cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

georgekps
Adept III

Feedback on Adrenalin 22.10.1 and earlier drivers

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.1 got released and once again, AMD has shown us its software prowess by releasing another broken driver continuing the same trend as with every driver released after 22.5.1 being plagued with bugs. 

And yes, still there are slowdowns when an SSD is loading stuff, there's stutter all over the place and FRTC to a max value of lower than your FS monitor still sets the in-game fps about 10fps lower (FRTC set a 178, in-game max fps is 168).

Thank you AMD for making me REALLY considering buying from nVIDIA or Intel next time.

PC build: 5800X3D, Asus C6H, 6800XT, NVMe, SSDs and HDDs, Creative SBX AE-5, LG 48-180Hz FS 1440p
26 Replies
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

Asssuming you have blackscreens im guessing you also have 2 screens with 2 different refresh rates right ?

edit: btw i feel just like you however i feel that way about Nvidia as well, altho they usually have a better reputation with their drivers, i have had issues with them, but my problems aren't usually with their drivers but how greedy they are, so i am at the point where im strongly considering going back Nvidia, but at the same time want to avoid doing so because how terrible gsync has been.

(Haha, not even. I can't imagine what my problems would be if i had 2 monitors)

I have a single monitor, 1440p with FS of 180Hz. I set the FRTC at 178 and in-game it goes to 168fps. And it's not the 10fps difference, it's the fact that there is something wrong.

And i've had used DDU as well as reinstall windows.

And AMD still has not released a recommended driver for almost half a year now.

PC build: 5800X3D, Asus C6H, 6800XT, NVMe, SSDs and HDDs, Creative SBX AE-5, LG 48-180Hz FS 1440p
avendorz
Adept II

by stutter i guess you're referring to the dx11 frame drops, e.g. destiny etc.?

i've got that issue as well unfortunately, drivers i tried since 22.5.1 are trash in that regard. i havent tried earlier drivers.

5600x and 6800.

Yes but not in Destiny. I tried Diablo II resurrected and Guild Wars 2, both of which have both stutter and frame drops. Diablo though lets FPS go to 176 (it's the in-game setting). Setting the max fps to 0 will take the max fps 10 178.

not sure, do they both run under dx11?

No, Guild Wars 2 is DX11 and Diablo 2 Resurrected is DX12.

Funny thing that i just noticed. I restarted the PC, run GW2 and max fps was 168. Then i run D2R with 0 in-game max fps and it went to 178 as set in FRTC. Then i run GW2 and the max fps was 178 too. Restarted the pc, did the same things and had the same results.

Slow-downs and stutter is there too. Plus, it seems it's more obvious when the drive is reading. GW2 is on an NVMe, Diablo 2 is on an SSD (SATA).

for me the 22.8.2 is running without big issues!!

5800X & RX6800

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes

i already RMA'd the card. not bothering with this anymore.

Axton
Challenger

After testing these on my 6950xt I think I'm going back to 22.9.2 or 22.9.1.

Does anyone else notice that the release notes of every driver since the 6950xt came out do not include that specific model gpu:

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.5.2 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.

Radeon™ RX 6900/6800/6700/6600/6500/6400 Series Graphics

Bit strange for a flagship product. 

0 Likes

'Series Graphics', self explanatory.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
Tracker
Adept I

Hello, for me, I think they are the worst drivers that I have tried on my RX 6800 XT, they stutter even in windows, not to mention when I am playing and the second monitor I try to see something like a facebook page or a forum, the pc freezes completely this controller is a complete mess for me

same card, same problem

MADZyren
Paragon

I don't have these problems with 5700XT and any driver version, but have you tried updating BIOS as there is a fix for fTPM related stutter issue? I have the latest BIOS.

Also I would try to cap FPS to what your monitor Hz is, minus two or half of monitors Hz. You could also try an all-core clockspeed at lower voltage instead of trying to push highest clockspeeds. My 3800X runs faster in average with higher lows at 4.2Gz all-core than allowing it to boost 4.5+

Also I would disable enhanced sync

0 Likes

I have the latest BIOS with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7 and a 5800X3D

There are absolutely no problems with 22.5.1. The problems are with every driver after that.

I have Advanced Sync disabled and FPS are caped to 178 through RFTC (monitor's refresh rate is 180Hz).

Interesting. You have a very fast monitor. Wonder if freesync can't keep up. I would try to cap FPS to say 144 just to see if it changes anything.

