cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

andkatsaras
Adept II

AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 23.2.2 Causing Crashes

After I installed the new adrenalin 23.2.2 drivers my computer keeps crashing. I can't game from more that 10-15 minutes or edit videos from more than 30 minutes, and the computer just crashes. Nothing like that happened before! Only after downloading this new update my computer is continuously crashing. I tried everything and I seriously don't know what to do. Any help or anyone else having similar problems?

1 Solution

You are 100% right. The problem is 100% on AMD's drivers. I confirmed it today. I had a clean reboot of the pc, the tried with new drivers and was still crashing. Then I did the same but with 23.2.1 drivers and still crashing. Then, yet again a clean boot but this time with 22.11.2 drivers and the pc runs like a dream. No crashes, no issues whatsoever. 23.2.1 and 23.2.2 drivers are sh*t and should be avoided at all costs.

View solution in original post

57 Replies
ChronicIntake
Journeyman III

I think only thing we can do is reinstall the 22.11.2 drivers. My PC wouldn't recognize my boot device since the first update to 23.2.1 and i was forced to reset my pc and start over. Now i am def not upgrading from 22.11.2 drivers until i get full confirmation everything is fix with these new updates

You are 100% right. The problem is 100% on AMD's drivers. I confirmed it today. I had a clean reboot of the pc, the tried with new drivers and was still crashing. Then I did the same but with 23.2.1 drivers and still crashing. Then, yet again a clean boot but this time with 22.11.2 drivers and the pc runs like a dream. No crashes, no issues whatsoever. 23.2.1 and 23.2.2 drivers are sh*t and should be avoided at all costs.

I should update my crashing problems after building a new 5 5600X.   I had all these issues and more but after continuing to read more of other peoples issues with no specific time table I found one very important fix that made my problems go away.  I simply backed off the cpu cooler assy a turn all four corners and I had no more issues.  It had to do with board flex according to the first reported fix.  Now I am using a great board, not cheaply built but I do understand the thermals involved and this is a problem that at the very least should be addressed in a simple instruction for the AMD cooler assemblies.  I was ready to give up but now I plan on doing one more upgrade with another older computer using another 5600X.  Specifically this problem can pop up under many conditions and mine happened to be doing updates and any type of program needing acceleration and it was due to my dual channel memory dropping one stick

0 Likes

Eu fiz isso e infelizmente não obtive sucesso. Montei meu Pc há uma semana e não consegui jogar. Os jogos não passam de 10 minutos e travam. 

0 Likes

I did that tonight as a last resort and it too went dead and black on me, even the mouse freezes.  I am on win10 and using an B550 Tomahawk with Ryzen 5 5600X 32Gb G-Skill 3600 .  I initially tried to build this machine with these same hardwares but due to back ordered I grabbed another 3600 and ran it on this same setup, ran fine and no problems at all, soon as my 5600X arrived and the memory which I was using 3200 from another 3600 machine I had built two years ago.  So the cpu and ram was the two items changed and has not been usable for doing anything.  I have spent several days now fooling around with it and tired of wasting my time and money.  If I don't get it running soon I am going to box it all up and send it back.  Like everyone else I am tired of getting a good sc ewing.  Everything is back ordered and what is available has been shoved out the door before it even was worthy of selling.  To note before this Tomahawk I bought an AsRock board and it was dead on arrival.  I have now been 6 months repairing this one computer due to delayed and lost shipping and dead stuff.  I should have never switched to all AMD.  I have two 3600s identical in every way and wanted to update to something better and affordable slowly but this experience is enough to make my liking AMD a total 0.  You cannot replace customers lost time and money when shipping something that does not work and we the customer have no way to make it work.

0 Likes
BAG97
Adept I

same problem here started since 23.1.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is 100% on AMD's drivers. I confirmed it today. I had a clean reboot of the pc, the tried with new drivers and was still crashing. Then I did the same but with 23.2.1 drivers and still crashing. Then, yet again a clean boot but this time with 22.11.2 drivers and the pc runs like a dream. No crashes, no issues whatsoever. 23.2.1 and 23.2.2 drivers are sh*t and should be avoided at all costs.

Skrybe
Challenger

Short answer: you can always reinstall the older drivers if they worked fine. Just do a complete uninstall of the new drivers and install the old ones.

Longer answer: You need to provide a lot more information. We don't know what video card you're running, what version of windows, what power supply are you using, how old is your PC, what game(s)/apps are actually crashing, what settings are you using in them, do you have temperature monitoring for both GPU and CPU?

