desired driver set.  Otherwise you may have conflicts between the driver version and Adrenalin software versions.

Since then, I've been running on 22.5.1 with no problems.

0 Likes
KT1
Adept I

I have had automatic driver updates disabled for two years.  The Windows AMD drivers don't show in that list since a couple months ago when they bundled it in with the regular windows update.  My Bios, chipset drivers, and all of that are kept up-to-date; I'm a bit **bleep** about all the drivers, but I do slack on Bios updates every now and again.

I was, finally, able to get around the issue.  After I used Revo, I installed 10.2.  Windows, also, installed their drivers (yes, automatic driver updates was off).  However, in Device Manager, it showed both drivers installed.  I choose to use the 10.2 drivers and it's worked fine since.

I haven't heard of DDU but I'm checking it out as I type.  Sounds like a useful tool to add to my collection.

However, the problem is on Microsoft.  They only used to install basic vga drivers, then left updates to the person.  Now they have their AMD license and they have added that into the regular updates bundle.  AMD needs to limit the license in this regard.  People are capable of updating their own video drivers.  I would say Windows should fix it, but we all know that would be a pipe dream.