Since fTPM stutter was a known thing, just to be sure, I'd reset BIOS, enable XMP/DOCP and other such features like virtualization support for enhanced security, smart access memory aso. I would probably not OC CPU, nor use PBO. 

Try driver uninstaller and do a clean reinstall (unless haven't already)

Also I've this this Windows update might cause some stutter/performance issues: KB5017383

But of course, drivers should work without help

0 Likes
Vladimir545
Adept I

Asus x570-e gaming wifi || -bios 4404
5950x -b2 -stock
32GB 2x16-DDR4 Gskill 3200 (14-14-14-32-Cr2)
6800xt Gigabyte gaming oc, 22.10.1
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power-11-850w
Case: FD Meshnify S2
Liquid cooling: FD Celcius s36

Windows 11h2 -22000.1098, Sam - ON

Driver mostly goodIn games, excluding some points:

1) I don't like how accelerated video plays, hevc, d3d12va and overal dxva
- sometimes no smooth rewind or drop frames.   

Probably cuz agressive power managment of videocard and some errors with decoding HEVC - HOPE this will be fixed in near future

2) Second, the rarely and sometimes, driver shows different performance in the same game, I suspect that the driver changes the settings or something else happens, reinstalling the driver solves this problem for a while.

I really don’t like this behavior, why not use the standard profile for games, and I myself will decide what to change or not.

3) Third -  Not very great performance in UE4 games and quality working with UE4 ENGINE - vs my old 1080ti- , I would like to improve the caching of such games, more fps, and add the option to control shader cache in new drivers.  Overall more faster and stability working with such engine.

4) Very rarely, when using third-party overlays, such as Steam, Discord, and others, performance degradation is observed.

Except for this, the driver is very smooth and high fps, in games such as: AC Valhalla,CP 2077,FC6 AND MFS2020 AND OTHERS.

0 Likes
oark
Adept III

AMD is a trap, after using Radeon VII (Black Screen Simulator) and 6800 XT FE for almost 4 years and lately after grey screen problems and stability issues.

I am happily going to move back to NVIDIA and just waiting 4090 to arrive

Screenshot 2022-10-14 162240.png 

Nice, it costs like $3000 here

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

While I've been very unhappy with their drivers for most of the time I've owned my aib 6900 xt they did manage to fix their broken fonts which was exposed using kodi.  Recently my 2nd monitor, both are ultrawides that pixel out like a 4k monitor @ 144hz stopped randomly blanking while watching a videos on it while gaming on the primary.

On the other hand they've managed to break grey overlays in world of warships in all drivers post 22.5.1.  I was dead set on getting a rtx 40xx card until pricing was announced and that took the wind out of my sails.

0 Likes

I almost feel the need to buy a 6000-series GPU just to see what is going on. I have not had issues with R9 390 nor 5700XT. There is like a small guy with horns and a pointy tail on my shoulder whispering, those are user inflicted problems and all you need to do is install everything from the ground up properly. Probably ain't so, but the dude on my shoulder is really bugging me.

0 Likes

unlikely that most of these are user related with the amount of people complaining.

plus my best answer: i had a 3070 in this system before and everything was fine (except for the unbearable coil whine).

0 Likes

No its not most of these issues people are having are very close related to known issues already listed, optional drivers aren't stable they are beta, ofcourse this is not always the case but consider dx11 was fixed this may work for most games, but apps also use directx and if they have bug they will cause issues, just look at google chrome issues right now.

Coil whine also happens mostly from PSU, you hear coil whine at an angle from the psu which would put your ear near the gpu even tho its the PSU, if had zero coolwhine since i went Lian Li PC O11 dynamic xl which has psu in different angle, i put my ear at angle near it i hear a slight coilwhine, this is better or worse depending on how good the PSU is.

0 Likes

(fixed some typos)

"i had a 3070 in this system before and everything was fine"

I get the logic behind that, but it isn't that simple.
1) Sometimes moving from hardware to hardware leaves traces to registry and files and only way to get rid of the past is a clean install
2) There can be a feature, hardware or software bug in some other piece of hardware, which only manifests with some hardware, but not with other.
3) aso...