There is probably more information that would be useful, but you get the idea.

I encounter this issue as well. RX 6600 XT, Windows 11, Ryzen 5 3500. Didn't encounter this issue on 22.11.2.

0 Likes

The problem is 100% on AMD's drivers. I confirmed it today. I had a clean reboot of the pc, the tried with new drivers and was still crashing. Then I did the same but with 23.2.1 drivers and still crashing. Then, yet again a clean boot but this time with 22.11.2 drivers and the pc runs like a dream. No crashes, no issues whatsoever. 23.2.1 and 23.2.2 drivers are sh*t and should be avoided at all costs.

0 Likes

My pc specs are:

• CPU: AMD R9 5950X
  • GPU: AMD 6900XT ASUS TUF
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X

The computer is about a year old, so relatively new. The crashes are happening when using Adove After Effects and Premier pro, and when gaming it's crashing when I play The Witcher 3 (on DX12) and Red Dead Redemption 2. Of course with a pc like that I play on Ultra settings on 1440p. I have temperature monitoring and temperatures remain comfortably below 60 degrees C on both CPU and GPU, so I would think it's about overheating.

0 Likes

Not sure what motherboard you're running still, and in particular what BIOS version it is. And what monitor (single or dual) and refresh rate it's running at.

Have you got the latest AMD chipset drivers installed?

I assume when you say temps remain under 60 that's during load (gaming or benchmarks) not idle?

Do the Adobe products have options for GPU hardware acceleration? I'm wondering if they have run into the same (or similar) problem as Chrome/Youtube etc. While they *should* work with video acceleration they'd get random crashes so it was recommended to turn it off.

Might also be worth disabling MPO to see if that helps with the crashes/timeouts (I haven't needed to but lots of people swear it's a fix).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7/disabling_multiplane_overlay_mpo_fixed_all/

0 Likes

MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-Plus WIFI

Bios: American Megatrends Inc. 4408

I have update the chipset drivers a few days ago, a couple of days before the new GPU drivers came out.

I haven't changed a single setting since the day I built my computer. Not for adobe programs nor for gaming. The computer work as it should be when I am on the internet i.e. Youtube, Twitch etc.. I don't use Chrome but I'm using Mozilla instead but never had a problem anyways. As for monitor, I use a single monitor, 27 inch 1440p .

The computer worked perfectly until the new GPU update i.e 23.2.2 version. I haven't changed anything since day one apart from updating the bios and the chipset drivers. Never crashed or got any black screen before apart from a black screen message about a faulty CPU fan that later on I changed and the problem was fixed. Also the temperatures I mentioned are indeed under load. 

The only variable in my system were the GPU driver updates, Windows updates and programs updates. I have never EVER experienced problems like this before. The problems seems to be present only when I use programs that heavily utilize the GPU i.e video editing, graphics and gaming. For the rest the computer work fine. Thus, I would say, the only thing that's causing it is the latest GPU drivers.

Also, seeing that so many others are having the same or similar problems with the latest drivers on the older generation GPUs, it's just clear that the problem could actually be the drivers. 

The problem is windows 10 updates destroying AMD driver installs in progress, just a tangled mess especially with Microsoft now pumping out that win 11 to your system without an invitation as they did win 10.  Tried the suggested turning off updates but by the time you know you have serious problems a lot of things have been hosed already.  I'm not sure but I think allowing win 10 to use it's AMD driver and not updating it to the latest Adrenalin Driver it should run without black screening.  I will try that tomorrow because I am too tired after fooling with this stuff all day long.  I have no idea how performance will be effected but anything is better than stuttering black screens and total freeze ups.

0 Likes
Antrotan
Journeyman III

I think the problem is AMD trying to make these drivers compatible with too many generations of GPUs

They should keep the 7000 cards drivers seperate from the older generations.

When I first tried to install the 23.2.1 driver it kept causing my PC to bluescreen and restart. This happened about three times before I decided to disable Driver Signature Enforcement and only then did it install without crashing...but there were more issues. After the system rebooted my mouse was not working and all my RGB case fans were not lit. As I was about to use the keyboard to do a restart the screen went black for a few seconds and when it came back on the problem was still there. It went black a second time and when it came back everything was working ok. But then when I tried to create a system restore point the system bluescreened again. I had to run the DISM restore health command in order for it to work properly.

Same thing happened when trying to install the 23.2.2 drivers...something is not right these last two drivers! And yes I use DDU before all my driver updates.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WiFi (F37 Bios)

Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RX 6700 XT (12GB), 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4, Win 10 Pro (latest updates)

Degmond
Journeyman III

Same thing happened to me *with* 22.11.2 with a 5600 xt. Boot device wasn't recognized anymore and i had to reinstall windows. This is purely a driver problem, i had that pc running exactly the same for 2-3 years. Now with 23.2.1 it crashes rarely, but i still had a few. Am dreading to update anymore at this point.

yep its 10000% DRIVER PROBLEM NOT YOUR PC if some dummy tells u so. probably just a minority having these issues but they still present and have a high impact on peoples experiences. at least my love for amd is ruined after the rx 7000. last time last chance they fumbled. not even that cheap anymore like **bleep** so frustrating... my 2080S never made me this frustrated with all the issue that came with it. them issue were never high impact stuff that just ruined ur day...

Mr_Po0L
Journeyman III

Lol, you're lucky you can even game for 10 minutes, mine started to crash 5 seconds after booting. 

Only thing you can do that works is reset PC, start in safe mode, DDU that driver away and install the latest working one which for me is 23.11.1

I also have 22.12.2 downloaded If .1 starts acting up too.

Yep... Anyone with XP with amernime drivers

0 Likes

0 Likes

Hey Im having the same problem and now my pv wont noot unless I switch off the psu from the back for some time and turn it back on. I tried to DDU and teinstall 22.11 version but now I'm still getting crashes, even on safe mode windows and bios. What do i do?

0 Likes

Probably there is a conflict between the existing software on your pc and the drivers. If it's not a big problem for you, do a backup of your data and then have a complete windows reset. Let it delete all the existing programs, plugins, add-ons etc, and then install your graphics card drivers (obviously the previous ones 22.11.2). From what I read online from everyone who has the problem it's very strange bug that even AMD engineers are still looking for a solution. This could also help: https://www.pcworld.com/article/1529986/rare-amd-radeon-driver-bug-corrupt-windows-fix.html

0 Likes

-deleted, double posted

0 Likes

Hey, thanks for your comment, but I don't think I did a good job detailing the problem. Mind that I wrote this comment 5 days ago but it got deleted, update part is today.

Using B550-Plus Wifi2, paired with 5600x and 6900xt I built 4 months ago. I don't understand HOW. I am using 6900XT and two days ago I downloaded the gpu driver update 23.2.2. Yesterday was ok, but today, I get a crash every 15 minutes and strangely the pc stays closed, doesn't reboot, I dont even get a black screen it's a sudden RANDOM instant shutdown. If I turn on the pc after the crash, sometimes it will crash again after five seconds, right before image comes up on post logo, then it takes itself to safe mode and strangely I don't get crashes when I'm on windows safe mode nor Bios screen.

So I checked here and sighed a relief that it was driver related. Downloaded DDU and uninstalled 23.2.2 on safe mode. Downloaded 22.11.2 again and installed it, suddenly it crashed again while installing, so I DDU'd on safe mode again and installed 22.11.2. Restarted and everything was going fine. Gave the gpu a 5 minute stress test just to make sure, no crashes, cool. Then again, I get a random crash while I'm scrolling Adrenaline options(didn't even change anything), ON 22.11.2, or even simply looking at desktop, I get a crash nonetheless.

22.11.2 was working properly last day but after updating to 23.2.2, after crashes uninstalling it, and reinstalling 22.11.2, I'm still getting crashes. I'm going to try even older ones and hopefully come back with results... 

UPDATE:  It even crashes on bios screen WITH THE CARD TAKEN OUT. I don't know how this is possible, I defaulted the bios settings and uninstalled ALL GPU drivers with DDU, and it still crashes even in safe mode, driverless, or driverless and gpu card taken out in bios. After it crashes, pressing the power button does nothing, the system doesn't even light up. Then I have to switch off the power for a good 2 hours before it starts again, but pc crashes after 15 mins again, on second boot it lights up for 4-5 seconds and shuts down, for the third time I press the start button it wouldn't even light up. So I thought, huh, maybe this isn't driver related at all and took out my PSU (hydro g pro 1000w-4 month old basically new) (My CPU and GPU temps were always way below 70- so they weren't the reason I was crashing) and sent it to be checked by the service. I am waiting for a response from them and I will update here. I didn't have problems booting into Windows, my pc just crashes out of nowhere, without any temp problem from cpu or gpu so I made the semi-educated guess that it might be either motherboard VRMs heating up or a problem with PSU. I couldn't flash BIOS and check it because of fear that it might crash during setup and my mobo would be bricked.