While there is a good chance AMD's drivers are to blame for, I have encountered so much strange things causings symptoms you just would not connect to what caused them, my solution often is to check everything from ground up. Logic and intuition still has its role in fixing computers, but... not always

"with the amount of people complaining"

It is difficult to asses. Most likely millions have bought 6000 series GPU's, so if the ones with problems are in the thousands, so 1/1000? This doesn't mean it still isn't annoying and there is room for improvement.

Dassick
Journeyman III

Came here and made an account just to comment. I had a 3080 12gb that went boom. So I returned it under protection plan and got a 6900 xt red devil. Temps were good seemed ok. Guild wars 2 TERRIBLE stuttering. Witcher 3 Freezing for .5 seconds with stutters all over. Spiderman remastered was fine. Tarkov, unplayable. Did all the stuff. DDU in safe mode network disabled, installed drivers, ect.

I ended up taking it back and getting a MSI gaming x trio 6900 xt. Didn't even change the drivers, just put the card in... Problem almost gone. All games barely have any issues, if they do I hardly notice. frame times are smooth.

Did the exact same thing with a asrock phantom 6900 xt stutters all over witcher 3, GW2 ect. Spiderman again fine. The frame generation time was all over the place... DDU drivers in safe mode and installed ect. no change.

Put the MSI card back in and worked fine. Something is going on because all I'm doing it changing the card for another and get different results. Same setup, same drivers, not even reinstalling, just swapping the physical card. So there must be a lot of cards with issues because this is now happened on 2 out of 3 cards I have tried. I could do an RMA, but I would rather return it and wait for something else to come in stock at this point. The first one was a Open Box BTW. So that may be why it was returned. Normally if that happens you would mention it being faulty during a return, but I guess everyone is different.

I forgot to add my system specs. I9 9900kf custom loop. G.skill 2666 16gb x2 ram. Auros elite wifi Mobo. Corsair 1200hx PSU. 3x 2 TB HDD, 512 Samsung nvme boot drive.

Also update. I installed this 6900 XT into my girlfriend's rig I built. She's running MSI B550 with R7 5800x 240 AIO, 2x 8 gb Corsair 3600 ram. Seasonic 850 platinum PSU. Was using 3060ti but I swapped in the 6900 xt to test. Results:

Still have micro stutters, not nearly as bad as before. Note, this is on pcie gen 4. vs 3 in my build. Now 3000 series cards can't saturate pcie 3 bus width at 1440. How ever using all AMD did improve the frametimes significantly. Without SAM enabled. It does perform better in general. I would call it acceptable, but not for $700 GPUs. For this price there should only be occasional (new area once an hour) stutters. If smooth gameplay matters to you, I would steer clear of 6900 xt's currently. 

0 Likes
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

Try forcing on vsync in amd control panel, this may fix the issues, appearntly default vertical syncrhonisation setting forces enchanced sync on by default giving blackscreens even if enchanced sync is turned off, that toggle does nothing at all, while if enchanced sync is on and you record desktop or game game fps is limited to refresh rate while if not recording it exceeds refresh rate, the same with playing a video on same screen in always on top like picture in picture while in game also changes it as if syncrhonisation is set to vsync instead.

So enchanced sync never got fixed, instead they decided to force it on by default, and the only way to turn it off is have instant replay turned on + desktop recording or force vsync on

My blackscreens trigger normally instant to 2 minutes with whatsapp desktop video call, if i record desktop it won't blackscreen neither if i force vsync.

AMD rep i communicated with decidded to block me, im verry pissed off if been reporting the issue since 22.7.1 and it feels like im being down played, he's last response was that he forwarded the kernel dump to Microsoft cos he insist its a Microsoft issue, clearly has no clue whats causing this but i found out and told him, and what he do he decided to block me on reddit.

Oke fine i wont do any bug reports anymore after this i guess AMD drivers are gonna be trash forever, i just figure out whatever bandaid works for me or stick to old drivers, and buy a Nvidia gpu next generation.

The only way i change my mind if AMD apoligizes to everyone for having made a mess of their drivers since 22.5.2 and breaking default sync behaviour and fixing the blackscreen issues and stuttering, appearntly instant replay being on or forcing vsync also fixes the stutter, how ironic that it ends up being a AMD driver issue afterall and not Microsoft issue like claimed, altho Microsoft really should create a standard for enchanced sync and fast sync already that can be used in game, instead of being forced from driver, clearly forcing synchronisation behaviour other then vsync on causes huge problems, with apps trying to fight the driver and blackscreening in the process.

0 Likes