Any ideas why my computer randomly crashes and doesn't boot at all afterwards? Any idea is welcome

0 Likes

Have to add this: I didn't get blue screens or black screens, its a hard, instant PC crash.

0 Likes

Honestly this sounds like something hardware related. The giveaway being if you let it sit for awhile it'll boot again. My first thought would be that the CPU cooler isn't seated properly. Do you understand how to replace the heatsink and thermal paste? If so I'd suggest you pull the CPU heatsink, redo the thermal paste and reseat the CPU heatsink. If not, then you'll need to find a friend who knows how to do it or a PC shop. I know you said temps were ok, but that's what the problem looks like to me. Oh and what CPU heatsink/cooler are you using? Just the standard AMD one or an aftermarket?

It could also be a faulty PSU, again since the PC boots after it's left off for awhile it suggests that maybe the PSU is overheating after awhile and won't function properly until it cools down. That's less likely though. It's pretty easy to test if you have access to a second PSU since you just swap them and see if the problem goes away.

I am using SE-234 by ID cooling, not the stock cooler, at most during gaming my 5600X rose up to 65 degrees, so I don't really think it is CPU related, even on Bios screen, when the computer kept crashing the temps were at most 45-50 degrees, and fans were working fine. I sent the PSU to the service about 2 days ago and it should  reach them tomorrow. I will get a better picture of what the problem might be after they review the product, it is highly unlikely a PSU can overheat and cause crashes but honestly I have no idea what else the problem might be coming from... All the parts are brand new and I only used them for 4 months, apart from the 6900 XT, which I bought second hand, it was about 4 months old and the previous user was a 3D designer that couldn't get the card to work properly for the programs he used and he wasn't very tech savvy, I did the necessary temperature tests and benchmarks and bought it for a good price, I have the receipts and everything to prove that the card is about 9 months old, performance was amazing for the 4 months I used it for.

Though the PSU had some problems.

1- The PSU made a crackling noise when I turned the on/off switch at the back of it, and if I unplugged the power cable, there also was a crackling electricity sound.

2- EVERY TIME I turned off my PC, the GPU lights that were on the slot where the PCIE cables went in lighted up RED and made a loud click sound, on the graphics card. I looked it up on the net but found nothing about this symptom, so I thought it was normal.

I would've really liked to flash the BIOS and run my tests again but as the system was not stable at all, I could've very easily ended up with a dead mobo should the power go out.

0 Likes

Yikes, weird sounds coming from PSU don't install confidence. Hopefully they'' find something and replace/fix it.

As for the cooler, that one should be plenty, and if the CPU was only maxing at 65 then it was definitely working right. Can't see anything in the Mobo manual about LEDs for the PCIe slots. Did you mean the LEDs on the video card itself?

Yeah, the Videocard made a crack sound and 2 lights where the power cables go in flashed red, everytime I shut off my PC. Using 6900XT Merc. People say the red lights are symbols for power not being delivered, but it felt odd nevertheless that it would make a loud noise like that, maybe that ain't normal. I've contacted FSP and they will prepare a report for the PSU on Friday. Going to try my luck with a PSU, if they say that the unit is pristine- working as intented I don't know what to do, maybe I will send in the mobo next, thanks for the replies.

0 Likes

It's not unusual to hear some noise, but if it's a loud "crack" that doesn't sound right. See what they say about the PSU, and maybe consider testing the video card some more. Of course "loud" is subjective, so while it seems loud to you someone else might find it normal.

0 Likes

Turns out it was all a PSU issue, replaced it and everything is ok

0 Likes
Rvn4nt
Adept I

Same problem here. Its unbelievable that they have not given us an answer yet.

0 Likes

0 Likes
InYoFace
Journeyman III

Both Adrenalin versions (23.2.1) and (23.2.2) are causing the crash mainly with the next RX7000 cards! You can't play Sons of the Forest, cause everytime you get near a water resource the game keeps crashing.

AMD couldn't **bleep** it up more...

If they don't fix it soon I'm sending back my card and switch to team green! At least they know how to fix a driver.

For all who has random crashes :

I had random crashes . Just an advice that i dont know it will work with your system but it works with me :

Put on adrenalin parameters -> settings -> GPU -> Undervoltage  ... And T° will back to normal but always at 100 %

0 Likes